Will Motorola Make the Next Nexus?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
No I just read the list. Sorry if your list didn't have the right info.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Well my opinion changed drastically from the quote you replied to. Honestly I can't remember what my original idea was for the topic of this forum. Since I made posts in this thread almost a YEAR AGO. So then this "list" you are referring to means nothing to me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well my opinion changed drastically from the quote you replied to. Honestly I can't remember what my original idea was for the topic of this forum. Since I made posts in this thread almost a YEAR AGO. So then this "list" you are referring to means nothing to me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
Haha it was a year ago? That's crazy. Okay. That makes a lot more sense now. Peace. :D:thumbup:

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yet the supposedly non-carrier influenced RAZR i has MotoBlur, just like the Verizon-influenced DROID RAZR M.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

If you're already required to skin some of your phones you may as well be consistent. Also, those phones were in the pipeline before Google bought them. I'm sure Jha thought blur was a good idea. It's the new management that said this. Carriers even ask for things in the skins to be changed. Look at the Optimus G on Sprint and At&t. You think LG was like let's just change up the settings menu on one of these phones to see how it goes? I'm not saying every manufacturer wants to put stock Android on their phones, but I believe if Moto could now, they would.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you're already required to skin some of your phones you may as well be consistent. Also, those phones were in the pipeline before Google bought them. I'm sure Jha thought blur was a good idea. It's the new management that said this. Carriers even ask for things in the skins to be changed. Look at the Optimus G on Sprint and At&t. You think LG was like let's just change up the settings menu on one of these phones to see how it goes? I'm not saying every manufacturer wants to put stock Android on their phones, but I believe if Moto could now, they would.

Solely placing the "blame" on carriers for OEM customizations ignores the fact that the OEMs want to differentiate their products from their competitors as well. Sense as a UI even existed before Android.

I believe that as long as the Motorola brand exists, there is a place for MotoBlur. That's part of beauty of Android.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Solely placing the "blame" on carriers for OEM customizations ignores the fact that the OEMs want to differentiate their products from their competitors as well. Sense as a UI even existed before Android.

I believe that as long as the Motorola brand exists, there is a place for MotoBlur. That's part of beauty of Android.

If you're the only one using stock, you are differentiating yourself. You could also get updates out faster which would also set you apart. They're going as minimal as possible so to me it looks like they don't really want to continue the skin. I think some skins are good, like Touchwiz, and it's good that OEMs can add their own personal flavor but some, such as Sense, just suck IMO. I guess it doesn't really matter because Blur will continue like you said,but we just disagree as to the reasons why.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If you're the only one using stock, you are differentiating yourself. You could also get updates out faster which would also set you apart. They're going as minimal as possible so to me it looks like they don't really want to continue the skin. I think some skins are good, like Touchwiz, and it's good that OEMs can add their own personal flavor but some, such as Sense, just suck IMO. I guess it doesn't really matter because Blur will continue like you said,but we just disagree as to the reasons why.

I'm all for skins as long as they don't hinder the update process. I should have the option to update my OS without having to wait for crapware to be compatible. If the skin was developed like a launcher it would make things easier for everyone. DELL sells their computers with all kinds of garbage installed but I can remove it. Why should your phone be any different. And I mean without rooting.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm all for skins as long as they don't hinder the update process. I should have the option to update my OS without having to wait for crapware to be compatible. If the skin was developed like a launcher it would make things easier for everyone. DELL sells their computers with all kinds of garbage installed but I can remove it. Why should your phone be any different. And I mean without rooting.

Problem is mobile devices are not open standard based like PC where you can build device by yourself, that forced freedom of installing system for yourself as otherwise PC market would not able to work and trying to force closure will fail... it already failing on latest attempts with UEFI. Software companies whats you to be locked in there box of services and that reached imo insane level on carriers in US, all i hear here is carrier that and this on hardware and software topics and freely sold phones are odd revolution everyone is suppriced about (Nexus 4)... where im my country it's notmal thing i dont need to care about carrier if i dont want to.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If the "skin" isn't part of the AOSP, it's going to "hinder" the update process.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If the "skin" isn't part of the AOSP, it's going to "hinder" the update process.
why? The added Crap is just apps and launchers for the most part. If they treated them that way rather than wrapping it all together people could choose. I personally loved lots of things about HTC sense but I still think that if the core part of Vanilla Android ways separate it would be better. If htc doesn't get their apps updated for the latest OS update then I have the option of not updating. It's no different than when I updated to windows 8, there were a bunch of programs that were not compatible so I had the option to choose what I wanted to do.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
why? The added Crap is just apps and launchers for the most part. If they treated them that way rather than wrapping it all together people could choose. I personally loved lots of things about HTC sense but I still think that if the core part of Vanilla Android ways separate it would be better. If htc doesn't get their apps updated for the latest OS update then I have the option of not updating. It's no different than when I updated to windows 8, there were a bunch of programs that were not compatible so I had the option to choose what I wanted to do.

The added "crap" goes way beyond the launcher.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The added "crap" goes way beyond the launcher.

that's my point it doesn't add enough value to go beyond it. Unless we are maybe taking about the Note 2.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

This is the whole idea behind the X Phone, is it not? Enable the OEM skin to exist on top of stock Android instead of within.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung, HTC, and Motorola would all disagree.
True yet I feel that the only company doing anything really significant with their skin is Samsung. I don't mean in terms of looks because Sense looks great but so many people just re skin with launchers anyway. If it wasn't so layered then people would be able to buy phones that have the best hardware and build quality.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This is the whole idea behind the X Phone, is it not? Enable the OEM skin to exist on top of stock Android instead of within.
Exactly. Google knows that if and when this phone comes out they will make a few enemies. Only Samsung will remain ahead of the curve. The rest will cry in their beers.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Still a rumor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

True, but it's a rumor that makes a ton of sense. If Google could develop Android in that way, everyone would win. People could have their fast updates and still get all the benefits from the skins. OEM's could focus on just making their own software better instead of focusing on it playing nice with the base code.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
True, but it's a rumor that makes a ton of sense. If Google could develop Android in that way, everyone would win. People could have their fast updates and still get all the benefits from the skins. OEM's could focus on just making their own software better instead of focusing on it playing nice with the base code.

The fundamental flaw with that thinking is calling them "skins" when they go deeper than that.

Plus that really wouldn't get updates out that much faster because if the base breaks the skin, you still won't be getting that update right away.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance