Rachel Dolezal resigned as the president of the Spokane, Washington chapter of the NAACP because she tried to identify as a black person, even though both of her parents are white.

NY Times -- Rachel Dolezal, Ex-N.A.A.C.P. Official: ‘I Identify as Black’ (article link)

Was it the right decision for Dolezal to resign, given that she seemed to be very sincere on being an advocate for African-Americans? Is this merely a case of the cover-up being worse than the actual misdeed?
    06-16-2015 06:01 PM
    I think she should have resigned at the least. If she wanted to work for the NAACP and supports their views, that's fine. To essentially role play the entire thing, complete with fabricating her upbringing, and use that to promote a cause is simply deception.

I don't remember the guy's name, but one of her defenders on a news interview actually suggested more blacks may support her, a white woman from Idaho, than Clarence Thomas, a poor black boy from the South that rose up to attend Yale and became one of only two black Supreme Court justices. Dolezal is pretending to be black and can end the role play at any time, while Thomas had to live it and has no choice in being black. Does that make sense to anyone?
    06-17-2015 01:15 PM
    It is her deception and clearly delusional state of mind that riled up people. As far as race is concerned, the African American community welcomes all as long as you become part of the community while upholding honesty and integrity at the same time.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    06-17-2015 05:57 PM
    I think she should have resigned at the least. If she wanted to work for the NAACP and supports their views, that's fine. To essentially role play the entire thing, complete with fabricating her upbringing, and use that to promote a cause is simply deception.

I don't remember the guy's name, but one of her defenders on a news interview actually suggested more blacks may support her, a white woman from Idaho, than Clarence Thomas, a poor black boy from the South that rose up to attend Yale and became one of only two black Supreme Court justices. Dolezal is pretending to be black and can end the role play at any time, while Thomas had to live it and has no choice in being black. Does that make sense to anyone?
    Maybe because just because someone is black doesn't mean other black people should respect them automatically. Has he spoke on civil rights issues? Does he speak on discrimination and racism? No? Then the comparison is weak.

Rachel for all her flaws spoke on those issues and may have been deceitful in some, I think it is interesting how much of a difference it is.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-18-2015 11:11 AM
    So you'd rather support a liar than an honest person? Or are you saying Clarence Thomas isn't "black enough," kinda like how people referred to Bill Clinton as our first black president?

Like I posted at first, I have no problem with her supporting the NAACP if she wants. My problem is that she lied about who she really is. That takes away much of her credibility and due respect.
    06-18-2015 11:25 AM
    So you'd rather support a liar than an honest person? Or are you saying Clarence Thomas isn't "black enough," kinda like how people referred to Bill Clinton as our first black president?
    Lol, are you seriously not reading my post? I said Clarence never touches on the topics Rachel did touch on.

If he said or did anything worth caring about, I could see supporting him. But nothing in my post said I support Rachel, I just said she was actually discussing topics that otherwise get no attention. And it is funny that we all say she lied about being black, but never touched on the fact a white person was more comfortable being black than white.

Like I posted at first, I have no problem with her supporting the NAACP if she wants. My problem is that she lied about who she really is. That takes away much of her credibility and due respect.
    I agree but just paying attention to one thing and ignoring others is just paying attention to one side of it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-18-2015 04:00 PM
    It really seems that most of Dolezal's issues arise from the fact that she was falsifying her identity and background.

Still, the incident with Dolezal has raised a few questions: Could a white person become black? Is there such thing as a trans-racial person? How much of a person's racial identity is based on skin color versus upbringing?

We'll probably have people talking about Dolezal for a long time.
    06-19-2015 05:17 AM
    My general feeling about trans-* anything is I don't care what the person does, so long as it's not harming others. If s someone wants a change how they appear, I'll tolerate it. That doesn't mean I'll automatically accept it, I just won't hate them for it. That's why I didn't chime in on the Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner issue. My initial reaction was, "who is he and why should I care?" At least he came out about his transformation, though I didn't care for the media spectacle surrounding it.

In the case of Dolezal, she purposely mislead the people she claimed to support. Had she been up front, then the people following her and voting her into power could have done so with full knowledge of the situation. It sounds silly to go through that, but that's her choice.
    06-19-2015 05:50 AM