[GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion Amon-Ra is still the recovery of choice on the Rezound. Especially since you need it to root a stock Rezound. Just makes more sense. If I could use the ROM Manager options to flash ROMs(since I flash SystemUI and framework updates a lot), I'd probably switch over to CWM because that would make a difference.

Hmm, that's true. I didn't really consider the need for Amon Ra in regards to rooting now that the OTA fudged everything up.
I just find it more convenient to flash ROMs through CWM, which is pretty much why I stick to it. It had some growing pains, though. I'll admit.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, that's true. I didn't really consider the need for Amon Ra in regards to rooting now that the OTA fudged everything up.
I just find it more convenient to flash ROMs through CWM, which is pretty much why I stick to it. It had some growing pains, though. I'll admit.

Not to get into a whole thing here but what's easier about it? I used CWM the entire time I had my Inc. The last version of it I used was 3.0.0.8 I believe. Since it was all I'd ever used I didn't think I'd like Amon-Ra but its the same process just laid out a bit differently.

I suppose you can use ROM manager if your using CWM but I was never a proponent of ROM Manager for flashing, too many issues and problems with things not getting fully wiped.

just1083

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean for Rooting the phone or for installing a custom recovery?

In the original post it has the flashable zips for amon ra recovery, just wondering if that's still a viable way to load recovery and then root. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
In the original post it has the flashable zips for amon ra recovery, just wondering if that's still a viable way to load recovery and then root. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah that should still work for installing a custom recovery. If you've accepted the OTA though you should use Amon-Ra and follow the steps to root that I posted on the last post of the previous page.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Not to get into a whole thing here but what's easier about it? I used CWM the entire time I had my Inc. The last version of it I used was 3.0.0.8 I believe. Since it was all I'd ever used I didn't think I'd like Amon-Ra but its the same process just laid out a bit differently.

I suppose you can use ROM manager if your using CWM but I was never a proponent of ROM Manager for flashing, too many issues and problems with things not getting fully wiped.

I might be biased to it because it was pretty much my training wheel when it came to recovery and ROMing on the Droid.
It's just generally easier to go to one application and be able to flash a recovery, boot into recovery, download a ROM, and install a ROM without having to do much else. Seems more intuitive, I suppose. The price of all the convenience is the occasional error, but it's only put me through two of them on the Rezound, which I've managed to solve.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I might be biased to it because it was pretty much my training wheel when it came to recovery and ROMing on the Droid.
It's just generally easier to go to one application and be able to flash a recovery, boot into recovery, download a ROM, and install a ROM without having to do much else. Seems more intuitive, I suppose. The price of all the convenience is the occasional error, but it's only put me through two of them on the Rezound, which I've managed to solve.

I hear you. I was apprehensive about using Amon-Ra too, only because CWM was all I had ever known.

As far as ROM manager goes, they're were way too many issues with the Inc that may have been solved with the Rezound or maybe have been solved with the latest 5.xxx of CWM.

For now I think I'll just stick with what I've got cause it seems to be working well for me...the old, if it ain't broke saying.

just1083

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that should still work for installing a custom recovery. If you've accepted the OTA though you should use Amon-Ra and follow the steps to root that I posted on the last post of the previous page.

Thanks, the flashable zip worked, I just had to use the ota updated version. Unlocked and rooted. Thanks for the help.

EricChin79

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Always been a CWM and Rom manager user...

I can not find the "instructions to install" Amon RA to save my life.... Where is the application even from? I see Rom Manager on the Market, so it feels like a legit application.

I just need the simple directions on how to ...
1. install amon ra and root using it

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Always been a CWM and Rom manager user...

I can not find the "instructions to install" Amon RA to save my life.... Where is the application even from? I see Rom Manager on the Market, so it feels like a legit application.

I just need the simple directions on how to ...
1. install amon ra and root using it

Head over to XDA and grab the recovery
[Recovery] Amon Ra style vigor - xda-developers

Flash it in HBOOT.
"fastboot flash recovery <insert_your_amon_ra_.img_file_here>"

ROM Manager is legit on the Rezound but you can't use it for the superuser fix if you want to stay relatively stock. I also think it doesn't flash the kernel automatically with the scripts most ROM devs are using. Not sure about that though. Suffice it to say that Amon Ra just plain works.

MustangDan74

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Download the Rom to ur computer then flash it to ur sd card. Once its on the sd card. Rename it (PB98IMG). While the battery is out reinstall the sim card.

Bro... If you have a extra sim card sitting around. Format it.. then tranfer the (PB98IMG) <-- just like I have it smelled with caps. To your sim card.

Who on earth just has another sim card sitting around?:confused:

Why not? I have several sitting around.

God I hope not...I only have 1 micro SD for each of my devices...granted I have more than the law should allow but still.

You guys really need to clarify this. Which is it, SIM card or SD card? In my house they are two different things and this thread has turned confusing for some because of this.

Sax1031

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Alright guys. Two nights ago I unlocked the bootloader and flashed Amon Ra into recovery.

Also sorry if my terminology is a little off.

And this is my first Android so I am new.

I am trying to get a grasp on everything. Basically trying to understand Amon Ra. Now that I flashed it into recovery is it basically there for good? What I am asking if I start flashing Roms will I still be able to access Amon Ra?

And is it Amon Ra I want to use to flash roms? Total newb.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Alright guys. Two nights ago I unlocked the bootloader and flashed Amon Ra into recovery.

Also sorry if my terminology is a little off.

And this is my first Android so I am new.

I am trying to get a grasp on everything. Basically trying to understand Amon Ra. Now that I flashed it into recovery is it basically there for good? What I am asking if I start flashing Roms will I still be able to access Amon Ra?

And is it Amon Ra I want to use to flash roms? Total newb.

Amon Ra is a custom recovery itself. Basically, it's going to remain on your phone permanently unless you flash a different recovery (for instance, you flashed Amon Ra over the stock one.) Your options are;
- Amon Ra
- Clockworkmod
- Stock
You'll find that Amon Ra is the most popular. To answer your question, this is the recovery you'll use to flash ROMs, backup & restore, and run your phone in general. Regardless of the ROM you flash, Amon Ra will still be there until you say otherwise. Think of it as the guts of your phone, or software manager, or guardian of your phone.

Reactions: Sax1031

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Amon Ra is a custom recovery itself. Basically, it's going to remain on your phone permanently unless you flash a different recovery (for instance, you flashed Amon Ra over the stock one.) Your options are;
- Amon Ra
- Clockworkmod
- Stock
You'll find that Amon Ra is the most popular. To answer your question, this is the recovery you'll use to flash ROMs, backup & restore, and run your phone in general. Regardless of the ROM you flash, Amon Ra will still be there until you say otherwise. Think of it as the guts of your phone, or software manager, or guardian of your phone.

Come over to the AmonRa darkside have we?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Somewhat, but I'm (still) telling you, man, CWM could've been on all of our phones if things hadn't gone down how they did (crappy unofficial version, late official release, etc.)

Koush got my money from buying Rom Manager all those years ago so I don't feel bad about letting CWM sit until next phone.

mlbyanks2011

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering about this because I am a bit confused..do you have to unlock in order to root?..or do you need to unlock first?..I planned on skipping that step but figured I would ask first!! :)

Dugoutdog

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Custom Recovery & Rooting the HTC Rezound

I followed your instructions to the letter. Phone is unlocked. Put the (amon Ra) PH91MG in the root of my SD card. When it rebooted the green scroll started as described. However, when it stopped I received the following:

Main Version is older!
Update Fail!
Press <POWER> to reboot.

What happened? Can you offer some advice. I'm pretty much a noob. I rooted my Incredable no problem. Did the ClockWorkMod recovery to it. Never flashed a ROM as at the time I just wanted control to freeze all the bloatware and auto start programs.

Help me Obi Wan. You are my only hope.