Especially since the last USA presidential election, I've heard and read online of many people who no longer associate with certain relatives or friends due to their political views.

For example, for holiday gatherings like Thanksgiving dinner, some who were always present were now uninvited.

I've never been a very political person, although I always vote. I am unaffiliated. I don't ever recall when I was young that anyone in my family discussed politics at dinner or family gatherings. I honestly am not sure what party my parents belonged to and who they voted for. The first election I even acknowledged as a child was for John F. Kennedy.

I rarely, if ever, talk about politics with friends or neighbors either. Have you had anyone shun you due to your political opinions?

Have you separated yourself from a friend or family member because you don't like their political party or views? Are you tolerant of other people's views even if you disagree with them?
    01-20-2019 11:16 AM
    It's my full and honest opinion that there is nothing more anti American than attacking or disowning your family or fellow American for different political views.
    Scott337, Vega007, Golurk and 1 others like this.
    01-20-2019 11:41 AM
    It's my full and honest opinion that there is nothing more anti American than attacking or disowning your family or fellow American for different political views.
    I agree, giving politics that much power is not reasonable when it comes to relationships with other people.
    Scott337 and Golurk like this.
    01-20-2019 06:30 PM
    I'm gonna have to remember that one.

I haven't really distanced myself from anyone for differing views. Heck, I enjoy civilized debate. Thankfully the company I keep does remain civil even when we disagree. I have had people cut me from their life for my views, and they have my pity. If you go around only listening to an echo chamber of opinion, you'll remain a very ignorant person.
    Golurk likes this.
    02-18-2019 08:22 PM
    Yes I have especially when that's all they talk about or post on social media. I had to take an uncle off my Facebook because all he did was argue about Trump and couldn't handle anything negative said about him. It's become almost like a cult and I can see why someone wouldn't want that negativity in their lives.
    06-20-2019 02:18 AM
    If you go around only listening to an echo chamber of opinion, you'll remain a very ignorant person.
    Exactly this.

It's become almost like a cult and I can see why someone wouldn't want that negativity in their lives.
    Also agreed. People can take it too far, just like the people who are 100% negative on everything Trump does. You have to look at everything objectively but instead people seem to use emotion rather than practical thought.
    Mooncatt and Golurk like this.
    06-27-2019 11:19 AM

People can take it too far, just like the people who are 100% negative on everything Trump does. You have to look at everything objectively but instead people seem to use emotion rather than practical thought.
    Twitter is even worse...the moment you say anything remotely controversial an army of twitter users descends to insult and threaten you
    Vega007 likes this.
    08-20-2019 01:10 PM
    Twitter is even worse...the moment you say anything remotely controversial an army of twitter users descends to insult and threaten you
    I have deleted my Twitter account because I refuse to be part of such a toxic place for humanity. There is no positivity on Twitter - everyone wants to be contrary, ugly, and filled with hate.
    08-20-2019 02:34 PM
    I never was a Twit.
    08-20-2019 02:41 PM
    Lol
    09-08-2019 08:22 AM
    Discussing about politics is good, necessary and even healthy. I love it even knowing that it can result in tense dinners with relatives and friends. But I don't see the actual situation as a political confrontation, it's something else. Similar problem is happening in the US, Brazil, where I live, and in many other countries. It's a moral discussion or at least this is how I see it.

You can't paint sexism, misogyny, ignorance, bigotry or plain racism as a political discussion. I'm always happy to discuss about different political views but I can't be quiet when what I take as basic human decency is destroyed on a daily basis with so many people ignoring how dangerous this can be.
    09-08-2019 02:21 PM