Visit site
I wish Google would bring back the Face Unlock from the Pixel 4XL to the 7XL
Make if a flat display as well.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Google need to focus on quality. Hardware and software quality:

Hardware:
- The fingerprint sensor slow speed and inaccuracy is not acceptable for 2019, let alone 2021/2022. They have to use a better, faster, more reliable fingerprint sensor. Ultrasonic fingerprint sensors have been on the market for a while now - no reason not to use them.
- Tensor runs hot, drains battery, doesn't seem to provide any tangible benefits in it's performance or unique features. I don't know why Google went with Tensor, especially when they're just using ARM reference design cores and aren't even designing it themselves. What's the point when competing processors are faster/more efficient?
- Reception issues might be from the Samsung 5123 modem. If that is the case, then they should just pay the extra money and go with a Qualcomm modem.
- Please, no more curved screens.

Software:
- Where to begin. Android 12 has just been a tragedy of errors. Extremely buggy, some really questionable/poor design decisions which make previously easily accessible/changeable things now take more time. This might be the buggiest Pixel release. Bug test thoroughly.
- The camera tweaking needs to be significantly improved. It's very inconsistent now and I feel the camera on the previous Pixel phones were better; likely due to more time tweaking the image processing.
- Bug test thoroughly
- Video on the Pixel 6 Pro still isn't very good. I still prefer Galaxy's video recording and much prefer iPhone's.
- Reception issues may be software related, so they absolutely need to make sure they have the settings right. A phone without the ability to make phonecalls is just a small tablet.
- Bug test thoroughly

I'd like these things addressed far more than some added gimmick. If users have so many issues and bugs in their experience, they're not going to be returning customers.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Flat display....YES!
Face Unlock?...Maybe, because there are some (not me) that like it. But why not go back to rear fps also? Offer both options. Rear fps is reliable and fast. Face unlock appeals to many. Why not give the people options?

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking about that and most likely yes it could be done. The back glass on any phone I have taken apart is painted/frosted on the inside; you can scrap it off. Therefore a small area could be removed to show a fingerprint logo thingy and place the sensor under that spot and should be able to work. However, most likely no difference in the feel. However, a case could be developed to have an opening for the finger to head directly to and press. But I bet it will never happen.

Best thing for the Pixel 7 would be to copy Samsung and use a larger ultrasonic and activate facial recognition if the person desires.

When I had the S21U for two days, the fingerprint sensor was perfect, and the facial was about 90 percent perfect.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Can they put rear capacitive FPS on a glass back? Don't believe they can.

Bigger question - why do we need glass backs? I guess people like phones that can break on both sides when dropped.

Pretty sure my Note 8 had a glass back and a rear fps and wireless charging.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Bigger question - why do we need glass backs? I guess people like phones that can break on both sides when dropped.

Pretty sure my Note 8 had a glass back and a rear fps and wireless charging.

Glass back allows wireless charging and plastic back feels (and is perceived as) cheap, so that's why OEM's go with glass backs.

My preference would be full metal bodies, but then we lose wireless charging. I remember there was some work done on having wireless charging possible on metal phones. But not sure what happened to it. Maybe not safe/effective enough to actually work.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
That's what I have read, people think plastic is cheap. I prefer glass, even if I put a case on it and not really sure why. Since wireless charging works off magnetic fields a metal back will cause eddy current disrupting the flow. However, I have heard of carbon fiber backs but cost maybe too high.
Copper and Aluminum might work?

The Note 8 did have glass back and rear FPS...the FPS was built into the camera module at the back of the phone. So, yes, a manufacture could place the FPS into a camera module or just into a separate module in the back; never thought of that. Most likely due to camera modules getting thicker due to higher tech cameras that could be deemed uncomfortable or not easy but a separate module would be cool.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been thinking about that and most likely yes it could be done. The back glass on any phone I have taken apart is painted/frosted on the inside; you can scrap it off. Therefore a small area could be removed to show a fingerprint logo thingy and place the sensor under that spot and should be able to work. However, most likely no difference in the feel. However, a case could be developed to have an opening for the finger to head directly to and press. But I bet it will never happen.

Best thing for the Pixel 7 would be to copy Samsung and use a larger ultrasonic and activate facial recognition if the person desires.

When I had the S21U for two days, the fingerprint sensor was perfect, and the facial was about 90 percent perfect.

That would be an amazing feat if they could accomplish that! I sometimes miss the in-display fingerprint reader but I also love the back fingerprint scanner on my Pixel 5. I suppose I'd be happy with either on the Pixel 7. Facial recognition was great on my S10 and I used it more often than I thought I would -- but the other two biometrics were by far superior in my eyes.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed placed this info on the 6a under the 7. Could it be moved? I guess my brain had not thawed out from the dog walk at 3AM