Some computer systems of the federal government were hacked, and the Obama administration believes China is behind it:

San Jose Mercury News -- Signs point to Chinese government in federal employee data hack (article link)

It seems that the US government is falling behind in the area of cyber security. If the US government can't protect the data of its own employees, how do you think other institutions will fare? We have to remember that not everyone has access to vast resources like the federal government does.
    06-20-2015 01:30 AM
    We have to remember that not everyone has access to vast resources like the federal government does.
    I think it'll have mixed, but perhaps better results in the private sector. You'd think the government computers would be the most secure, but they've shown us time and again that you can't simply throw money at a problem and expect it'll be fixed. Just look at the botched roll out of Obamacare's website and the questions surrounding the privacy and security of using one of their "navigators."

The private sector may not have as much financial resources in any single company, but competition and customer demands drive innovation and security advancements. They are also held more accountable than the government bureaucracy. I'd trust my small credit union's security more than the government's at this point.
    06-20-2015 08:23 AM
    Yeah it sucks.
    06-22-2015 03:08 PM
    For me it really sucks; have gotten an E-mail from OPM about this, which means my identity has been stolen. Have been around long enough to know "don't open" strange e_mails or click on links. I satisfied myself that was legit - Google searching URL & going to web site, etc. Finally opened e-mail - required to use "key" - did not copy & paste but typed. So now I have auto credit checks. From reading a lot of stories about this, I hope it is a China Gov. hack. The reason is personal, if China; then they possibly stole id's from people who worked/or retired from gov & they will not sell ssn's or id's to hackers/scammers. From reports they may have been trying to get ids from fed. workers who have/or in past have had security clearances. That is a stretch for me; I was drafted in 1965 but had a "top secret" clearance; only served 2 years; are my records on computer?
    06-22-2015 06:02 PM
    For me it really sucks; have gotten an E-mail from OPM about this, which means my identity has been stolen. Have been around long enough to know "don't open" strange e_mails or click on links. I satisfied myself that was legit - Google searching URL & going to web site, etc. Finally opened e-mail - required to use "key" - did not copy & paste but typed. So now I have auto credit checks. From reading a lot of stories about this, I hope it is a China Gov. hack. The reason is personal, if China; then they possibly stole id's from people who worked/or retired from gov & they will not sell ssn's or id's to hackers/scammers. From reports they may have been trying to get ids from fed. workers who have/or in past have had security clearances. That is a stretch for me; I was drafted in 1965 but had a "top secret" clearance; only served 2 years; are my records on computer?
    I agree, but in my case, I retired a few years ago with a TS clearance with a ton of modifiers. And I'm sure they would have loved to have my access; especially when I was overseas.

But, here's a thought. I agree China does not want your credit card number, or SS, but they could sell it on the market to those who would love to get that information.

The CSID website and protection is great, but would also suggest you contact Experian and put on a credit check hold. It will stop any FULL credit checks run until you are notified and approve. It will not stop the basic info checks such as run by Verizon, AT&T etc. for getting a phone plan, but the full check performed by a credit card company, mortgage company, etc. (When I jumped to Verizon I received an email from CSID saying a limited credit check had been performed by Verizon.)
    Scott7217 likes this.
    08-12-2015 11:06 AM
    In the past we have had both of our credit cards compromised, numbers changed on both cards & no liability on our part. Don't plan on ever getting credit again (will pay cash for anything we will buy. If I was to do anything, I would put a "freeze" on all credit reports ( costs $20? per). So for $60 approx. no one could even look at your report much less get any new credit in your name. I have 2 factor passwords on all important accounts, all others I don't care about (but have different passwords for all accounts). If you ever need credit, then unfreeze the appropriate company & refreeze for $20.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    08-12-2015 12:56 PM
    But, here's a thought. I agree China does not want your credit card number, or SS, but they could sell it on the market to those who would love to get that information.
    That's a good point. I could easily see plenty of corrupt Chinese government officials thinking this way.

The sad part is that people could be very careful with their personal data, but the US government will still be the weakest link.
    08-12-2015 01:18 PM
    Unfortunately, today & recent past all governments (local, state & feds) are suffering from lack of funds (not blaming any political party) because is happening everywhere no matter which party is in power. When budgets get short the first things cut are maintenance & IT. Where & when I worked for the Feds, the main database was based on Cobol (old old computer language developed in to 60's (never got the funds to upgrade). I did not start working for the Feds until the mid 90's after I was 55.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    08-12-2015 02:26 PM
    The private sector may not have as much financial resources in any single company, but competition and customer demands drive innovation and security advancements.
    The problem I see is that the private sector may not have information about enemies capable of a hack, especially if we are talking about foreign governments. The US government at least has access to information from spies and signals intelligence. Using this information, the US government could implement a reasonable defense.
    08-22-2015 08:00 PM
    The US government at least has access to information from spies and signals intelligence. Using this information, the US government could implement a reasonable defense.
    Setting that part aside for a moment, I don't think either side has all the answers but I think the private sector would have a better chance at finding problems and dealing with them quickly. If you throw in spy intelligence like you're talking about, the government would have the upper hand there, but actually dealing with it is another matter. Ideally, they would make that info available to the private sector to let them all get to work on it. That doesn't mean giving away confidential information, just simply putting it out there that they spotted a cyber vulnerability and here's what it it's.
    08-22-2015 08:31 PM
    Isn't there a new office in silicon valley specifically designed to interact with the private sector in a much more meaningful way to hopefully mitigate these types of attacks in the future?
    08-26-2015 11:11 PM
    That doesn't mean giving away confidential information, just simply putting it out there that they spotted a cyber vulnerability and here's what it it's.
    I wouldn't be surprised if foreign governments sent spies to infiltrate tech companies.

If the US government alerts the companies, the spies will simply let their handlers know so that all cyber attacks will be one step ahead of the countermeasures.
    08-28-2015 01:40 PM