In need of help majorly..HTC Rezound possibly bricked

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Well I didn't know I had to extract it I will try that..i did unlock the bootloader...

Sorry forgot to mention that part.

Honestly I would have done the same except that in the "Android" folder I made when I first unlocked and rooted, I still had the old original Amon-Ra "recovery.img" so when I went to put the new amon-ra recovery on there I dragged the entire Zip file to the "Android" folder and then saw the old one and it dawned on me I needed to get rid of the old "recovery.img" file, unzip the new Amon-Ra file, rename the appropriate part "recovery.img" and place it into the Android folder.

Hope that makes sense and you can get it all working...

I made out fine I just have to reroot but its up and running on ICS perfectly..THANKS A BUNCH!!

On behalf of less sophisticated users, I would like to say how grateful I am that there are people like Wanda who will take time out to help a stranger... Thanks

Yes this is a true story..saved my ass lol..thanks again

Just doing my part...I can't count the MANY AC peeps, and XDA users who've helped me out when I've jammed up my phone. All part of the fun!!

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
If you flashed the ICS ROM you needed to either flash the patch he put out with it or you had to relock and flash the leaked ICS RUU first, then unlock the phone and then flash the ROM. It sounds more involved that it is but its pretty important.

Which ROM were you on before you flashed.

That explained alot, that's what had me a bit stumped. Didn't seem like he was doing anything out of the norm.
up to that point. You definitely popped in at the right time I was a bit worried he was up ish creek til Mon. I've seen his name in XDA for awhile and heard good things about Nils but I'm not to familiar with his offerings.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry forgot to mention that part.

Honestly I would have done the same except that in the "Android" folder I made when I first unlocked and rooted, I still had the old original Amon-Ra "recovery.img" so when I went to put the new amon-ra recovery on there I dragged the entire Zip file to the "Android" folder and then saw the old one and it dawned on me I needed to get rid of the old "recovery.img" file, unzip the new Amon-Ra file, rename the appropriate part "recovery.img" and place it into the Android folder.

Hope that makes sense and you can get it all working...

Just doing my part...I can't count the MANY AC peeps, and XDA users who've helped me out when I've jammed up my phone. All part of the fun!!

I think the file you sent me from that page is corrupted because its not extracting it says the file is damaged?..if you have the proper file send it or attach so I can download it possibly?..thanks your the man!

lourock21

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Omg, can somone please help me. I have a unlocked and rooted htc rezound that i tried flashing ics on. Once i started the phone it would crash when making a call or receiving a text. No whatever rom i flash i have the same problem.

RuLEoF2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it does say that but we can argue about that after you've got it fixed.

In order for the ROM to run properly you have to be running the latest firmware that you get when you flash the RUU leak. Can you access the SD card by plugging into a computer or will it not stay booted long enough? If you can't you'll need another device or an SD card reader to get the PH98IMG file off the phone and you'll need to put the RUU there and run it. I'm going to link you to instructions I used from the Team BAMF website.

Guide To Install Ics Ruu And Firmware (Windows) - Rezound Help & Support - TeamBAMF

When you get to Part 3, just substitute Nils ROM, or any ICS ROM for that matter instead. Nils' ROM comes with the kernel prepacked and it will unpack at the appropriate time so there is no need to do it in step 4 of Part 3.

Do a thorough read through before you go off on it to make sure you understand the steps. Give us a shout if you get hung up like it did...I had a bad download of the RUU and it wouldn't flash but I got it resolved.

What can I say, I likes me some stable, reliable, eyecandy ROMing!

I had the exact same problem as 'mlbyanks11'. I followed your instructions to the letter and it worked with all of the specified files and steps. However, afterwards, when I tried to flash another ROM, I was right back where I started. The phone would not boot. Just bootloader and recovery. It's going on my third round with your procedure.

I had the Incredible prior to the rezound. I'm keeping it as a back-up because it has been so reliable and easy to work with. I've been trying to flash ROMs on the rezound directly from the root of the SDcard using downloaded zip files, as is. That's all I ever had to do with my Incredible.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I had the exact same problem as 'mlbyanks11'. I followed your instructions to the letter and it worked with all of the specified files and steps. However, afterwards, when I tried to flash another ROM, I was right back where I started. The phone would not boot. Just bootloader and recovery. It's going on my third round with your procedure.

I had the Incredible prior to the rezound. I'm keeping it as a back-up because it has been so reliable and easy to work with. I've been trying to flash ROMs on the rezound directly from the root of the SDcard using downloaded zip files, as is. That's all I ever had to do with my Incredible.

Thanks.

To be clear, these are not my instructions. I found them on the Team BAMF website. They are the instructions I followed to update my firmware and they worked very well. The only part that wasn't expilictly written was to unzip the amon-ra.zip file once downloaded and extract the recovery.img file.

Which ROM did you try to flash and what steps were you taking when it went wrong? Are you sure you're unlocked and running Amon-Ra? I'm not trying to patronize you, just trying to nail down where it started to go bad.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

The Rezound is not s-off, so there are extra steps. You need to read the OP all the way through on each ROM to see what those extra steps are. ScottsROMS, RezROM are some of the easiest. These, after you flash them automatically take you to the bootloader so the kernal can flash. All you do is hit power, wait a sec, then volume up, wait a sec, then power again (all explained as it goes).

Others you have to download a PH98IMG file that you have to put on the root of your sd card, then after you flash the zip, you have to manually go into the boot loader to start the update for the kernal.

Still others just give you a boot.img that you push with Fastboot on your computer.

I can't stress enough about reading each OP for your ROM of choice. We should have s-off soon, and it will be easy again, but we don't, so for now you have to do it old school. On the plus side, you learn a ton more than you will with an s-off phone, so take advantage while you still have to.

RuLEoF2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
To be clear, these are not my instructions. I found them on the Team BAMF website. They are the instructions I followed to update my firmware and they worked very well. The only part that wasn't expilictly written was to unzip the amon-ra.zip file once downloaded and extract the recovery.img file.

Which ROM did you try to flash and what steps were you taking when it went wrong? Are you sure you're unlocked and running Amon-Ra? I'm not trying to patronize you, just trying to nail down where it started to go bad.

I understand about the origin of the instructions. I simply meant that I followed the ones that you referenced. I apologize if I came across as though I were placing any blame.

I flashed one of the CleanROMs at first and it wotked. I didn't like it so I tried to do a nand restore after a full wipe. My intent was to go back to the stock ROM. No good. That's when the phone stopped booting.

After that, I found a stock ROM download and tried that. Nothing happening there either. Then I found this thread. I.followed the instructions exactly and I ended up with the BAMF ROM that I don't like. So I tried to install the stock ROM and no.boot again.

I followed the process again, this time subbing the BAMF ROM for the stock ROM. Same, no boot again. I did the whole process a third time using all of the BAMF files. Only then does it work.

And yes. I'm sure that it's unlocked, rooted and that I'm using AmonRa.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I understand about the origin of the instructions. I simply meant that I followed the ones that you referenced. I apologize if I came across as though I were placing any blame.

I flashed one of the CleanROMs at first and it wotked. I didn't like it so I tried to do a nand restore after a full wipe. My intent was to go back to the stock ROM. No good. That's when the phone stopped booting.

After that, I found a stock ROM download and tried that. Nothing happening there either. Then I found this thread. I.followed the instructions exactly and I ended up with the BAMF ROM that I don't like. So I tried to install the stock ROM and no.boot again.

I followed the process again, this time subbing the BAMF ROM for the stock ROM. Same, no boot again. I did the whole process a third time using all of the BAMF files. Only then does it work.

And yes. I'm sure that it's unlocked, rooted and that I'm using AmonRa.

Oh, I wasn't worried about taking blame, I was more concerned with someone thinking I was taking credit for work someone else had done.

At any rate, twolastnames was spot on. When we flash ROMs on the Rezound we have to manually flash the kernel. Some ROM chef's have it set up to automatically boot to Hboot for the install, others make you do it manually. In any event, when you do a nandrestore you have to also restore the kernel for that particular ROM just as you did when you originally flashed it which is why I suspect you're having boot problems on every ROM except BAMF...because BAMF was the original ROM/kernel that you installed and even though you may have changed ROMs or restored one, you still have the BAMF kernel in there mucking up the works. Also, don't try to restore to a GB based ROM it's going to cause problems.

So you're up and running, just on a ROM you don't like...that's at least workable. Go into the SD card and remove the PH98IMG.zip file off the SD card if you don't you're going to have boot problems and problems getting into recovery because every time it goes to Hboot it's going to try and install the PH98IMG file. Now download the ROM of your choice. I'd try one of the easier ones like Nils' Business ICS Sense, RezROM (thats what I'm on right now), MikROMs Ineffabilis, CleanROM. These ROM's automatically take you Hboot for the kernel install so it should be easy. Be sure to read ALL the instructions, they're posted for a reason.

Its gonna go something like this:
Download ROM and put on root of SD card, not in a folder
Boot to Amon-Ra
Go to wipe data and do the Factory reset/data cache, data, Dalvik. Don't forget the Dalvik.
Now flash the ROM via the install zip menu.

After it flashes you'll usually be booted back to Hboot for the kernel install. Just follow the prompts and let it take the update. After its done, reboot normally and you should be taken to the ROM. Once at the setup screen skip everything. Don't allow Google to backup the phone or restore anything. After you get through all the setup junk go back and add your google account through the accounts and sync menu. You should be good to go from there.

RuLEoF2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I will follow your advise and give that a go. Sounds good.

Now, forgive me but I need to ask a couple "dumb" questions. I guess I'm still considered a newb, even though I've been tinkering with root for over a year. My DInc totally spoiled me because it was so easy to work on and I got it late when there was already a lot of development put into it. Most of what I wanted to do could be flashed right on the phone either through recovery or bootloader, so I never really got into using fastboot, adb or sdk. Only now have I really had a need so I'm learning on the fly.

When you say manually, do you mean download a zip, extract the necessary file(s) and flash through fastboot? I now know how to do that, I just need to learn the terminology and the general protocols.

Another thing that has occurred is the ***TAMPERED*** thing that's directly over the ***UNLOCKED*** title in my bootloader. Is that a problem and is there a way I can get rid of it.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I will follow your advise and give that a go. Sounds good.

Now, forgive me but I need to ask a couple "dumb" questions. I guess I'm still considered a newb, even though I've been tinkering with root for over a year. My DInc totally spoiled me because it was so easy to work on and I got it late when there was already a lot of development put into it. Most of what I wanted to do could be flashed right on the phone either through recovery or bootloader, so I never really got into using fastboot, adb or sdk. Only now have I really had a need so I'm learning on the fly.

When you say manually, do you mean download a zip, extract the necessary file(s) and flash through fastboot? I now know how to do that, I just need to learn the terminology and the general protocols.

Another thing that has occurred is the ***TAMPERED*** thing that's directly over the ***UNLOCKED*** title in my bootloader. Is that a problem and is there a way I can get rid of it.

In reference to flashing the kernel manually, yes. Some dev's have it set up so that when you flash the ROM you also need to manually push the kernel to the phone through Fastboot, such as the BAMF ROM and some of the Sense 4.0 ROM's too.

Other ROM's will automatically take you to Hboot after the ROM has flashed and it will ask you if you want to run the update, by selecting yes you're allowing the kernel (the PH98IMG.zip file that is on the SD card after the ROM flashed) to update and install. If you don't remove the file afterwards, Hboot will still see the file and think you want to update. It makes it very hard to get into recovery and can cause problems, that's why after you flash the ROM and kernel you want to get it off the card...I'd suggest moving to a safe location with a label so you know what kernel it is if you decide to swap ROM's and need the kernel to do a restore if things go wrong.

Try flashing a ROM that auto boots to Hboot for the kernel install. I prefer Nil's Business ICS and RezROM. Both very good very stable ICS ROM's

The tampered thing...well we're all just kinda stuck with it. Think of it as a badge of honor.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I would love to do this but still not able to root the leaked ICS update...so many different ways its confusing the crap outta me ugh..

RuLEoF2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I just tried MikROM twice and it failed both times. The installation started, ran for a bit then said "Error" and then "Installation aborted". I did another wipe and tried RezROM and it went through, but not quite as described on the XDA page.

The last step said that the phone would reboot into the bootloader, which it did. I selected bootloader as instructed but there were no prompts. I waited a good couple minutes and decided to reboot. It booted ok and it seems to be working, so I guess I'm ok. I'll give it a run for a while and see how I like it. I was using Skyraider4.3 on my incredible and I'm hoping to find something with a lot of the same features.

Thanks a lot for your help and your patience. I really do appreciate it.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I just tried MikROM twice and it failed both times. The installation started, ran for a bit then said "Error" and then "Installation aborted". I did another wipe and tried RezROM and it went through, but not quite as described on the XDA page.

The last step said that the phone would reboot into the bootloader, which it did. I selected bootloader as instructed but there were no prompts. I waited a good couple minutes and decided to reboot. It booted ok and it seems to be working, so I guess I'm ok. I'll give it a run for a while and see how I like it. I was using Skyraider4.3 on my incredible and I'm hoping to find something with a lot of the same features.

Still doesn't answer that I cant get my phone rooted on the ICS leak..been having trouble with it...

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site

Hmm...makes me think the MikROM was a bad download. I've never seen it do that on an install before unless the file was corrupted.

As far as the Hboot not reading the PH98IMG file, that sounds weird too. Check and see if it's there on your SD card or not.

Skyraider was a really sweet ROM and I would have stuck with it forever had Gingerbread not come to town. Unfortunately there really isn't a ROM out there now for the Rezound that has that "just the right mix" of AOSP and Sense. Though in the RezROM tweeks you can use the ICS AOSP unlock screen but you loose the functionality of the Sense unlock screen i.e. music controls, shortcuts (except the camera) and ability to answer calls without unlocking first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair