MAN ACCUSED IN SAN FRANCISCO PIER 14 SHOOTING ADMITS TO CRIME [Article]

In the interview, Francisco Sanchez not only admits to shooting Kate Steinle (if only accidentally), he also reportedly said he keeps returning to San Francisco specifically because it's a "sanctuary city." This has brought the debate about sanctuary cities into the lime light again. Sanchez has been deported numerous times and already has several felony arrests. In this case, Immigration and Customs Enforcement had notified the local Sheriff's dept. to let them know when Sanchez would be released following a prior drug crime sentence so ICE could take him into custody. Instead, the Sheriff's dept allowed Sanchez to go free into the community, in which he later supposedly found the gun that he claims accidentally went off and shot Steinle.

Had ICE been able to take Sanchez into custody, the shooting likely wouldn't have happened. A lot of people are now voicing their opinions against sanctuary cities. Some are just saying the cities are interfering with the Federal government's right to deal with illegal aliens. Others are going so far as to want to put the San Francisco mayor and other reliant officials on trial for being culpable to the murder due to their local laws preventing federal immigration enforcement.

Personally, I think sanctuary cities should be outlawed and those officials held accountable for willfully hampering federal immigration investigations. For this specific case, I'm not sure how much blame the city deserves. IF the murder investigation determines Sanchez found the gun at random AND that the gun fired on its own accidentally (which I find both of those to be highly suspect, given the other details in the article above), then I probably wouldn't hold the city accountable for the murder itself. I would hold them accountable for letting a known illegal with a rap sheet go free without at least informing ICE of the release ahead of time.
    07-07-2015 08:13 AM
    Mooncatt, you are right on. Sanctuary city(s) is just another attempt to tear our country apart.
    07-07-2015 10:37 AM
    This is truly sickening. The blame for this woman's death is squarely on the shoulders of San Francisco. I hope her family takes the city to the cleaners in court.

Sent from my XT1096
    07-07-2015 09:28 PM