Visit site
Table Of Contents
Prep
Unlocking
Rooting
ROM?ing
FAQ

Foreword:
This guide is meant to assist you in unlocking, rooting and ROM?ing your HTC Rezound. The Rezound is part of HTC?s Sensation line of phones and was released on November 14 2011. The Rezound comes with Android 2.3.4 stock with Sense 3.0, and will soon receive an upgrade to Android 4.0.3 with Sense 3.6. Chances are you own a Rezound but some of you may not know what this phone has to offer. The Rezound sports a 4.3 inch 720p(720 x 1280) Super LCD screen, and boasts a whopping 1.5Ghz Snapdragon processor with 1GB of RAM. Add on to that beautiful 8MP(with dual LED Flash) rear facing and 2MP front facing cameras and the ability to record in 1080p at 30fps, and you?ve got a pretty rocking phone.

Preparation:
In order to get to all of the fun things the Rezound has to offer, you?ll need a few tools:
1) A passing familiarity with DOS/Command Prompt/Terminal Emulator
2) Android SDK (Win/Mac/Linux) : LINK **This install may take a while**
*Note: It is easiest if you install it to a directory like ?c:\AndroidSDK? rather than ?c:\program files (x86)\AndroidSDK ?
--Or--
For your Mac/Linux users ?/home/<user>/AndroidSDK?

3) HTC Drivers (Win): LINK
**IF the above link is broken please visit HTC Rezound Driver Software Updates

--While you?re waiting for your downloads/installations, take the time to sign up on htcdev.com. You?ll need this later. Make sure you use a real email address.

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Unlocking:
The unlocking process is fully detailed on HTCDev.com, however it never hurts to have additional information on hand. Warning that unlocking the Phone will result in a factory reset. Backup your data!

First you?ll need to reboot your phone into HBOOT. To do this:
- Take off the rear cover
- Remove the battery
- Reinsert the battery
- Replace the rear cover
- Hold down Power and Volume down until the phone turns on
*Advanced users can reboot into HBOOT using ?adb reboot bootloader?

Now connect your phone to your PC.

Open a command prompt and issue the following commands:
Code:
Cd \AndroidSDK\platform-tools
***Linux/Mac users use a ?/? instead of ?\?***
Code:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
You will get a lot of information from this. You?re going to highlight and copy the block of information from start to end(including the lines you see below)
<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>
<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>
(See illustration here: http://www.htcdev.com/images/uploads/bootloader/pict_6a.png)

*To copy in DOS, right click the DOS window and choose Mark. Highlight the text and then hit Enter to copy it to your clipboard

Don?t close the DOS window just yet. Now login to HTCDev.com and start the bootloader unlock process. Head to Step 10 and paste in the information you copied above. HTC will email you a file called Unlock_code.bin Copy that token to your AndroidSDK directory

Now head back to your DOS/Command prompt/Terminal Emulator window and issue the command:
Code:
fastboot flash unlocktoken ..\Unlock_code.bin

You will be prompted on the phone to accept the terms of the unlock and that your phone will now be factory reset. Press the appropriate volume key and power to accept. Your phone will reboot and is now unlocked.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Rooting:
For those that don’t know what rooting is, I’ll explain. Rooting allows you to act as the “superuser” on your device. This gives you privilege to do things that the developers didn’t quite intend you to do(but most are really fun). Rooting is a harmless process, and should only take you a few minutes. If you’re jumping in without using my Unlocking guide, then please see the Preparation section above. If you plan on installing a rooted ROM you can skip this section

YOU MUST BE UNLOCKED IN ORDER TO ROOT
First you’ll need to download a custom Recovery call AmonRa. Here’s a link to it: LINK

I’m using version 3.14 as my example. Copy your newly downloaded recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img file to your AndroidSDK folder above(like you did with Unlock_code.bin).

1) Reboot your phone into HBOOT
2) Make sure your phone is connected to the PC
3) Now open a Command Prompt and issue the following commands:
Code:
Cd \AndroidSDK\platform-tools
Fastboot flash recovery ..\recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img
Fastboot reboot-bootloader

When your phone reboots, choose the “Recovery” option. This will bring you into Amon Ra. Use the volume up/down keys to choose the “Developer Menu”, and press the power button to accept. Now choose the option that says “Install su & superuser” and click the power button. Once this is complete choose return/Reboot now and click the power button. Your phone will reboot normally.

When you’re all back up and running you still need to do one last thing. Head over to the Android Market(Play Store) and download Superuser by Chainsdd. Here’s the web link: LINK

If you’re on the ICS Leak, you’ll need SuperSU found here: LINK

Congratulations you are now rooted.

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
ROM?ing:
(or the reason you came here)

Hopefully you?ve followed me through the rest of this guide and now you?re in the home stretch. Ready to install a ROM and see what all the hub-bub was about? Before you start there are a few things to know. First is that you need to understand that there are two parts to flashing a ROM. Flashing the ROM and flashing the kernel. There are multiple ways to do this but I?m only covering the fool proof way. Second, if you have a mismatched ROM/kernel set, your ROM will not boot and if it does it will not work properly.

Please note that different ROMs have different install instructions so this will cover the very generic process. You will need a custom recovery (ClockWorkMod or AmonRa)

First you?ll need to select a ROM. Here?s a short list of currently available Rezound ROMs:
Team BAMF: Link
Scott?s CleanROM: Link
NilsP Business Sense: Link
Ineffabilis: Link
RezROM: Link

If you haven?t already, then copy the ROM to your external SD card.

If your ROM doesn?t automatically flash the kernel for you (read the ROM install directions) then you?ll want to pull the file ?boot.img? out of the ROM?s zip file. You will need this file on your PC, so keep it handy.

Now, reboot into recovery. There are several ways to do this:
Power off, then power on holding power and volume down then select recovery from the menu
Use an application such as quickboot
If you?re plugged into a PC use the command:
Code:
adb reboot recovery

In recovery, choose the ?Install zip? or ?Install ROM? option from recovery

Select where you stored the ROM zip file and go ahead and install it.

Once this completes (if your ROM doesn?t automatically install the kernel) reboot into the bootloader(HBOOT).
In Amon Ra, you can go back to the main menu and look under the developer menu to go directly into the bootloader menu.

Make sure you?re plugged into a PC and open a command prompt. Issue the following command:
Code:
Fastboot flash boot <your_boot.img>
*where <your_boot.img> is the boot.img file you stored above.
Provided that everything went according to plan, you now have a ROM installed. Reboot again(and be patient). Some ROMs do take a while to load on first boot.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
FAQ

Q: I can?t get XXX command to work, it says ?Command not found?
A: You are probably not in the proper directory to run the command. If you type dir and don?t see your file(s) listed, then you?re not in the right spot.

Q: I typed the command like you said but it just says ?<Waiting for Device>?
A: If you issued a fastboot command, you need to be in HBOOT. Make sure you?re plugged in to your PC and that your device is recognized. Always make sure HTC Sync is not running.

Q: I installed a ROM and now all I see is the white HTC screen.
A: More than likely you need to flash the kernel for your ROM.

Q: I don?t have any signal, what?s wrong with my phone?
A: Make sure you put the battery cover back on your phone. The metallic connectors there act as antennas for your phone.

Q: I want to change the color of my xyz icon.
A: If it?s a desktop shortcut, try desktop visualizer. If it?s in the status bar or part of the system, wait for my next guide on Rezound Theme?ing.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Dude, that is awesome sauce and I'm sure will pull many peoples chestnuts out of the fire! Big time thanks to you Mr.Smith!

MODS Pleasssse Sticky!!

Last edited:

Nanashi1231

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Mr. Smith, your guide is seriously one of the clearest and most helpful out there on AC as well as XDA Developers. I was able to use SDK and the fastboot option to load the AmonRa version 3.14 in, but when I attempted to boot into recovery I kept getting the red triangle error. I've pulled the battery and rebooted into HBOOT, then recovery at least three times with no success. Any suggestions? I'm on three hours sleep at this point, so I'm relatively frazzled and unsure of how to proceed from here.

OK, false alarm, it turns out part of the adb.exe file was corrupted, and I needed to re-download the SDK file. Once again, thank you so much for this walk-through, it was totally worth the sleep deprivation to find it and root my phone. Gonna flash one of the Sense 4.0 ROMS and see how this baby runs without the bloat!

Last edited:

markewallace

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the <waiting for device> thing in HBOOT even though HTC Sync isn't (or doesn't seem to be) running. When I connect the phone normally (i.e. outside of HBOOT), my phone is properly recognized, so I'm a bit stuck on how to get past the <waiting for device>.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Mark

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting the <waiting for device> thing in HBOOT even though HTC Sync isn't (or doesn't seem to be) running. When I connect the phone normally (i.e. outside of HBOOT), my phone is properly recognized, so I'm a bit stuck on how to get past the <waiting for device>.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Mark

Try booting into HBOOT then plugging into your PC.. Check that the device registers properly on the PC. I believe it will come up as "HTC ADB Device". If it doesn't, try rebooting the PC and trying again. Also try different USB ports and if possible a different PC. Lastly, you still want to make sure that HTC sync isn't running on your PC.

leozdad

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Unlocking:

Don?t close the DOS window just yet. Now login to HTCDev.com and start the bootloader unlock process. Head to Step 10 and paste in the information you copied above. HTC will email you a file called Unlock_code.bin Copy that token to your AndroidSDK directory

is the android SDK directory the folder "Platformtools" mentioned in the command prompt or just in the main sdk folder?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
is the android SDK directory the folder "Platformtools" mentioned in the command prompt or just in the main sdk folder?

The main AndroidSDK folder(one level above platform-tools).

Your working directory should be something like : c:\androidSDK\platform-tools

If you follow my guide to the letter you should place files in c:\androidSDK

agasper12

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I need help. I tried to follow your guide. And everything seemed good. Now after Unlocking the phone, and trying to Root the phone, I'm just getting a blank screen. Is there a way to just restart the whole process or am I just stuck?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I unlocked and rooted but titanium back says I don't have root access? Any thoughts? Amines installed Su successfully

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I need help. I tried to follow your guide. And everything seemed good. Now after Unlocking the phone, and trying to Root the phone, I'm just getting a blank screen. Is there a way to just restart the whole process or am I just stuck?

Sorry never saw your post. If you still need help, are you on GB or ICS?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok so i was trying to flash scotts rom. Put the kernal and rom on the card. When i reboot to bootloader it sees the kernal and when i say i dont want to flash it it makes me just reboot so i cannot get to recovery or factoryreset. Am i doing something wrong or is there something i am missing

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok so i was trying to flash scotts rom. Put the kernal and rom on the card. When i reboot to bootloader it sees the kernal and when i say i dont want to flash it it makes me just reboot so i cannot get to recovery or factoryreset. Am i doing something wrong or is there something i am missing

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

I think I answered this in another thread but for anyone that doesn't know. If you run into this problem you have to remove PH98IMG.ZIP from your SD card. Whenever you go in the bootloader(HBOOT) with a PH98IMG.ZIP on your external SD card it will attempt to flash it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE