New Dual Screen Android Super Phone in the works

lexodroidx

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
About a month or so ago I was part of a test group that got to try out a new and unusual android beast. The phone was of an unspecified manufacturer but I assume it was Samsung based on the font that was used on its labeling. The phone was about 4.3" in it's standard form. The display slid out on tracks similar to the OG Droid, except that it became flush. There was a small border where the two screens became flush in between. The cool part about this feature is that it allowed you to basically run two apps simultaneously in Landscape mode. One app such as the browser could be run taking up both screens. The only drawback to running a app on two screens was the border in the middle. The phone had rear and front facing cameras although the rear camera did not sport an LED flash. The phone was running on 2.3 at the time. I got the feeling the man who presented it was someone intimately involved in the phone's design because when I asked why there wasn't a camera flash he mentioned that, "we couldn't fit anything else into the casing". Some awesome peripherals were included such as a tablet that the phone could dock itself into and a alarm clock dock. The tablet had its own battery which essentially doubled the overall battery life. The memory was 32 GB internal with no SD card option. I tried to look at any revealing info as to who the Manufacturer, carrier were by looking at the about phone info but it was all seemingly random numbers and letters, (at least to me anyways). The phone was said to have a dual core qualcom processor. When we asked for a release date he mentioned Christmas. There was no HDMI output but the dock apparently allowed for it. When asked about battery life the guy said he was getting about 8-10 hours on average. Please feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.
:cool:

Last edited:

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Defienrlt sounds like a beefed up Echo. That didnt turn out well, and doubt this one will. Sounds interesting though.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I've heard of this. It's called the Padfone (that's how it's spelled) and the company who made it is ASUS. It was on Engadget for quite a while now. Except I think they revamped the phone by adding that extra slide-out screen. So idk. It could still be an entirely different phone.

Geikamir

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
This sounds awesome to me. I have plenty of questions.

How responsive was the phone with two different apps up at the same time? Did it feel sluggish?

Did you find out what resolution the screen was?

When the phone slide out and became flush, were both screens about 4.3"?

Did you hear anything about pricing for the phone? Or pricing for the pad dock?

What was the weight of the phone/dock like? And how thin/thick was it?

johnisabeastyboi

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Just checked out the padphone 2 and it's pretty impressive ,but I didn't see a padphone with a screen attached? Do you know if it's a special padphone or something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy