root guidance

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I am getting a rezound next monday, I am wondering just what this rooting thing is. I just dont get it, can someone explain in monkey terms? i have always just run a stock phone and been happy with it but am curious about rooting

where do i get started to do this? step 1.... , etc. Then where do you get the "roms" from?

I would really like to know more about this rooting thing. why should i do/not do it?

Thanks

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I think you should start with Google.

Here is just one link on this: Why Should I Root My Perfectly Acceptable Phone? - Android Forum - AndroidPIT

There are a bazillion others.

Well this link was very informative.

So rooting is essentially a playtoy for those who like to tweak things. and it makes your phone run better depending upon what you want your phone to do, is this correct? I can appreciate the battery life extensions and the improved performance but the standard phone workings seem to be good enough for me.

If i try rooting and i decide i don't like it, how easy is it to return to stock?

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

So rooting is essentially a playtoy for those who like to tweak things. and it makes your phone run better depending upon what you want your phone to do, is this correct? I can appreciate the battery life extensions and the improved performance but the standard phone workings seem to be good enough for me.

If i try rooting and i decide i don't like it, how easy is it to return to stock?

I would wait until you get your Rezound and see how you like it just the way it is before you consider rooting. The phone is really great right out of the box although it's been loaded with bloat by Verizon. Still with all that extra stuff, it's pretty capable of doing a lot. Rooting is just as you said: tweaking to make it your own...eliminating all those unnecessary programs you don't want, getting longer battery life, or making it look just the way you like...which is really not a bad thing.

My 2?

technophile82

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
To answer one of your questions, the first thing you would do, should you decide to root, is to unlock the bootloader.

This can be done through the HTC dev website, following their step-by-step instructions.

Note that these things will void your warranty, so hang on to your rezound for a while before diving in.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Yes, to all the above, to some extent. Most who root aren't "tweakers", majority of us are simply rooted users, who reap the benefits from those who do "tweak".

If i try rooting and i decide i don't like it, how easy is it to return to stock?[/B]

Same thing applies to rooting and unrooting. If you read up on it, extensively before attempting anything and follow the directionsduring,it's not a worrisome process. It's more laborous to get rooted, than reverting back to stock. Once you say, "whew" and achieve superuser status, the reverting process will be a cakewalk.

Last edited:

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I am by no means qualified to explain the technical side of rooting to anyone, so I will tell my side. I rooted my previous Android phones (Incredible, Thunderbolt) to eliminate all the Verizon junk they clog these phones up with. I also wanted to take advantage of the very talented work these developers on this site, and others, put out. With a rooted phone you can overclock your cpu (make it faster), undervolt your battery (charge it quicker) and take advantage of slim lined programming which will make your phone respond faster and perform better. You will also be able to take advantage of some features only available to other phones through the hard work of these fine developers (beats being an example).

As stated above I would get your phone, break it in for a few weeks, which I'm doing as we speak, and then begin your research on rooting and what you would like to take advantage of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude