Are you thinking about switching your carrier?

Are you thinking about switching your carrier?

• Total voters

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
There are like a million different phone plans from a bunch of different companies. And you can buy an unlocked version of most any phone that will work on one or more of them.

That's good stuff! When there are more choices for any type of service, companies have to find ways to entice us to pick what they have to offer over what the other guy has. Companies fighting over our business means better service and cheaper prices, and who doesn't love both?

At AC, we've been talking about carrier plans and unlocked phones that can be used to jump between them for a while because it's something a lot of us actually do. And we're seeing more and more interest in it every day.

With this in mind, we want to do up a little informal poll. Take a second and let us know if you're thinking about trying a new company for your phone service, then drop a reply here that talks about why you voted the way you did.

Discussing all the pros and cons and various reasons for or against is bound to be a great conversation!

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking forward to T-MOBILE coming to my state. I'm on Verizon now and service is great. I use Fi of and on as well but us cellular dominates Fi in this area. For prepaid I was interested in mint, but TMO isn't ready here yet.

bunky1971

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Been on T-MOBILE since the MyTouch and BlackBerry 8320 were released. Very satisfied with their service. Picked up a Mint Sim when AC first promoted the 3 month deal (actually purchased the full year) didn't port my TMO # though.
I use a variety of devices, and I've found Mint runs on TMO, just not all the same frequencies. Using a VZW BB Classic and voice drops down to 2G and some locations are garbled. Data runs 4GLTE depending on how the refarm worked. With my TMO sim voice quality is 200% better. In the V10, the TMO sim grabs hd voice, the mint I'll have to check.
Overall value 85% - just because $160.00 for a full year of unlimited talk/text (even with the garbled) and 2GB data is worth the price.
Just a side note. I carried a vzw work device for a while and here in Northeast Penna all carriers have some trouble spots in the mountains. You learn where to talk quick depending on where you're running.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Where do we vote? There is no poll in this thread, and I don't see one on the home page either.

T-Mobiles push for LTE coverage finally brought their network to my area late 2015/early 2016. I decided to give them a try because I wanted unlimited data, I was on Verizon and I knew a few years prior T-mobile couldn't compare. T-Mobile would take several minutes for a text to send, data was 2G most everywhere I went, and dropped calls were a weekly thing in 2012, I couldn't believe how much better Verizon was.

Well wanting a taste of unlimited data, and seeing all the positive things on Android Central and else where about T-mobile I ported my line to T-mobile near the end of 2016. First impressions were great, port over was easy, price was great, unlimited data was amazing, and I actually had faster data speeds in my home.

Unfortunately it only took me a few weeks to feel just how inferior T-mobile was. There were random dead spots around town, dropped calls, service problems inside buildings and especially basements, and almost no coverage as soon as I hit a gravel road. I missed Verizon but was hooked on unlimited streaming. Plus I missed Verizon Messages, the ability to sync my texts to my PC and tablet, and even make phone calls from a tablet with my cell number, is something I wanted back.

Needless to say, I'm back on Verizon, and I have zero intention of trying another carrier for 2 or 3 years. I may pay a little more, but I have superior service in the areas I travel. Actually it's near impossible to find a dead spot, even in the remote wilderness of Minnesota/Wisconsin. Or the middle of no where in North Dakota, Verizon just works.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
On verizon prepaid right now -- in BFE Anderson, SC. Dead zones everywhere, dropped calls for work-- and "4G" signal but 1MB download speeds. Horrendous.
Trying Fi right now, not bad.
Looking at T-Mobile, but I wish they had the 7day trial period "Test Drive" vs the current "Lifetime Coverage Guarantee" with all the hoops to get refunds.
Wish I could just find someone who was on T-Mo in the area to actually get their personal opinion -- as I will not trust the T-MO rep in store.

aodash

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm planning on switching to T-Mobile at some point - a family member has been using them for about a year now and no issues.

I'm still on AT&T only because I get a substantial discount on them through my employer. The day that goes away or the day I switch jobs will be the day that I switch to T-Mobile.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Never used T mobile. Am on Verizon, have used AT andT, and Sprint.
Can't think of a reason to leave. Verizon has treated me very well, and earned my loyalty during the N7 debacle.

My name is Nicholas

Apr 1, 2017
Visit site
I just can't afford Verizon, so I've never tried it. I was on AT&T for a short while, and had Sprint for a couple years, and I have finally settled with T-Mobile. I'm still on their legacy Simple Choice plan, and I don't plan on switching any time soon. I've got a great deal and amazing services. The customer service and satisfaction is the best I've ever experienced. I highly recommend T-Mobile to anyone that's looking to switch.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan, so until something happens to that, I don't plan to leave Verizon. In fact, since they now have unlimited data plans, I'd probably just switch to that and stay on Verizon. AT&T is the only other carrier that has good coverage where I live, but I cannot think of a single good reason to switch to them.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Poll on the website says I'm unable to vote, at least I got to see the poll options. Based on how few votes there are I'm guessing many people are having issues with it.

tonyron227

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I've been on T-Mobile for years and now they are offering us seniors a NEW plan. The senior 55+ plan; 2 lines for $60.00 per month, unlimited everything! They have come a long way in my rural town in South Carolina. 4G is popping here!

Tony Vargas

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I go way back to the GTE days. I've been with TMO for many years now, and have no plans to switch. One of the first carriers in the SF Bay Area to use Wi-Fi calling, and I still have my unlimited plan. Can't beat the price or service. Never will I be throttled, never have I dropped a call.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: I'd switch to Verizon✔ Right away "LoL" if they came to Canada seriously

2yrs ago this..American wireless Co. made a bid to export its Technology

here, but wasn't approved by the CRTC=Canadian radio & Television

commission: But isn't farther the day, when this network will start

to operate abroad - I like the feature "Unlimited data" So voted

for the last option Other >>My answer doesn't fit any of these

choices. But kudos to Mr. Hildenbrand for launch the poll

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... can't vote on the app? That's disappointing.

But I just switched to T-Mobile from Sprint about 2 months ago. 5 lines and my bill dropped by over $100/month. That includes paying for 3 flagship devices each month, as I was doing in Sprint. The service is about the same or better. Data speeds are generally faster, though coverage is sparse in areas where Sprint was still pulling in a few bars. Overall I'm very happy, especially when I consider the ease of using a GSM network and an unlocked device.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been thinking of giving T Mobile a spin but thier prepaid plans can't match Verizon's at the moment. The last time I looked I'm getting more data and tethering compared to anything TMo had. Verizon's coverage is pretty good where I am for the most part. I might just get a TMo prepaid sim and try it in my backup phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37