[GUIDE] Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

O.G Incredible

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
so let me get this straight?? ive been reading a couple different threads and forums and a lot of people recommend Amon Ra Recovery... my only question is....if I want to flash different roms i can no longer use Rom manager??? do everything from Amon Ra Recovery and a computer??? I'm confused a little help would be appreciated

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
so let me get this straight?? ive been reading a couple different threads and forums and a lot of people recommend Amon Ra Recovery... my only question is....if I want to flash different roms i can no longer use Rom manager??? do everything from Amon Ra Recovery and a computer??? I'm confused a little help would be appreciated

You got it. The reason for this is that CWM(ClockWorkMod Recovery) doesn't work as well on the Rezound as it does on other phones. If you want the most seamless experience AmonRa is the way to go.

O.G Incredible

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
You got it. The reason for this is that CWM(ClockWorkMod Recovery) doesn't work as well on the Rezound as it does on other phones. If you want the most seamless experience AmonRa is the way to go.

Wow!! that seems a bit inconvenient no?? with rom manager i could create a back up of my current rom and flash a new one on the fly!! will this be possible with AmonRa in the near future?:confused:

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow!! that seems a bit inconvenient no?? with rom manager i could create a back up of my current rom and flash a new one on the fly!! will this be possible with AmonRa in the near future?:confused:

Probably not. CWM and Rom Manager are dev'd by the same team. AmonRa is a completely different product.

joedirt2217

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Try the flashable version of superSU SuperSU Download

Thanks Mr. Smith, but I tried that option already. I just don't understand, I followed everything to a tee. I'm not new to rooting, and modifying by all means, but I am completely stumped on this one. I got frustrated so I relocked and set my phone back up. Maybe if the official ICS release is different than the leak I installed, I will give rooting another shot since more than likely, those of us on a leaked version will have to install the official RUU and wipe all data again anyway.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
To unroot and return to stock, the command is "fastboot oem lock" correct? Then just run the RUU twice?

Edit: Yes that is the correct command, however it gave me an error. Still seems to have worked, im relocked now.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, I just saw this. It's not quite correct. If you s-off, you never need a computer. If you s-on, you should only need it for roms that say for s-off only. Most roms will put the ph98img on your sd card to flash after you flash your rom, but the s-off only ones and some really old ones won't, so you need a computer to use adb to flash the boot.img.

mjp9775

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm stuck and in need of help. First off i need to know if I should upgrade to ICS before rooting. I have already unlocked. Secondly, I have already tried to root and when I go to the command prompt and enter in "Cd \AndroidSDK\platform-tools" it tells me that it cannot find the specified path. i created the AndroidSDK folder just like you said to do. I am not sure what to do now. Please help :)

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm stuck and in need of help. First off i need to know if I should upgrade to ICS before rooting. I have already unlocked. Secondly, I have already tried to root and when I go to the command prompt and enter in "Cd \AndroidSDK\platform-tools" it tells me that it cannot find the specified path. i created the AndroidSDK folder just like you said to do. I am not sure what to do now. Please help :)

Do you still need help?

mjp9775

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I was never able to get past that point. It always tells me that the path isn't specified. Both of the phones i am trying to root are unlocked and running the OTA ICS update.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
This just means that your setup is different. If you have your androidsdk files(adb.exe, fastboot.exe, and 2 dll files) in c:\androidsdk, then that's where you should change directory to.

So instead of

Code:
cd \androidsdk\platform-tools

You should do

Code:
cd \androidsdk

There will be a few other adjustments. But hit me back when you get past this. I'll stick with you through the process.

mjp9775

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I got through the first step lol I just needed to remove the "platformtools" part. Now it says error: cannot load '..\recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img'

I also have another question....my wife unlocked hers and I do believe she used the same folder. So when she put her unlock_code.bin inside....it copied over mine. Do I need to restart the whole process?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, if it can't find recovery...img then you need to change the command line. so if it's in c:\temp then you need to type fastbot flash recovery c:\temp\recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img

For the unlock_code, if you're unlocked you won't need to do anything over unless you want to unlock again. But you should have it in your email still right?

mjp9775

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In my AndroidSDK folder I have this file: recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img

I probably do still have the email with my unlock code.

In my AndroidSDK folder I have the files, adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, fastbook.exe, the recovery image file listed above, and the unlock code.bin. Is this how it is supposed to be?

Javerthl

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Try the flashable version of superSU SuperSU Download

Hi Mr. Smith, I am having the same problem that Joedirt is having - I followed the instructions up to installing su & superuser from Amon Ra (v3.15. I also did a nandroid back-up). I then downloaded superuser from the appstore. However, the binary updates says "gaining root access...failed" and the wireless tethering app (Muller) can not tether saying I haven't rooted.

Any other thoughts?

For your flashable version of superSU, what do I do with the zip file?

Thanks.

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mr. Smith, I am having the same problem that Joedirt is having - I followed the instructions up to installing su & superuser from Amon Ra (v3.15. I also did a nandroid back-up). I then downloaded superuser from the appstore. However, the binary updates says "gaining root access...failed" and the wireless tethering app (Muller) can not tether saying I haven't rooted.

Any other thoughts?

For your flashable version of superSU, what do I do with the zip file?

Thanks.

You'd need to flash it in AmonRa recovery(like a ROM)

Javerthl

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
You'd need to flash it in AmonRa recovery(like a ROM)

Thanks - I think that worked. My SuperUser app is now the blue glowing "#" sign (it used to be the Android pirate from Market) and my wireless tethering isn't asking whether I'm 'rooted' anymore.

Now that I've installed the flashable SU, will it interfere or be overridden when I flash another ROM later?

Another question - my wireless tethering app is throwing errors in the log and the phone isn't appearing in a list of 'Wireless Networks'. What gives? If this isn't the right thread for this question I can start another one.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks - I think that worked. My SuperUser app is now the blue glowing "#" sign (it used to be the Android pirate from Market) and my wireless tethering isn't asking whether I'm 'rooted' anymore.

Now that I've installed the flashable SU, will it interfere or be overridden when I flash another ROM later?

Another question - my wireless tethering app is throwing errors in the log and the phone isn't appearing in a list of 'Wireless Networks'. What gives? If this isn't the right thread for this question I can start another one.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

Yes if you install a ROM, it will overwrite superuser.

For tethering try grabbing the latest and greatest version of wifi-tether if you don't already have it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10