Pixel 5 leaks.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Wonder if the 5 will have IP68 protection? r
Really hoping so, but not sure how that works with plastic.
Yes it'll be and those are the additional premium features that'll distinguish the 5 from 4a line. Wireless charging, IP rating and few other stuff. Being plastic doesn't matter for those features though I hope rumours are wrong and it's actually a glass back. Not a deal breaker with plastic but personally prefer glass back.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The 2 was actually metal with a rubberized type non slip coating on it....a lot of folks thought it made the phone feel cheaper, but it was a heck of a lot easier to hang on to than the super slippery metal pixel 1 ;-)

And they'll have no trouble getting an IP 68 rating with plastic. I have a 20+ year old plastic GPS unit with a removable battery that is completely waterproof. The material isn't the problem, it's how well they seal it up ;-)

OHHH yeah, you're right! I forgot about that. I never thought my Pixel 2 felt cheap, either - it felt great to hold!

livetovacation60

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
I have a 2XL and a 3a XL which are both 6.0, which is a great size for me. If it came in at a 6.2 that would be OK as well.........anything bigger we'll have to wait for something else.

straygator

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a P2XL that still performs flawlessly and provides a full day of battery life after 2.5 years of use; but recognizing that my future system updates have now expired, and that the time is near when deterioration in the operations of the phone can be expected, I'm ready to move on. Based on the leaked information presently available, I'm enthusiastic about the prospect of acquiring the P5 as a replacement -- in large part because it promises to be a relatively seamless upgrade from the device I've thoroughly enjoyed.

The 6.0" display is the size to which I'm accustomed, and has proven to be a perfect fit for me. (As a bonus, I may be able to continue using the SENA leather pocket cases that have so effectively -- and fashionably -- protected my 2XL.) As someone who values reliability and simplicity of function over innovative features and specs that don't really enhance my own (ordinary) user experience, I'm not at all disappointed to hear that the P5 will not include some of the novelties ("gizmos" to us geezers) that were promoted in the P4 series, like motion sense and face unlock. On the other hand, I'm encouraged by the substitution of a wide-angle lens for the telephoto, and by the increase in RAM. I'd be even more excited if Google were to offer an increased storage option of 256GB; but I'm planning to purchase the 1 TB Google Photos storage anyway by the end of this year.

Finally, the reduced price is just an unexpected benefit, considering that the reported changes being made in the P5 seem perfectly suited for my preferences. Count me as a happy Google customer if the reports turn out to be accurate and the P5 turns out to be as good as the P2XL.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping the P5 isn't any larger than the P4 in physical dimension. The P4 is perfect size for me. I actually pre-ordered the P4a for my girlfriend but then cancelled it when I heard the P5 announcement will be Sept. 30th. I originally had a ship date of Sept 15th for the 4a but now they show November delivery if I decide to get the 4a afterall. Kinda regret cancelling my pre-order but I wanted to see what else is coming down the pipe. My girlfriend is using an iPhone 11 and hates it. Her favourite phone of all time was the Nexus 5 so she wants to come back to Google.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The Pixel 5 is rumored to be slightly larger at 6.0" So unless they shrink the bezels a bit more, the 5 will be slightly taller most likely.

cgr1971

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the formula they have had for the first four generations with two sizes, a standard and an XL was better than one size fits all. I struggle to type on smaller phones. I can see where someone who has smaller hands would like the smaller phones though.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the formula they have had for the first four generations with two sizes, a standard and an XL was better than one size fits all. I struggle to type on smaller phones. I can see where someone who has smaller hands would like the smaller phones though.

I totally agree with you! It was wonderful when you had a smaller and larger option to choose from. I'm in the smaller hands camp but you can't discount those who want larger phones. It's a difficult medium to hit. It's best to stick with two devices, IMO.