Will the Rezound ever get S Off?

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I know that we can root the phone through HTC, but does anyone think that we will ever get true S Off for this phone?

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
As far as I can tell now, it's no longer necessary. The devs have come up with ways to do 99% of what we wanted to do with S-OFF.

Think of it this way, technically the Droid X's still have their e-fuse locked bootloader, but that doesn't stop anyone from doing whatever they like to it. When it comes to the battle with OEMs and Carriers regarding control of your phone, those of us in the community resort to the exploitation of the OEM/Carriers weaknesses to achieve what we want. Once a exploit is found, the OEM/Carrier can try to patch it, and if they succeed we will always find another.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
As far as I can tell now, it's no longer necessary. The devs have come up with ways to do 99% of what we wanted to do with S-OFF.

Think of it this way, technically the Droid X's still have their e-fuse locked bootloader, but that doesn't stop anyone from doing whatever they like to it. When it comes to the battle with OEMs and Carriers regarding control of your phone, those of us in the community resort to the exploitation of the OEM/Carriers weaknesses to achieve what we want. Once a exploit is found, the OEM/Carrier can try to patch it, and if they succeed we will always find another.

Only thing I can add to this is that S-Off would be nice but totally not necessary for the Rezound. The inability to flash radios is minute in comparison to the thought that I can't hard brick this device by flashing a ROM. I'd rather HTC opened up the boot partition(where the kernel resides) and leave the radio locked. This phone is almost perfect with just HTCDev unlock.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I will also add that I think the way we do things keeps the super noobs to a minimum. I'm kind of a believer that if your to afraid to do something, you should not do it. S-off with one click root is great and all, but nobody learns anything. I'm in no way an expert on rooting, but I'm so much better about it than I was with my Hero and Desire. ADB? Why would I ever have used that on my Desire?

I'm not against rookie rooters, and everyone has there first phone they root, but I kind of wished rooting my Hero was how I rooted my Rezound. I would know way more after 2 years than I do now.

And, isn't the radio part of the software not just dedicated to the "radio"? I have never flashed a radio, but was under the impression that it was just kind of another partition for software that really should never be touched? And that a lot of the better reception people talk about is kind of a placebo? Mehh, I could be talking out my ass here on this one.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I will also add that I think the way we do things keeps the super noobs to a minimum. I'm kind of a believer that if your to afraid to do something, you should not do it. S-off with one click root is great and all, but nobody learns anything. I'm in no way an expert on rooting, but I'm so much better about it than I was with my Hero and Desire. ADB? Why would I ever have used that on my Desire?

I'm not against rookie rooters, and everyone has there first phone they root, but I kind of wished rooting my Hero was how I rooted my Rezound. I would know way more after 2 years than I do now.

And, isn't the radio part of the software not just dedicated to the "radio"? I have never flashed a radio, but was under the impression that it was just kind of another partition for software that really should never be touched? And that a lot of the better reception people talk about is kind of a placebo? Mehh, I could be talking out my ass here on this one.

At least on the Thunderbolt, you can flash radios independent of a rom, in fact, it had to be flashed separately for most (all?) roms. Also, you can even flash LTE and CDMA radios separately and mix and match.

The Rezound doesn't really need to have the radio flashed at this time, it is pretty solid. Doesn't mean that in the future, HTC/Verizon won't release a really crappy radio in an OTA, I know on the Thunderbolt, after the MR1 disaster which caused lots of data drops, some people chose to flash an older radio to fix the problem. And the better reception on the Thunderbolt MR1 vs. other radios is certainly not a placebo, Verizon/HTC confirmed it, and many people experienced it. Assuming HTC/Verizon doesn't release a crappy radio, then there is really not a real reason to flash it.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
And my 2 cents.

As a new to Android user, I'm technically "astute". Have made a living in corporate IT for over 30 years, systems, network, application and even desktop support roles.

I can twiddle some bits (minor, definitely not a dev), upgrade OS, application or kernals (where's the manual?).

S-OFF gives us nothing if all it does is let us patch radios. Mine ain't broke, don't need to fix it. But removing bloatware and cleaning up the mess the carriers and manufacturers think we need is major. Wish I could do that on my company's Windows servers, LOL.

I was on Blackberries for years and always checked into the leaked builds and customs. Had many problems with those radio changes and had to revert back many times.

Leave us with root and unlock. Sweet.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The problem i seem to have is understanding and maybe i just haven't asked the question right...

1. If i root my phone and install a different ROM on it How do i get back to the defualt ROM. I'm assuming I would need to have a copy of the Verizon ROM if so where do i find it.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
The problem i seem to have is understanding and maybe i just haven't asked the question right...

1. If i root my phone and install a different ROM on it How do i get back to the defualt ROM. I'm assuming I would need to have a copy of the Verizon ROM if so where do i find it.

The easiest way is to download ROM Manager. Just flash CWM Recovery and backup your current ROM.
If you're using a different recovery (Amon Ra), you can create a nandroid backup by booting into recovery and selecting the option.
Lastly, you can grab the stock ROM at either Scott's website or in one of the development threads on XDA and just flash it. The choice is yours.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The easiest way is to download ROM Manager. Just flash CWM Recovery and backup your current ROM.
If you're using a different recovery (Amon Ra), you can create a nandroid backup by booting into recovery and selecting the option.
Lastly, you can grab the stock ROM at either Scott's website or in one of the development threads on XDA and just flash it. The choice is yours.

I assume I need to root already to backup my current ROM?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle