Rogers HTC One - 4.3 update problems?

Andrew ONeill

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
So far everything seems to be fine, the update went well, I just noticed one small thing so far. At work when I'm in certain areas of the plant where there is no signal I lose the weather animation above BlinkFeed. I'm not surprised that its gone without a signal but for some reason it won't come back at all when I'm back in an area with a signal. I can even click on the empty spot where the weather animation should be and up pops the forecast but the animation it's self just won't come back unless I restart the phone.

Anyone eles notice this? How about any other bugs? List them here if you've got them.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I wish I could tell you, but my Rogers HTC One is running 4.2.2, and when I got to about-->software updates, the phone says 'checking' and then comes back with 'your software is up to date'.

Did you have to wait until i.e. yesterday to see the update?

Maybe this has something to do with my phone being a 'test model'...

Andrew ONeill

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I just did what you did and the update was there. I was aware of it coming so I just kept checking and found it that way.
If you are on 4.2.2 then your phone is not only a 'test model' it must also originally have been American. I say this because many regions, including Canada, did not receive the 4.2.2 update but the U.S did. We were slated to get it after the states but HTC then realized that 4.3 would then have to be done as well. There solution was to stop the 4.2.2 update after the states got it and they then combined the two updates as one for Canada ect. That, however,left the U.S stuck on 4.2.2 in the meantime. Last I read the 4.3 update for American models is due by the end of this month or by mid November. You could contact Rogers and see if they can't 'push' the update to your phone but I'm thinking that may not be possible because of the difference between U.S and international (Canada ect.) models such as 'BlinkFeed' content for example.

tiger_lily_2

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I had the weather issue, but it somehow resolved itself, as did the backing up problem (in that it backed up four times the day I downloaded the update).

Issues that haven't resolved themselves:

In Messages app: contact pictures won't appear the majority of the time, but occasionally seem to "fix" themselves at random.

Wifi: my phone refuses to connect to wifi networks, even ones it recognizes and is supposed to connect to automatically.

In Mail app: no text in the body of the email. Both when I try to share a link via email, or when I try to compose a new email (in the former case nothing shows up in the box, and latter case I just can't type anything in the box).

In the Phone app: for a period of time I couldn't make or receive calls (either from within the phone app or from my Contacts app); incoming callers told me my phone rang with a busy signal (usually it just goes straight to voicemail if I'm already on the phone with someone else).

Needless to say, I am not impressed. The contact pictures issue and the wifi issue are my main problems, to be honest. They're just so ANNOYING. I've rebooted the phone numerous times (up to four times in an hour) but it only fixes a couple of problems at a time, and only temporarily (and turning my phone on and off repeatedly sucks battery). Frankly, after the software update this phone is worse than my old BlackBerry Bold 9700: at least when I had an issue with that, restarting it fixed the problem. The worst part is that I'm a total n00b when it comes to phone software, so I can't make sense of the guides that tell you how to downgrade to the older version of the software (and some of them require toolkits that operate on Windows, which I don't use). I've emailed HTC to ask if there's an easy way to downgrade (or if there's another solution to my problems), and if they can't help me I'll be making a phone call to Rogers. This phone was absolutely amazing until yesterday, and now I'm so frustrated I want to throw it at a wall. Hopefully someone will be able to offer me a solution, because I can't live with it for another 2.5 years while it's doing this.