04-30-2021 12:36 PM
36 12
tools
    Not distanced or anything but I do have parents and some non-friend acquaintances that disagree with some of the more extreme libertarian beliefs that I have.
    12-28-2019 01:31 PM
    Saw this happening a lot in the recent UK election, unfortunately.
    It has made UK politics so toxic
    12-28-2019 01:50 PM
    It has made UK politics so toxic
    Yes...although the toxicity largely depends on who you talk to and how extreme/moderate they are. Unfortunately the increased toxicity is increasing worldwide. However, it seems that Boris Johnson (the PM) is now pursuing a line of stopping the animosity and ‘let the healing begin’...I hope that most people will agree that he is right on that.
    12-28-2019 04:37 PM
    I dumped my family decades ago for different reasons. I did find myself completely floored when I realized some of my "friends" didn't see abuse or racism as a dealbreaker, and I lost all trust and respect for them, so I cut ties and moved on. I knew I didn't have the required people skills to engage in a "meaningful debate", because i find nothing in common with abuse apologists, so I let my views known loud and clear and then cut ties... for the better.
    I am naturally reclusive with a ton of issues, I shun people to begin with anyway so this was better for me. I'm too old to put up with certain things, it's better this way.
    Javier P and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-18-2020 12:35 PM
    Yes. Extended family and I haven't spoken for at least four years. Sad, but they're just people - family, yes, but just people too.
    My immediate family and I are pretty tolerant of each other's views. We don't agree on everything, but respect each other enough not to let it get between us.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    11-25-2020 01:32 PM
    My family are all country folk, all pretty laid-back, and don't feel the need to bring up politics when there's so many better things to do with family. I feel very lucky because I know many people waving their flags everywhere and losing friends/family right and left. Life's too short to lose important people that way
    11-26-2020 07:09 AM
    I have deleted my Twitter account because I refuse to be part of such a toxic place for humanity. There is no positivity on Twitter - everyone wants to be contrary, ugly, and filled with hate.
    Agreed.
    11-26-2020 07:53 AM
    I welcome open, fact-backed political discussion. But the moment you tell me “I’m wrong and you’re right” is when the discussion stops.
    11-26-2020 07:57 AM
    I have snoozed people on FB for 30 days so I did not have to read their hate and animosity. I do not wave flags and I do not have signs on my car. I do not need the response that might be given based off of what I may think or like. I can call out people on both sides when it gets extreme.
    11-26-2020 09:51 AM
    Twitter is even worse...the moment you say anything remotely controversial an army of twitter users descends to insult and threaten you
    I insulted Putin.
    For this, Twitter suspended my account.
    All my followers are gone but i can't deactivate my account and i can't remove my photos.
    So i uninstalled the app, blocked Twitter from my email and reported Twitter as spam.
    Goodbye Twitter.
    I'm a little annoyed but by no means upset:
    There's more to life than social media.
    I don't plan on pleading my case to Twitter, I'm happy to let that go.
    What is really important is the way I vote, and that, no one or nothing will take it away from me.
    I'll keep insulting Putin in real life 😜
    aximtreo likes this.
    04-24-2021 09:32 AM
    Ever since I ditched my family's religious-political extremist conspiracy theories that had a negative effect on my mental health and other aspects of my life, I've been avoiding politics in general (especially with them). Now I only really care about politics if it either affects tech (right to repair, copyright law, privacy laws...) or LGBTQIA+ rights (honestly the most important issue for me since I'm part of that community myself), and tend to ignore the rest that doesn't concern my daily life. Honestly, making these changes to decrease my involvement with politics has just made me feel better, but it does come at the cost of my family getting annoyed at times so I kinda just lay low.
    04-30-2021 12:36 PM
36 12