I have a Pixel 3XL and it it is running great no issues very happy with it. I am looking for a reason though to upgrade to the Pixel 5 when it comes out. Here are two reasons holding me back: smaller screen, only a mid range processor (765G). Given the leaked specs I am looking for reasons to switch and any reasons opinions and insights are appreciated. Thanks.
    09-15-2020 06:08 AM
    I have a 2 (not even a 2XL) and I still haven't seen a reason to upgrade. (The camera app is about the only thing that's been improved, and I'm running the latest one, so I can take the same pictures as the 4.) I hope they'll give us a reason by the 6, or I'm stuck on Android 11 for a few more years.
    kenorian likes this.
    09-15-2020 01:29 PM
    I have a 2 (not even a 2XL) and I still haven't seen a reason to upgrade. (The camera app is about the only thing that's been improved, and I'm running the latest one, so I can take the same pictures as the 4.) I hope they'll give us a reason by the 6, or I'm stuck on Android 11 for a few more years.
    Ever since the Treo days, through Blackberry days Nexus days and Pixel days, I've always gotten a new phone every year. Still with the Pixel 3XL, and.... I'm still thinking about what it doesn't do that I want it to. Plus, back in may, my phone took a swim in the ocean (long sad story). Fortunately I had purchase the extended care thing. So, the next day I got a replacement phone with a brand new battery. Maybe I'm getting older, but I don't have to impress anyone any more, and the 3XL is just so tuned up the way I like it (takes a full day to bring everything back to status quo). Always pre-ordered whatever Google came out with (except the 4 series). Probably will go to the 5, but certainly not paying top dollar out of the gate.
    09-15-2020 04:03 PM
    I have a Pixel 3XL and it it is running great no issues very happy with it. I am looking for a reason though to upgrade to the Pixel 5 when it comes out. Here are two reasons holding me back: smaller screen, only a mid range processor (765G). Given the leaked specs I am looking for reasons to switch and any reasons opinions and insights are appreciated. Thanks.
    I had a 2 XL and didn't see substantive enough improvements to warrant upgrading to the 3 XL (this having been an upgrader virtually every year, from Nexus 4->5->6->Pixel->Pixel 2, only skipping the 6P). Was incredibly fortunate and won a 3 XL in a drawing, so am using that now. The 4 came along, again no huge upgrades (would have been a bit more tempting had I still been using the 2 XL).

With the 5 imminent, I'm in a slightly different position.

YMMV, but my 3 XL's battery was much worse for the wear at the one-year mark than any other Nexus/Pixel I've owned, and coming up at 2 years is at about 34% battery health. While I know I could get a new battery installed for about $90, that seems likely to be a poor investment in a device is approaching end-of-support and is well outside its warranty.

Aside from battery life, a few things that appeal to me on the 5 include the dedicated wide angle lens, higher refresh rate display, eradication of the notch, and - perhaps most of all - 5g compatibility. Being a T-Mo user, while I'm not anticipating greatly enhanced speeds in the near future, from what I'm reading, the potential for relevant coverage enhancement (both geographic and in-building) are being realized much more quickly.

I'll probably upgrade, though candidly may be as or more likely to go with the 5aXL as with the 5.
    kenorian likes this.
    09-16-2020 10:08 AM
    All good points Jeremy. I too have horrible battery life now on the Pixel 3Xl so maybe the less power hungry 765G on the Pixel 5 will be a benefit in that area. I also would prefer the 90 hz display and the hole cutout instead of the notch. However I would rather have the wide angle lense in front instead of back for selfies, but I am willing to sacrifice that in favor of losing the notch. My main concern though is display size so I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it looks and feels for myself when it comes out.
    kenorian likes this.
    09-16-2020 10:36 AM