Torn. A little advice, please.

tmettler5

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I am currently unocked and rooted using AmonRa. I havent' done anything else yet like install the RUU Firmware Update, or flashed any older ROMs prior to the update. If I leave my phone as is, will updates be pushed to it? I am assuming that will break root, which is fine as long as the update doesn't close any root loopholes. So here are my options as I see them:

1. Leave stuff as-is. no custom roms, just see what happens. Hope I can get root back. Will the ota leave the bootloader unlocked?

2. Re-lock bootloader, install update, unlock, reroot, and hope it goes smoothly.

3. Re-lock, and un-root.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I am currently unocked and rooted using AmonRa. I havent' done anything else yet like install the RUU Firmware Update, or flashed any older ROMs prior to the update. If I leave my phone as is, will updates be pushed to it? I am assuming that will break root, which is fine as long as the update doesn't close any root loopholes. So here are my options as I see them:

1. Leave stuff as-is. no custom roms, just see what happens. Hope I can get root back. Will the ota leave the bootloader unlocked?

2. Re-lock bootloader, install update, unlock, reroot, and hope it goes smoothly.

3. Re-lock, and un-root.

I'm not sure if you would get the OTA update when you are unlocked and rooted. But I do know this. I am very happy with Scotts CleanROM ICS 4.2 Professional Edition. I know that when the official ICS update becomes available Scott will work his magic and we will have an outstanding ROM based on it.

mulishaman187

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You have to have stock recovery & all bloatware installed/unfrozen to get OTAs. So if you flashed AmonRa you'll need to flash stock recovery.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

ac295

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I was debating the same thing..

Since I plan on running a custom ROM I guess I answered my own question. Might as well stay rooted and unlocked and forget the update if I'm just going to slap a new ROM on there anyway.

My only concern was if there would be a new radio along with the update. I wouldnt have it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira