ICS OTA Warning

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm hiding this up here in the rooting section because most of the people that need this information will be regulars over here. For those that are unaware, the ICS OTA is supposedly underway. Anyone that wants to or is running a rooted ROM should be wary of this OTA as it may contain bootloader changes and/or other subversions that will knock out your ability to root/ROM.

Remember what the last GB OTA did? Just throwing this info out there...and don't say I didn't tell you ;-)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I thought of that. When I get my next reZound in an hour or so, I a going to S-off and return to stock, take the OTA and see what happens with root

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I remember the Dinc GB update. Changed the boot loader ENTIRELY and made it unable to root with Unrevoked anymore. You had to unlock the boot loader through HTC after that, and then you still didn't have S-off I don't think. Glad my Dinc was s-off as I still tinker with it trying to make it nice iPod touch like device. I've learned from this in the past and tried to warn others. The .10 leak is running just fine for me, so no need to take the update (if it is for real) until others waaaaaaay smarter than me have had time to disect it. I'm just hopeful it is for real, and when the source is out, great Roms can be made from it.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Its my understanding if you're s-off there shouldn't be any issue, except the loss of root/relock. Correct me if im wrong.

Edit: Mr. Smith, what were you on when you received the update? Stock/rooted/s-on?

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
They could have patched out the S-Off hack as well so really I wouldn't touch this with a 10ft pole if I had an unlocked/rooted/rom'd Rezound.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
They could have patched out the S-Off hack as well so really I wouldn't touch this with a 10ft pole if I had an unlocked/rooted/rom'd Rezound.

Agreed. I went s-off last night. Still on stock, rooted gb but I have s-off. Not sure what ill do next. Thought I would run the ruu to get on ics firmware and hboot but there may be no advantage to that other than not having to flash the gb patch.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah everyone keep updated on this. I have want to know before I flash the RUU. I am still on .5 leak

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

lonndoggie

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah everyone keep updated on this. I have want to know before I flash the RUU. I am still on .5 leak

I'll bite. Assuming the download ever finishes. I'll let y'all know how it goes, but don't hold your breath. I'd won't be disappointed at all if someone else posts their experiences before me.

lonndoggie

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Well, that didn't take long, did it?

Installed over the last leak. I was unlocked/rooted, but still s-on. Now I'm updated and once again unlocked/rooted.

Sorry I can't shed any light on what it does to your s-off capabilities, but if you're like me (so far) and just need root, you're good to go.

PRO TIP: Forgot to back up the internal sd card. That's where my titanium backup was. WAS. Sigh. Oh well, I have an old one from the last leak, reckon I'll use that.

EDIT:
TO BE CLEAR: I didn't run the actual OTA; this was simply flashing the equivalent RUU. Which is, I suppose, somewhat anticlimactic. More interesting will be if anyone who us running any RUU (or ROM) actually gets an OTA notice. And if they go for it, how they fare.

Last edited:

QuistisTrepe

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Anyone that wants to or is running a rooted ROM should be wary of this OTA as it may contain bootloader changes and/or other subversions that will knock out your ability to root/ROM.

Remember what the last GB OTA did? Just throwing this info out there...and don't say I didn't tell you ;-)

Isn't that what Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper is for? And the GB OTA update never installed on rooted devices which is why people had to compensate with stuff like CleanRom.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooted, unlocked, running CleanRom 1.7. , also S-on, What is the best method to get to ICS?

relock and run RUU. only catch is it wipes everything, which is not such a bad thing.

Or you could return to 100% stock(relock,stock recovery,stock rom,stock apps,unroot) and then take the ota

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Isn't that what Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper is for? And the GB OTA update never installed on rooted devices which is why people had to compensate with stuff like CleanRom.

There's no guarantee OTA rootkeeper will work. And I've already had a ton of people trying to get the official OTA from a rooted device rather than running the RUU. I only put the info out there so that people are aware of potential pitfalls.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
As a note for anyone, I was s-off, locked bootloader, unrooted on GB and at work when I got the OTA. Thought I would try to let it install so I did. You cannot install the OTA with AmonRa recovery, = soft brick. Stuck at the white splash screen.

Luckily I had my laptop in my car. Solution was to run an RUU in the form of any of the ICS leaks. I personally used the .10 leak since I didn't have the OTA yet. Just do the RUU thing and all good.

Keep in mind I don't know what happens if you are s-on. I assume the same but I don't know. I learned one thing with this phone is not to try to install things at work while s-on lol.

QuistisTrepe

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
There's no guarantee OTA rootkeeper will work. And I've already had a ton of people trying to get the official OTA from a rooted device rather than running the RUU. I only put the info out there so that people are aware of potential pitfalls.

Hm. Well, I've just read up on trying to get S-Off, and while CleanRom is GB, it is a different ROM from the stock, so it remains to be seen if that will work on my phone or not.

I know at XDA, they've AOSP running on the Rezound, though with some bricking.For those running CM9, I thought the Rezound was abandoned by that dev team?

geronimo48

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I just installed the ICS OTA on a completely stock Rezound. I want to root, but your warning made me pause. Do you expect a problem if I try to root? Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan