Could not open phone lockscreen gone!? Did not do Nandroid backup

JayK9684

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I just got the HTC Rezound a couple weeks ago. I came from a Motorola Droid X. I unlocked it at HTCdev. I figured out how to root it as I found it more difficult than the Droid X. I backed up all my Titanium Backup data to my computer immediately before I started freezing/uninstalling bloatware so I can return to stock if need be. I uninstalled bloatware following a list I found on android forums. I decided it was a smart idea to delete wallpapers (not on list). Maybe that is where I went wrong? I had to reboot my phone because visual voicemail server was not working correctly. I did not uninstall the lock screen widget however I found that the lock screen disappeared so I can not use my phone! I did a full system wipe, cache, davik. Now I am stuck on the HTC white screen as well. I can not figure out how to make Nandroid backups for the life of me. I do not bother flashing ROMS as the process seems complicated even tho I am computer savy to a point. I've always just used Titanium Backup for backing up my droids! Should I go to Verizon and tell them I had to do a factory reset and It has stalled at the HTC screen? Suggestions anyone?

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Could not open phone lockscreen gone!? Did not do Nandroid ba

I just got the HTC Rezound a couple weeks ago. I came from a Motorola Droid X. I unlocked it at HTCdev. I figured out how to root it as I found it more difficult than the Droid X. I backed up all my Titanium Backup data to my computer immediately before I started freezing/uninstalling bloatware so I can return to stock if need be. I uninstalled bloatware following a list I found on android forums. I decided it was a smart idea to delete wallpapers (not on list). Maybe that is where I went wrong? I had to reboot my phone because visual voicemail server was not working correctly. I did not uninstall the lock screen widget however I found that the lock screen disappeared so I can not use my phone! I did a full system wipe, cache, davik. Now I am stuck on the HTC white screen as well. I can not figure out how to make Nandroid backups for the life of me. I do not bother flashing ROMS as the process seems complicated even tho I am computer savy to a point. I've always just used Titanium Backup for backing up my droids! Should I go to Verizon and tell them I had to do a factory reset and It has stalled at the HTC screen? Suggestions anyone?

Did you flash a custom recovery (Amon Ra/Clockworkmod)? You need a custom recovery in order to create a nandroid backup.
If you didn't flash a custom recovery, then your best bet would be to force a factory reset through adb. I'm unsure as to how much you can accomplish running the stock recovery, though.
If you did flash a custom recovery, then now is the time to pick out a ROM you like. Slap that on your sd card and just flash it.

JayK9684

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

Did you flash a custom recovery (Amon Ra/Clockworkmod)? You need a custom recovery in order to create a nandroid backup.
If you didn't flash a custom recovery, then your best bet would be to force a factory reset through adb. I'm unsure as to how much you can accomplish running the stock recovery, though.
If you did flash a custom recovery, then now is the time to pick out a ROM you like. Slap that on your sd card and just flash it.
I took care of it thankfully figured it out. I relocked then unlocked the bootloader. I downloaded from Scotts Roms file Stock Rooted ROM - Vigor - WWE 2.01.605.11. I was able to use adb cmd in conjuction with putting the zip file on my SD card! Guess I learned fast! I am still new to flashing of roms process. By the way for those who don't know you can access and mount the phones internal and external storage while in recovery to and from computer! I was not aware of this capability! I believe I have Amon Ra on my device! Everything is working smoothly now! So I do not make this mistake again is it not advised to delete the HTC wallpapers? It was my lock screen that had disappeared in the first place. I'm aware their are alot of custom roms out there. Thank you for trying to help me! Much appreciated!

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site

I took care of it thankfully figured it out. I relocked then unlocked the bootloader. I downloaded from Scotts Roms file Stock Rooted ROM - Vigor - WWE 2.01.605.11. I was able to use adb cmd in conjuction with putting the zip file on my SD card! Guess I learned fast! I am still new to flashing of roms process. By the way for those who don't know you can access and mount the phones internal and external storage while in recovery to and from computer! I was not aware of this capability! I believe I have Amon Ra on my device! Everything is working smoothly now! So I do not make this mistake again is it not advised to delete the HTC wallpapers? It was my lock screen that had disappeared in the first place. I'm aware their are alot of custom roms out there. Thank you for trying to help me! Much appreciated!

Nice job getting everything back in working order. Good rule of thumb, make a nandroid first, then delete stuff. Even better, don't delete stuff if you're unsure about what it's going to do. I mean do the wallpapers take up THAT much space that you need to get rid of them? The lockscreen does have a feature that connects to the wallpapers to the lockscreen, that could have been part of the problem.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

Nice job getting everything back in working order. Good rule of thumb, make a nandroid first, then delete stuff. Even better, don't delete stuff if you're unsure about what it's going to do. I mean do the wallpapers take up THAT much space that you need to get rid of them? The lockscreen does have a feature that connects to the wallpapers to the lockscreen, that could have been part of the problem.

Agreed.
Another good tactic is to just freeze something you want to delete but are unsure of on Titanium Backup. Once you exit TB, play around, reboot, and make sure everything works normally, then you're pretty much able to delete it. But again, a few kilobytes or megabytes shouldn't really be on the chopping block. Unless it's VZW bloat, of course.

JayK9684

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

Yes I learned how to flash recovery RUU! I went ahead and deleted all the VZW bloatware along with the other items on the list except this time I left all wallpapers. Everything works quite fine! I found out when you make a stock backup in TB that you can reinstall the uninstalled apps. So Freeze first then uninstall with caution! By the way I got so happy I took my old Motorola Droid X out and got it back to stock as well I learned how to SBF! So I have two working phones and can sell the Droid X if I want now! How do I do an Nandroid backup? I still have yet to figure that out? I mean where do I find the files to do such? Anyone have a link or is a specific program that you download? Yes I have clockworkmod but I haven't used it. Can I create a Nandroid backup using that program? I'm still new to the whole process of flashing/backing up. Using TB, rooting are all very for the most part simple tasks I've got down! Also on the fourms is there a way I can be notified of replies to threads? I dislike manually checking android central. Thanks for the replies everyone! :D

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Yes I learned how to flash recovery RUU! I went ahead and deleted all the VZW bloatware along with the other items on the list except this time I left all wallpapers. Everything works quite fine! I found out when you make a stock backup in TB that you can reinstall the uninstalled apps. So Freeze first then uninstall with caution! By the way I got so happy I took my old Motorola Droid X out and got it back to stock as well I learned how to SBF! So I have two working phones and can sell the Droid X if I want now! How do I do an Nandroid backup? I still have yet to figure that out? I mean where do I find the files to do such? Anyone have a link or is a specific program that you download? Yes I have clockworkmod but I haven't used it. Can I create a Nandroid backup using that program? I'm still new to the whole process of flashing/backing up. Using TB, rooting are all very for the most part simple tasks I've got down! Also on the fourms is there a way I can be notified of replies to threads? I dislike manually checking android central. Thanks for the replies everyone! :D

They really shoulld have a Sense component warning section appended in .apk listings. It's easy to get into a pickle over stupid little nuances. Anyhow, I found it more laborious on the Rezound, coming from DX (& DX2), as well. You can find the notification option under additional options on a reply page or you can do it from your User CP or member page, under edit options.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

They really shoulld have a Sense component warning section appended in .apk listings. It's easy to get into a pickle over stupid little nuances. Anyhow, I found it more laborious on the Rezound, coming from DX (& DX2), as well. You can find the notification option under additional options on a reply page or you can do it from your User CP or member page, under edit options.

Listen, if Verizon got their hands on a warning system before deletion, you'd have top level alerts and alarms going off when you tried to delete VCast or any of their other garbage. They'd just water down any real meaning to alarms in the first place. Oh, and this is an optimistic view of what Verizon would do. Just sayin'.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Problem with that is that most people want Sense gone and too many don't know what exactly is and isn't integrated into Sense because of how pervasive it is.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Problem with that is that most people want Sense gone and too many don't know what exactly is and isn't integrated into Sense because of how pervasive it is.

Your absolutely right about that, the "ish" is everywhere. I'd be lying if I said I said I never missed a phone call or 2 b/c I royally effed it up going on exploratory hunts to remove what I figured I could get away with. Btw, doing that is a great way to get your first grey hairs. Never realized how deeply a UI is integrated into the OS framework. I originally thought it was just superficial, more cosmetic than anything else really. Then again, I'm dumb as a box of rocks so that's not surprising.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Your absolutely right about that, the "ish" is everywhere. I'd be lying if I said I said I never missed a phone call or 2 b/c I royally effed it up going on exploratory hunts to remove what I figured I could get away with. Btw, doing that is a great way to get your first grey hairs. Never realized how deeply a UI is integrated into the OS framework. I originally thought it was just superficial, more cosmetic than anything else really. Then again, I'm dumb as a box of rocks so that's not surprising.

Nah, HTC went out of their way to integrate Sense into Android. You find Sense elements in stock Android APKs all over. I'm still trying to dig out the in call dialpad that still shows the sense version rather than the stock version I've replaced it with. If you think removing APK's can give you grey hairs...try editing them.

JayK9684

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

I changed my notification settings so now I'm alerted via email when someone response to threads etc. Thanks for the help. Yeah I really like the HTC Rezound despite the poor battery life. Then again all these phones are not known for their battery life except Motorola Droid Razr Maxx. As far as sense goes I don't mind it as far as I'm concerned it's just an addition to Android system UI just as Moto has blur correct? My phone is in working order now. I'm waiting on getting a MacBook coming from PC so again I have no computer returned my Toshiba let's hope my phone doesn't screw up because I won't be able to RUU for at least a month. Oh one more thing again how do I conduct an Nandroid backup? I'm still somewhat a newbie to the process. Thanks again everyone!