It seems to me that the last round of campaigning in the last presidential election started too early and felt like it went on forever. Still goes on to this day by the president himself, he never seemed to graduate from the campaign trail even after he was elected.

Now, it's starting all over again for 2020, way too early in my opinion. I thought I remembered in past years that the election cycle was much shorter, and once a president won and was in office, politics calmed down until the next election.

Do you think campaigning is becoming excessive in the United States? Do you think what is starting again right now is too soon for the next election?
    03-13-2019 03:55 PM
    This has been an issue for the past several election cycles. I think what may be setting this apart that makes it seem to be ongoing is the vehement opposition against President Trump, especially from the democrats.

I seem to recall they wanted to explore impeachment since day one, despite not even having a chance to commit an impeachable offense yet. Their ace up their sleeve was supposed to be that whole Trump/Russia collusion scandal, which hopefully just ended today with the announcement from the Muller report of no evidence. So for the past 2+ years, Trump has been attacked left and right (pun only slightly intended). Unlike most Republicans, he doesn't take it laying down. He fights back, which is what is likely making it seem like he's still on the campaign.
    03-13-2019 04:33 PM

I seem to recall they wanted to explore impeachment since day one, despite not even having a chance to commit an impeachable offense yet.

Their ace up their sleeve was supposed to be that whole Trump/Russia collusion scandal, which hopefully just ended today with the announcement from the Muller report of no evidence.

So for the past 2+ years, Trump has been attacked left and right (pun only slightly intended). Unlike most Republicans, he doesn't take it laying down. He fights back, which is what is likely making it seem like he's still on the campaign.
    I agree that the Democrats have been focused on removing Trump from office from the beginning, very similar to the Republicans wanting to remove Obama from office from the beginning, starting with the birther accusations, along with many other things.

Obama was attacked constantly since the beginning, when they knew they couldn't get him at first, they did their best to make sure he didn't serve a second term, but I think he was able to perform his duties as president without being in campaign mode for the duration of his terms served in office.

I may be mistaken, but I think the judge said Manafort in particular wasn't being charged with Russian collusion, nothing was confirmed about Trump or his campaign involvement with Russia yet.

But it's true, for whatever the reason, we seem to have nonstop campaigning since the last election, and now potential candidates are starting to campaign for the next one.
    03-13-2019 09:00 PM