Is the Razer Phone the ULTIMATE Phone for Gamers?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So - I ask you - and especially any gamers out there... Is the Razer Phone the ultimate phone for gamers?

Razer says it isn't a gaming phone, but a phone built for gamers. There's a difference. Do you buy that? If you are into gaming, will this be your phone of choice?

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I've got my eye on this phone as I play Pokemon go & the big battery seems perfect for the game seems it eats battery like nothing.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
No this is just another basic Android phone that is coming out to late in the year and will soon be overshadowed and forgotten about by the likes of the G7 and S9. Really don’t see a point for this phone, yet every major YouTuber is fawning over it for some apparent reason. Yes I know it has the 120hz display but that’s really it’s only real differentiator in hardware.

zizu101

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
120 hz makes a big difference, since scrolling on a touchscreen is something we do nearly every time we use a mobile phone.
-i use nova launcher. when i heard that this phone uses it as its launcher, i geeked out thinking about the performance optimization and immense customization that was probable.
-And that battery, ram, and speakers are something.
-i wanted pixel-like performance, but without that much Google on my face. So if the Razer is the same or a little better, then damn...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
120 hz makes a big difference, since scrolling on a touchscreen is something we do nearly every time we use a mobile phone.
-i use nova launcher. when i heard that this phone uses it as its launcher, i geeked out thinking about the performance optimization and immense customization that was probable.
-And that battery, ram, and speakers are something.
-i wanted pixel-like performance, but without that much Google on my face. So if the Razer is the same or a little better, then damn...

Cheaper too. I hear it will go for 699.

It may not have a jack, but the dongle has a 24bit DAC too, and AFAIK not sold separately.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Feedback so far is not very stellar. Camera not too good, dim display, poor contrast and mediocre battery life. No 3.5 jack is less tolerable as a result IMO. Hopefully the S9+ has stereo speakers. Very very doubtful though.

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Feedback so far is not very stellar. Camera not too good, dim display, poor contrast and mediocre battery life. No 3.5 jack is less tolerable as a result IMO. Hopefully the S9+ has stereo speakers. Very very doubtful though.

I've heard nothing but good things about this phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The phone definitely comes with a BIG battery and a good-sized screen, plus the latest Snapdragon; which would all combine together to make mobile gaming more seamless. However, I do almost all of my gaming with consoles; so I probably wouldn't really be able to give a "knowledgeable" opinion on the subject. :)

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The S9 is rumored to get dual speakers tuned by Harman/AKG (Makes sense since Samsung bought them). But AFAIK the Razer dongle has a very good DAC.

As for the poor contrast, not really. People are just spoiled by AMOLED screens. LCDs will never compete on contrast. Mediocre battery life is sort of expected for me due to the higher than usual refresh rate and it's their first device anyway.