Anybody else have zero interest in a 4.5" device

Bendroid55

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
It seems like most (Moto Droid HD, Samsung Hercules, HTC Holiday, Samsung Celox etc.) of the recent specification leaks and rumors for upcoming devices include a 4.5" screen. I've used the Droid X and the Thunderbolt and I've found both to be uncomfortably large (insert joke here :p) with a 4.3" screen. I'm excited about the hardware improvements we are seeing in android handsets, but I would like to see something sized closer to my beloved Droid Incredible. I'm just not at all interested in buying a gigantic phone even if they are thinner than a lot of today's Hummer phones. I guess I'm in the minority. Anybody else like to see a high end phone released in the 3.7" to 4" range?

Reactions: droidmyme

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree, 4" really is the sweet spot, but because the evo had such success everyone seems to think that bigger = more sales. I wouldn't mind a larger screen with no buttons (like the nexus prime is supposed to be)
on the other hand, my freind has a inspire from AT&T and i like how it feels in the hand, even though i prefer a smaller screen it really depends how the whole device feels.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
You aren't alone. I feel the same way. My Thunderbolt isn't too bad at 4.3", but thats the highest I'm willing to go right now. I rather have a 4" phone. I hope they don't go away.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Completely agree. I gave up waiting & got the Nexus S that day when Best Buy had it free, figuring the new high end devices coming out would all be larger. I was so disappointed when Sprint's version of the Atrix and Sprint's version of the GSII both turned out to be oversized. Thrilled with this phone though!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Rominucka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I, on the other hand, enjoy a giant screen. It's an easy to notice competitive edge over the tiny iPhone screen, which is why a lot of the Android screens are going larger and larger. Putting my mighty Charge next to the wimpy iPhone has helped me sway a good number of customers over to the Android world.

It also makes it easier for people who have a hard time typing on a touchscreen to have a larger screen. Believe me, I'm sure these companies have done their research to know that bigger is better.

People I know over at AT&T say that a good number of customers return their newly bought iPhones to get the Infuse. And when I put my prodigious Charge next to an Infuse, I must admit that a ping of jealousy shoots up my spine. It has such an awesome screen.
But then when I try to go on the internet with it....HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AT&T....H+ is so cute.

c_86

HaXoR Master
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
i agree to... i love my atrix because of the screen size... anything bigger then that i find is to big and uncomfortable to use

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking forward to a bigger phone. I'm not sure where my cut off would be on size. But I'm a big guy, and I think I might be able to swing 5".

Sent from my DROIDX

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
A 4.5" display is a good size in my personal option anything below 4.3" is not useful especially for watching Netflix or YouTube. 4.5" to 5" is the optimal screen size

jtrow9

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Getting ready to jump from old BB Curve to a Nexus S or Infuse 4G. I am worried about screen size of the Infuse.....To me it seems like 4" would be the ideal size but I guess I won't really know until I have one.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm right there with you, guys.

Me -------------------------->
m.jpg

brillrick

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It seems like most (Moto Droid HD, Samsung Hercules, HTC Holiday, Samsung Celox etc.) of the recent specification leaks and rumors for upcoming devices include a 4.5" screen. I've used the Droid X and the Thunderbolt and I've found both to be uncomfortably large (insert joke here :p) with a 4.3" screen. I'm excited about the hardware improvements we are seeing in android handsets, but I would like to see something sized closer to my beloved Droid Incredible. I'm just not at all interested in buying a gigantic phone even if they are thinner than a lot of today's Hummer phones. I guess I'm in the minority. Anybody else like to see a high end phone released in the 3.7" to 4" range?

I'm thinking it might not be possible to do a high end phone at the smaller sizes yet, because they might not be able to fit all the high end components inside a 3.7" phone because the components are not small enough yet. They would probably have to make the phones thicker in order to fit in the same components, which is something customers usually reject. By the time they can fit all the components into a 3.7" phone and keep it really thin there will be some new technology that everyone will want.

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else beginning to blush at this? I'm all for bigger screens if properly implemented (see ICS software buttons), but I chose the DInc2 over the T-Bolt because it just felt better in my hands. Of course, I'm of Irish decent, so YMMV.

Bryan

darkrisen

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I prefer larger screens myself because it will making watching movies or gaming or pretty much everything better. That's just me though

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I think we are hearing rumors of 5 inch phones because that is currently how far Sammy can shrink their Super AMOLED HD screens. As time passes and methods are refined, we may see these screens coming to 4.3 and even 4 inch devices. The technology just isn't there yet. So you can get a smaller device, but it won't be an HD screen...

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking it might not be possible to do a high end phone at the smaller sizes yet, because they might not be able to fit all the high end components inside a 3.7" phone because the components are not small enough yet. They would probably have to make the phones thicker in order to fit in the same components, which is something customers usually reject. By the time they can fit all the components into a 3.7" phone and keep it really thin there will be some new technology that everyone will want.

I believe you, sir, hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually come back down to the 4" realm (or 4.3 without capacitive buttons) once the technology advances.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
As the technolog improves the amount of your phone that is taken up by the screen will increase, meaning an increase in screen size might not always come with an increase in form factor size. I'm guessing in the future a lot of 4.5" phones will be very similar in size today's 4.3" phones and simply have less of area around the sides which is not part of the screen.