06-16-2017 07:31 AM
80 1234
tools
    i get the same error, which is strange, as when i plug the USB into the S4, the screen opens but tells me to "connect your charger" (since my battery was low)... i have ordered a USB port and it should be here within a few days.. let's see how that turns out..

samsung s4 i9505.
    05-24-2014 01:27 PM
    Alright, I’m so pissed right now. I bought a new Galaxy S4 last year, and it lasted me for a whole year without any problems until the charging port started going wonky on me, and my phone wouldn’t charge. I ended up getting it to work again, but I was worried it would completely quit on me and I still have to keep this phone for a whole other year, so I filed an insurance claim. (I had taken it to Verizon first, but they couldn’t help me, and gave me a little insurance claim booklet thing instead.)

So I filed the insurance claim, (you have to pay 90 some dollars, and if you don’t send your old device back in a certain amount of time they make you pay even more money) and I got my phone the next day. They also send you a new SIM card, charger, and battery. I’ve had this new phone for maybe two weeks, and the charging port already seems to be broken again. I thought maybe it was because I was still using my old charger since they let you keep all that other stuff, but when I tried using the new charger it wouldn’t even go in my phone.

Now I love my phone, but apparently a lot of the Galaxy phones, or maybe just Samsung phones in general are doing this. When I took it to Verizon this one man thought I had an S5 apparently, and he said a lot of them were doing that and that Samsung was trying to fix the problem, but until then they were giving out new chargers that worked somehow. (obviously once they realized I had an S4 they couldn’t help me anymore, because the charger only goes with the S5)

I’ll probably try contacting the insurance place, but until then I’ve bought this thing on Amazon that charges the phone’s battery once you’ve taken the battery out of the phone. I’ve got two batteries now also, so hopefully it works well for me. And if all these phones have wonky charging ports, then I don’t see a point in trying to get it fixed or replaced if its’s just going to break again.

Edit: And now any time I plug my charger in to see if it will work, it makes this weird noise, almost like it’s frying it. ugh.
    06-22-2014 10:22 AM
    SOLVED
    Had same issue not charging / gray battery symbol when off (still charged when off but not when on).
    Had accidentally dropped very lower edge of phone into some water when problem started....
    dried phone in rice for 18 hrs = nothing
    tried to dry out with hair dryer for 5 minutes.... = nothing

Switched ON daydream (Settings-display-daydream) and set to BOTH (no clue if that helped or not) - blew out charging port with canned air for 10 seconds.... = SUCCESS!
    Verified!

Hope this helps!
    06-23-2014 09:27 AM
    Spread the word..... when you have the grey battery on screen.....hold down power button, up and down volume button all at the same time until grey battery goes away...charging battery will/should show up...hit battery button again and phone will/should turn on...or don't and let charge...
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy S4 - Not Charging - Grey Battery-sunset.jpg  
    07-24-2014 10:07 PM
    Spread the word..... when you have the grey battery on screen.....hold down power button, up and down volume button all at the same time until grey battery goes away...charging battery will/should show up...hit battery button again and phone will/should turn on...or don't and let charge...
    Hi,
    I replaced my sch-i545 (Verizon)'s USB charger port/board and I am still getting the grey battery icon when my battery is below 10%! I previously had the battery down to 0% to get the battery icon/vibrate sequence to occur and now still the only method that allows me to get the phone to turn back on is to do the Power On +Vol-up&Vol-down button sequence followed by pressing and holding the power button. I am wondering if the replacement USB charger board is defective or if there is a different problem?

Thanks

J
    08-16-2014 09:58 AM
    How much does it cost the usb board and ribbon
    I had same issue with my galacy s4 wouldn't keep a charge and said charger is incompatible. I was using a car charger not made by Verizon or samsung and I believe it bent the pron in charging port with a little wiggle up and down and move it in place my phone is charging perfectly and also says charging ac instead of charging usb. Just a little wiggle to put the pron back in place and it's good don't listen to anyone saying to spend money or reset or delete this or that. My cousin works in IT he fixed it said the charger pron got bent cuz of the car charger. No problems anymore charging perfectly.
    08-17-2014 01:11 PM
    My phone galaxy s4 was not charging, it vibrate when I plug it to a power socket and this gave me a lot of botheration. What I did was to vacuum the charging port as advised, and it worked is required.
    Thanks for this great forum
    09-08-2014 12:19 PM
    I had an accident yesterday when some coffee spilt all over me . I had the Galaxy s 4 in my pocket but i didnt realize immediatlely that it god wet .After 2 hours i pluged the charger but it had no respond on my device . Then i blew they charging port a little bit and tried it again . A grey battery icon appeared . It was showing like it was charging but they battery was slowly draining and not charging at all.
    09-09-2014 09:16 AM
    Hi ,

I just SOLVED this annoying problem. The dilemma started when I was on a pretty wet camping tour....I guess wet entered somehow via the usb port. The rest you know...only charging when its turned off, grey battery and vibrating every couple of seconds.

I tried everything posted here ....nothing worked. I am now pretty convinced that the above phenomenon can be caused by different reasons.
    1. broken usb port: solution (the only) change it
    2. Dust in the port: take it out somehow (preassure vacuum, needle, etc)
    and 3rd (my problem) wet:
    here is my solution:

"Bake " your phone at 70°C for 30 min under ventilation in the kitchen ofen. With back cover removed
    (before take out battery, sim card and sd card).
    let it cool down - wait 30 min.

and then connect it to the charger.

when I did this, battery was still grey for 5 min, but then turned green again and everything was fine...

good luck phix
    09-13-2014 04:23 AM
    Kevin, can you let me know how to select the correct micro usb board for my samsung S4? I see that there are many variations that look alike. Could it be that there has been superseded part numbers? I have seen that there are i337 and i545 part numbers, both for S4 phones. Is the i545 a newer version with different options? How to determine which one will work?
    11-08-2014 04:56 PM
    This worked! Thank you so much!
    12-20-2014 10:38 PM
    SOLVED
    Had same issue not charging / gray battery symbol when off (still charged when off but not when on).
    Had accidentally dropped very lower edge of phone into some water when problem started....

Switched ON daydream (Settings-display-daydream) and set to BOTH (no clue if that helped or not) - blew out charging port with canned air for 10 seconds.... = SUCCESS!
    Verified!

Hope this helps!
    03-17-2015 05:13 PM
    Thank you!! Used canned air and Now my phone charges! Woot!
    03-17-2015 05:14 PM
    Yes.. The solution is as I listed above. REPLACE THE USB PORT / RIBBON. That's it. I replaced mine (Over a month ago now!) and it has been working great ever since. It charges normally, the LED works, and everything is back to normal.

The problem is this $15 usb port / ribbon. 9 screws, lots of online how-to's.

Good luck!
    04-18-2015 03:18 PM
    I replaced my port. Worked 2 days. Now my scree is messed up.
    Any ideas?
    04-18-2015 03:18 PM
    I had similar issues with my S4 so i purchased a new battery and Charging Dock off Ebay for 10 bucks and after putting the battery that would not charge in the Charging dock for about an hour it started taking a charge again..
    07-09-2015 02:27 PM
    I love you
    07-27-2015 03:30 AM
    I have a galaxy s4 active i got last yr, and cant get a new phone right now. 2 days ago i was in car using car charger and phone died, i tried to put charger in to charge it and it wouldnt go in. I had to shove it in and now i get this grey battery sign and phone wont charge or turn on. It looks like it got bent inside, I just moved to Georgia and dont know anywhere i can bring my phone to fix it, if its even fixable. i'm going crazy without phone. can u tell me how u got ur phone to unbend inside so i an charge it
    10-16-2015 09:46 PM
    I've had my phone for less than two weeks and this happened, I was outside in the rain earlier with my phone in my pocket so it is possible that the USB port got wet but I didn't think so. Which method worked for people? None have for me
    12-27-2015 11:21 PM
    My Galaxy S4 would shut off on its own randomly. When I take out the battery and put it back in. the phone vibrates and starts restarting, but when it gets to the first part of the restart where it just reads "Samsung galaxy s4" in white , it would turn off again. I tried everything and what got it back on was just charging it for an hour or 2. When i initially charged it the red charging light would not come on, but after an hour it did followed by my phone working again.
    02-03-2016 01:31 PM
    Thanks!
    Blowing the usb port with a hair dryer for 15 seconds solved it! =D
    It was the same problem as described:
    First the battery ran out and I was unable to charge it.
    When plugged in, the phone vibrated every 10 seconds and a grey battery icon was visible on the display.
    I almost ordered a new usb pcb but thanks to Itsm3GeL I tried the hair blower first
    02-16-2016 03:45 PM
    I have a DIFFERENT approach folks can try:

My phone discharged completely and went dead, would not charge the battery, just sat there rebooting and showing a gray battery. I theorized the battery was too weak to accept a charge, at least that's what the phone was probably thinking. Even car batteries can get in such a state that a "smart" car battery charger won't charge it. Some of you might be familiar with this type of situation, where a battery is drained "too low to charge".

What happens is the "smart" charger sends a brief pulse of electricity to the battery and then samples the voltage of the battery to see if it is in a good enough condition to accept a charge. If your battery is too low on power, you're up the creek right? WRONG! You can often get a weak battery going again by "tricking" it into charging up just a little bit; enough to get the automatic charger to accept it again. Here's what I did on my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active that was only a month old:

I inserted the charger for a few seconds, removed it for a few seconds, and did this over and over again, perhaps 10 or 15 times. Eventually the green bar showed up and I gently placed the phone down and walked away from it for awhile. Then I held the power button and it booted up fully and was once again running and charging!

The moral of my story is sometimes the battery isn't bad, the phone isn't bad; it's just that the battery got too "dead" and these so-called "smart" phones can be awfully stupid sometimes!

Have you ever gotten your (modern) car stuck in an inch of snow, at the end of your driveway? Because that damn "traction control" refused to allow even the slightest bit of tire slippage? If so, you probably know all about that traction control button in your car and how you can turn it off so the darn car will actually MOVE for you !!!! Got to love technology!!!

-AtariJeff001

I did this unintentionally while trying to fix the problem. I looked over while reading through this thread and it was charging. Ha! Thanks!
    05-22-2016 10:02 PM
    SOLVED

Verified!

Hope this helps!
    Sorry for the necro post, folks. This saved my hide. Cleaning out the port is such a basic thing to do, but I didn't even think of it. Thanks!
    05-30-2016 11:48 AM
    Just thought I'd chime in here, since I found this thread very useful, twice now!

Battery stopped charging when the level dropped below about 15%. Solution was to turn off the phone, remove battery, blow out micro-USB port, and put battery back in. Charge for about an hour, with phone off. It buzzes with a grey battery icon every 5-10 seconds, pretty annoying. Make sure you put it to charge somewhere where people won't get bothered by the sound.

Remove charge cable, turn on phone, check that battery level is above about 40%. Then proceed to charge normally.

Make sure to remove the charge cable before turning on the phone, otherwise it just gets to the Samsung S4 logo, then it buzzes with the grey battery again and shuts back down.

If you try to charge when you turn on the phone, but the battery is about 35% or less, it will not charge. So be patient, go play outside or something.

This worked twice for us. Hope it helps anyone else who sees this happen to them too.
    08-16-2016 12:32 PM
    I think the problem is from your charger.
    08-16-2016 01:03 PM
80 1234