Sony Xperia 1 II, is anyone else excited about it?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm a big Sony Camera fan. I have a DSLR but I don't remember the model number. It was one of the last ones before they added video. I also have NEX6 and a pocket camera. Love the NEX 6 because most venues don't know it has a removable lens. I was going to a concert once and someone questioned the chrome ring but I bluffed her. I have to get a new battery for it.
Lol got em with the quick moves. Yes smaller cameras can get you places larger DSLRs definitely can't especially with sports venues and concerts and stuff. I'm looking forward to some reviews on YouTube. Maybe by next week we should start seeing them. But also I have a good feeling Sony will update this phone given the amount of detail they have put into the camera apps and hardware. A lot of the loaner units don't have RAW support yet which is coming in a future update.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Lol got em with the quick moves. Yes smaller cameras can get you places larger DSLRs definitely can't especially with sports venues and concerts and stuff. I'm looking forward to some reviews on YouTube. Maybe by next week we should start seeing them. But also I have a good feeling Sony will update this phone given the amount of detail they have put into the camera apps and hardware. A lot of the loaner units don't have RAW support yet which is coming in a future update.
Yeah the person at the gate was told by someone who cameras to look for the ring. I told her that's only true on large cameras and showed her I couldn't twist the lens off....she didn't know there was a release button....lol

I'm getting more interested in this Sony. I better get out of this thread.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
First review is here and it's a pretty thoughtful one rather than a review that treats it as every other phone. The fact that the guy shot and produced a short film with the phone shows that he actually used it and understands Sony's vision for content creators. I enjoyed it. I just wish he showed more camera samples but that's it.

https://youtu.be/M5P6EAm8iK8

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
First review is here and it's a pretty thoughtful one rather than a review that treats it as every other phone. The fact that the guy shot and produced a short film with the phone shows that he actually used it and understands Sony's vision for content creators. I enjoyed it. I just wish he showed more camera samples but that's it.

https://youtu.be/M5P6EAm8iK8
Its too much camera for most people. Interesting how there is more than one camera app.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Its too much camera for most people. Interesting how there is more than one camera app.
Well interestingly enough it isn't at the same time. Sony doesn't force anyone to use their dedicated pro apps. He didn't even touch on that in this review which kind of gives an incomplete picture but this review was catered to the segment the pro apps are targeted at and it shows. Very rarely does a manufacturer cover the bases for every segment of the market. The standard app handles everything for the point and shoot segment. The stand alone cinema pro and photo pro apps cover the needs for people like me who want that control when they want it. Like the ability to shoot long exposures from the telephoto lens which I'm assuming will get the same 30 second exposure time as the main sensor.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well interestingly enough it isn't at the same time. Sony doesn't force anyone to use their dedicated pro apps. He didn't even touch on that in this review which kind of gives an incomplete picture but this review was catered to the segment the pro apps are targeted at and it shows. Very rarely does a manufacturer cover the bases for every segment of the market. The standard app handles everything for the point and shoot segment. The stand alone cinema pro and photo pro apps cover the needs for people like me who want that control when they want it. Like the ability to shoot long exposures from the telephoto lens which I'm assuming will get the same 30 second exposure time as the main sensor.
Right, but I don't know if it will be enough of a compelling draw for the average person unless their results in auto are up there with best.

Last edited:

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Right, but I don't know if it will be enough of a compelling draw for the average person unless their results in auto are up there with best.
That's why we'll have to wait for more reviews. However I highly doubt that the average consumer will even know about this phone. The fact that we're here discussing it shows that we're at least enthusiast users. So either way Sony kinda loses that battle. I really do want to get this one and from what I'm seeing, the results are looking better and better by the day.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah normal people don't care about this pro apps and Sony also don't care about normal people. They are well aware that they aren't going to sell more than few hundred thousands of this in total lifetime of the phone. It's more of a phone to very small precent of niche crowd.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah normal people don't care about this pro apps and Sony also don't care about normal people. They are well aware that they aren't going to sell more than few hundred thousands of this in total lifetime of the phone. It's more of a phone to very small precent of niche crowd.
Agreed, only us abnormal people would look it.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I think it looks compelling. Lew from Unbox Therapy went crazy for it. The pro modes look fantastic. I am not a pro camera user. I bought a cheap DSLR last summer but I struggle to take good photos with it. But my camera is the most important feature for me on a phone. I take thousands of photos of my cats every year.

The aspect ratio is interesting but the phone is slim and I like that.

The price tag puts it firmly in niche category. But it may just be worth it for the pro camera features.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think it looks compelling. Lew from Unbox Therapy went crazy for it. The pro modes look fantastic. I am not a pro camera user. I bought a cheap DSLR last summer but I struggle to take good photos with it. But my camera is the most important feature for me on a phone. I take thousands of photos of my cats every year.

The aspect ratio is interesting but the phone is slim and I like that.

The price tag puts it firmly in niche category. But it may just be worth it for the pro camera features.
There's no such thing as a cheap DSLR if you get addicted to lenses

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I believe the pre-order period doesn't officially start until Monday so I would just wait until then to see.
I'm not all in yet, I'm also curious if the unlocked model supports WIFi and Volte on Verizon. Also don't see this device on the Verizon site yet, just last year's.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
On Amazon I don't see it bundled with ear buds. Will that change?
Yes that happens with all Xperia phones pre orders on Amazon based on my experience, the listing will get update within next week.

That's why I'm waiting, also the official pre order date for bundle was June 1st - June 28th anyway so it'll most likely get updated next week.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not all in yet, I'm also curious if the unlocked model supports WIFi and Volte on Verizon. Also don't see this device on the Verizon site yet, just last year's.
The Xperia 1 II Pro will be coming to Verizon with mmWave 5G. Not sure when that'll happen but it was announced few months back when Sony officially unveiled the Xperia 1 II series. So that will be fully compatible with Verizon and sold by them.

As far, wifi calling I never got a chance to use Xperia phones on Verizon since most of time with them was with T-Mobile. I can't remember if it worked on T-Mobile as well since I generally don't use wifi calling anyway. If I have to guess especially on Verizon it might not work with wifi calling and VoLTE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol