6.5" Screen on a Smartphone... anybody?

Buzz_Dengue

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, if you keep the width of the current Galaxy Note (3.266"), use a screen aspect ratio of 16:9 and deploy a minimalist bezel, the result would be a 6.5" diagonal screen (5.665" X 3.187")...

THAT is the cell device I want...

Reactions: pmjj

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
More talk of edge to edge displays huh? I've used the note before and it's just barely useable one handed. 6.5 pushes that past the limit, IMHO.

max_stirling

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
As a current Note owner, which I love more than any phone I've ever owned (both Apple and Android), the Note is not too big. No problems fitting it in the front or rear pockets of my jeans or dress pants. I understand your question about keeping the physical dimensions of the Note and installing the biggest screen possible in that form factor. My answer to that is that it would be interesting, but ppl might get frustrated when wrapping their fingers around the phone to hold it and unintentionally trigging some part of the phone or application in do so.

I think there needs to be some relationship with the size and weight of a phone and a minimum bezel to hold it or rest your fingers on. I have a tablet and I need that bezel to hold it without triggering something unintentionally.

G2 owner

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
OK, if you keep the width of the current Galaxy Note (3.266"), use a screen aspect ratio of 16:9 and deploy a minimalist bezel, the result would be a 6.5" diagonal screen (5.665" X 3.187")...

THAT is the cell device I want...
Ever heard of a 7inch tablet? There is no way that there will be a 6.5 inch phone 5.5 inch maybe but not a tablet that makes phone calls.

ffastffrank

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes, absolutely I would like one. I carry a 7" HTC Flyer in my left front pocket everywhere I go and the EVO in the right pocket. Make sure it has plenty of internal memory, multi core, and an easy access micro SD slot. I would like a pen that also acts as a BT handset that could clip in a shirt pocket or collar, that way, calls could be handled with phone in pocket. Another feature that would be neat is if device is removed from pocket while on BT, the screen would automatically display a notepad/caller log with caller info and date/time stamp so user could easily take notes/record speech to text conversation. That would do it for me. The ElderTechTutor

Last edited:

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely be interested in a device with screen bigger than the GNote but hopefully it would be not quite as wide and tall as the note. Maybe that is just a Note with smaller bezel. But bezel is also important to avoid accidental touch while holding. I hated the buttons on EVO 4G because they were too close to the corners. All the 6" and larger tablets and ereaders have a big bezel to hold, but it would be interesting to see how the experience is with less bezel to have a smaller device.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
There are already at least one tablet bigger than this than can make phone calls...

And IMO 6.5" is a tablet. 4.3", 4.5"" is already pushing it. 5" and over is tablet territory.

aludal

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
As long as the device with screen diagonal between 5.3" and 7" can be
a) quite pocketable, can be reasonably handled as a phone by one hand (that is, has minimal, or zero top, bottom bezels when in landscape),
b) has a hi-res SAMOLED screen with additional digitizer for stylus note taking,
this type of phoblet or phablet (see in my blog Fine Oils) is absolutely legit, at least for Samsung that is bent on releasing as many models as possible in calibers that are not taken by competition.

bigcatman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, absolutely I would like one. I carry a 7" HTC Flyer in my left front pocket everywhere I go and the EVO in the right pocket. Make sure it has plenty of internal memory, multi core, and an easy access micro SD slot. I would like a pen that also acts as a BT handset that could clip in a shirt pocket or collar, that way, calls could be handled with phone in pocket. Another feature that would be neat is if device is removed from pocket while on BT, the screen would automatically display a notepad/caller log with caller info and date/time stamp so user could easily take notes/record speech to text conversation. That would do it for me. The ElderTechTutor

Holy crap. 7" tablet in your front pocket? What are you, 500 pounds? What kind of jeans are you wearing lol. Are you sure you're walking around with those or are you on your Hoveround?

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
The Note appears to just fit in a shirt pocket, which is a lot more likely place for me to carry it than in either a front or back pants pocket. I frequently wear cargo pants, and could rearrange stuff to be able to carry a phone in one of the side pockets, but the pocket that is most consistently available is the breast pocket of a shirt. Anything that will fit in there with some sort of skin-tight protective case is in the ballpark for me.

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess I wear skinny jeans. The Galaxy Nexus uncomfortably fit in my pocket and that was only a 4.65" screen. Can't imagine adding 2.35" on that sucker + bezel.

Everyone tells me my jeans are tight, but this morning on the way to work, Both Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note and a pen in my front pocket without them overlapping.

Anybody that says the note is too big for pockets must have their jeans painted on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech