The Replacements

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
So I started to slowly move away from Sense...I really think I've had about enough of it and learned all I'm going to from it. So I de-sensed, installed Launcher Pro, Go SMS, etc. Just wondering what some of you other guys/gals are using for replacement/supplemental apps. Here's mine so far.

Launcher: Launcher Pro
Email: K-9
Browser: Dolphin HD
Voice: Vlingo (Well I would if it worked right on this phone)

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Go SMS. I loved everything about it, except how it would freeze for an eternity if you tried to delete threads that had more than 500 messages. It might've been the OG Droid being unable to handle such a task, but who knows.
I had Dolphin as well. It would always shiznit the bed whenever more than 4 tabs were open at the same time. Again, might've been the OG Droid crapping out on me.

Sense is good, but I'm ready for permanent root and ROMs.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So I started to slowly move away from Sense...I really think I've had about enough of it and learned all I'm going to from it. So I de-sensed, installed Launcher Pro, Go SMS, etc. Just wondering what some of you other guys/gals are using for replacement/supplemental apps. Here's mine so far.

on my dinc:
ADW Launcher ex
HD Widgets 2.0
Beautiful Widgets
calwidget
But this is rooted.

may become a rezound but if no root is around it is nexus for me I think.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

How much ram is available when running this configuration?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Go takes up a lot of resources imho and I stopped using their launcher because add a theme to it and it is an fc. Loved their calendar widget. I never used their sms app. Rumors were that they were storing data on servers in japan. Or so I read on xda.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
MrSmith, I have 2 3 questions I'd like to ask, if you don't mind answering.

1.) Does your setup take up more resources than Sense, or is it about the same? If it's less, I'm sold.
2.) How does battery life with your setup compare to Sense?
3.) With Sense disabled, would our ICS OTA still go through, or would we need to re-enable Sense?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You will still get otas.
You are basically adding a skin on top of another skin so unless it stays disabled via temp root, it will take up more resources but will be negligible unless you are using resource intensive apps

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
MrSmith, I have 2 3 questions I'd like to ask, if you don't mind answering.

1.) Does your setup take up more resources than Sense, or is it about the same? If it's less, I'm sold.
2.) How does battery life with your setup compare to Sense?
3.) With Sense disabled, would our ICS OTA still go through, or would we need to re-enable Sense?

1) Nope. Sense is heavy on memory usage, and rightfully so. All of the integration it has forces it to use a lot of memory but that's not a bad thing. LP uses significantly less because it is significantly less. I like it that way. I'm currently running with 425MB free

2) No clue, my extended battery runs at least 24 hours. I'm currently testing the standard batt but it looks like 14 hours

3) Yes, OTAs will still happen. Just like apps that are disabled still get updated, the OTA will still go through because the apps are still in place, just not being used.

Reactions: Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
1) Nope. Sense is heavy on memory usage, and rightfully so. All of the integration it has forces it to use a lot of memory but that's not a bad thing. LP uses significantly less because it is significantly less. I like it that way. I'm currently running with 425MB free

2) No clue, my extended battery runs at least 24 hours. I'm currently testing the standard batt but it looks like 14 hours

3) Yes, OTAs will still happen. Just like apps that are disabled still get updated, the OTA will still go through because the apps are still in place, just not being used.

Thanks. That should seal the deal for me, then. 14 hours of battery is pretty much the same as Sense, though. I'm now assuming that the true power hog is the screen itself.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. That should seal the deal for me, then. 14 hours of battery is pretty much the same as Sense, though. I'm now assuming that the true power hog is the screen itself.

Oh it is. Hands down. I played about an hour of Angry Birds yesterday with my daughter and looked at battery usage. Angry birds had 4% but it added ~25% to my display usage.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh it is. Hands down. I played about an hour of Angry Birds yesterday with my daughter and looked at battery usage. Angry birds had 4% but it added ~25% to my display usage.

I was still in the denial stage about larger, HD resolution screens killing your battery. I shifted the blame entirely on 4G, and I may be right for the most part, maybe a small part.
I would like a sub-section on "Display" usage so that we can see exactly what was on the screen or what app was using the screen the most.
And if next-gen phones don't have a substantial upgrade in the battery department, I'm not even gonna bother upgrading. Around 14 hours of usage is alright with me, I'd prefer more. But any more doo-dads and phones are gonna start running on 8 hours of juice with moderate usage. Screw that noise.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I was still in the denial stage about larger, HD resolution screens killing your battery. I shifted the blame entirely on 4G, and I may be right for the most part, maybe a small part.
I would like a sub-section on "Display" usage so that we can see exactly what was on the screen or what app was using the screen the most.
And if next-gen phones don't have a substantial upgrade in the battery department, I'm not even gonna bother upgrading. Around 14 hours of usage is alright with me, I'd prefer more. But any more doo-dads and phones are gonna start running on 8 hours of juice with moderate usage. Screw that noise.

Well we already have source for this phone so if they can figure a way to get S-Off, we can get undervolted kernels to make the phone last that much longer.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I disabled Sense and went with "The Replacements" look for a while. I hated it. I grew accustomed to Sense for some reason. The launchers on the Market never really felt "official" enough to keep, and I missed some of the widgets I had on Sense. However, I had 400 MB of free space, MINIMUM (#winning). Sense is a resource hog, no doubt.
Also, I noticed I lost my trusty Network Toggle widget when I re-enabled Sense. If anyone knows how I could get that back, I'd greatly appreciate it.

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I disabled Sense and went with "The Replacements" look for a while. I hated it. I grew accustomed to Sense for some reason. The launchers on the Market never really felt "official" enough to keep, and I missed some of the widgets I had on Sense. However, I had 400 MB of free space, MINIMUM (#winning). Sense is a resource hog, no doubt.
Also, I noticed I lost my trusty Network Toggle widget when I re-enabled Sense. If anyone knows how I could get that back, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If sense let me go 5x5 home screen I'd be all over it. Unfortunately, the launchers spoiled me in this regard and now I can't stand the look of 4x4. It's like going from 1280x728 to 800x600 on a desktop for me lol. I'll stick with adw for now, I do however miss the fluidity of sense on this phone.