So why no High-End phones being announced from VZW?

mettec

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
It's funny that all the other major carriers have someway or another been showing us their new high-end phones from MWC but VZW has been quiet about any phones they will soon be releasing. I know we have heard about the Inc. 4G but that seems to be a mid-range phone. The LG Lucid is also a mid-range phone, and the Motorola Blade is still a mystery as far as specs and release date.

So why is VZW not telling us anything? Thoughts?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Lmao, I've been telling the people saying the same thing about Sprint for the past few months this would happen. Its pretty simple. Sprint releases the bulk of their high end phones over the summer, and Verizon releases the bulk of theirs in the fall/winter

Last edited:

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
The more I look at the Evo 4G LTE, the more I think perhaps it's time to leave Verizon. If only their coverage in Southern California was more dependable and was better covered.

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I think it boils down to "coverage and network VS. hardware."

With quad-core processors announced and the new S4 chips, EVERY phone currently on Verizon is last-year tech. While some like the Rezound are very good spec'd phones, they are showing their age on paper. For many with an upgrade, they are not worth wasting 24 months on at this point in the new year.

For many, Verizon has the best coverage and network, so almost *any* mid-range device will suit their needs because the better network is greater than having the best (or up-to-date for that matter) phone.
Verizon knows this. They are not out to gain a larger customer base like Sprint, T-mobile, or even AT&T is. They know having a great infrastructure means current customers will tolerate low to mid-ranged devices. They are cheaper and actually net a higher profit margin for Verizon.

If you want an up-to-date slab of hardware, Verizon is almost always going to disappoint.

So, if you can live without their network, you should most certainly consider another carrier like AT&T or Sprint. AT&T almost always has the best hardware currently available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Issemann

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I spent a year on AT&T and never had so many dropped calls in my life. That was when I could get a signal. In Southern California, a lot of people like AT&T, but I think the network is just too congested. Ten years on Verizon and never had a dropped call that I can remember until yesterday.

Verizon frequently seems to be late to the game (with the exception of their LTE network), whether it be how long they test things, delays, etc. In the end though, I guess it all comes down to having a great phone with spotty coverage or a phone I can live with and excellent coverage. In the end though, I think they need to take a look at their prices and adjust accordingly when better spec'ed phones on AT&T and Sprint seem to cost less on average.

venious

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 5 is probably coming in June/July. Yuck.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2125009/iPhone-5-release-date-Apples-Chinese-supplier-Foxconn-recruiting-18k-people-build-new-device-June.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Errola0

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The only High end device any of the carrier's announced that is better than the devices in Verizon's current line up is the HTC One X/Evo.

They other carriers have a SINGLE higher spec'd device that isn't even out yet. Give it time :p

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The more I look at the Evo 4G LTE, the more I think perhaps it's time to leave Verizon. If only their coverage in Southern California was more dependable and was better covered.

Why would you switch carriers over a phone. Wait a bit and VZW will have a phone better than the Evo 4G, then after that some other carrier will have a phone better than that.

Reactions: axne1 and crzycrkr

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I think each carrier gets great phones, but obviously not every month. More like every six months or so. Last Nov/Dec Verizon was on a roll, they got the HTC Rezound...Motorola Razr...Samsung Galaxy Nexus, at that time they were the top phones from each manufacturer.

Now ATT and Sprint are next with the hot phones in the HTC One X and EVO 4G LTE...

Samsung still needs to announce their flagship Galaxy S3, I would be shocked if Verizon does not get one.

And then Motorola will have their flagship Android 4 ICS phone, and those usually come to Verizon, which should come out late Spring / early Summer.

And of course the iPhone-next.

I think Verizon will have a great summer release of phones, hopefully the Galaxy S3, and Motorola ICS phone, and maybe a HTC One X variant

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Why would you switch carriers over a phone. Wait a bit and VZW will have a phone better than the Evo 4G, then after that some other carrier will have a phone better than that.

Verizon may have a phone better than the EVO4GLTE this year but it will be several months AFTER every other carrier has had it and probably cost an extra $100 at launch. And it doesn't matter if the phone is new on Verizon the tech aspect of the device will be old and late to the game... and this has ALWAYS been Verizon's problem with hardware.

Everyone assumes that Verizon has the best coverage EVERYWHERE. That is not always true. If networks are comparable, why STAY with a particular carrier? Go for the hardware YOU want to live with for 2 years even if it means going with Sprint or AT&T. The network doesn't matter too much if another carrier with comparable coverage in your area (always) has better phones available. Fact is Verizon's selection has sucked for almost a year now. Any phone currently from Verizon can be bested in one way or another from phones on other carriers (hence why their selection sucks). Of course most of what everyone is saying in this thread is subjective, me included. However, the last thing anyone should do is stick with Verizon just because it *is* Verizon. Do some research and spend your hard-earned money on what YOU will enjoy in your pocket for two years.

I tried AT&T and was more impressed with their selection, coverage, and willingness to treat me better than Verizon ever did. I just couldn't afford two bills right now and my service on my wife's line on Verizon isn't up for another year. But after this year, I am 95% sure I will become an AT&T customer and I am not worried about phone selection when this happens. I KNOW AT&T will have a wonderful selection next year that will surpass Verizon's selection. They have for about 2 years in a row now and it is because of the GSM network they operate.

Do research.

Don't be afraid of change.

Ultimately, be happy with your purchase.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it boils down to "coverage and network VS. hardware."

With quad-core processors announced and the new S4 chips, EVERY phone currently on Verizon is last-year tech. While some like the Rezound are very good spec'd phones, they are showing their age on paper. For many with an upgrade, they are not worth wasting 24 months on at this point in the new year.

For many, Verizon has the best coverage and network, so almost *any* mid-range device will suit their needs because the better network is greater than having the best (or up-to-date for that matter) phone.
Verizon knows this. They are not out to gain a larger customer base like Sprint, T-mobile, or even AT&T is. They know having a great infrastructure means current customers will tolerate low to mid-ranged devices. They are cheaper and actually net a higher profit margin for Verizon.

If you want an up-to-date slab of hardware, Verizon is almost always going to disappoint.

So, if you can live without their network, you should most certainly consider another carrier like AT&T or Sprint. AT&T almost always has the best hardware currently available.

Wow, this is so backwards. The og droid, the incredible, the rezound, razr/maxx, x..... These were all top shelf devices when released. Its only because some people are so geeked out on tech specs that they declare anything more than a few months old to be "last years technology." it wasn't so long ago people were asking why Verizon was getting all the latest and greatest android phones. That's one reason iphone people hate android - they aren't made to feel their new phone is obsolete in 3 months and have 21 long months ahead with last years technology.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow, this is so backwards. The og droid, the incredible, the rezound, razr/maxx, x..... These were all top shelf devices when released. Its only because some people are so geeked out on tech specs that they declare anything more than a few months old to be "last years technology." it wasn't so long ago people were asking why Verizon was getting all the latest and greatest android phones. That's one reason iphone people hate android - they aren't made to feel their new phone is obsolete in 3 months and have 21 long months ahead with last years technology.

Preach.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

k6tcher

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow, this is so backwards.
Absolutely not. I said, "EVERY phone currently on Verizon is last-year tech." Tell me how that is backwards. Tegra quad-core chips, the S4, and the new Exynos quad chips were in development last year. The S4 and Tegra processors were in development at least since last spring. Instead of pacing phone releases, Verizon launched The Galaxy Nexus, Droid 4, Droid Razr, Razr Maxx, LG Spectrum, LG Lucid, Illusion, Rezound, all within 4 months using dual-core processors and many with cheap screens and cameras. Now granted many of these phones were launched when access to proper components was impossible to achieve. However instead of shoving 8 Android phones in 4 months down Verizon customer's throats, they could have paced their launches out better with improved components such as screens and processors. It seems like they were purposely trying to get as many phones out with last year's specifications as fast as possible before the wave of new "current-tech" phones hit the market. The first dual-core phone was released in January 2011 and surprise, surprise, it wasn't on Verizon. Verizon didn't get "current" with dual-core phones until the end of May, 2011 with the X2. That was 4 months later. What were they doing for 4 months? Seeing if dual-core phones were a fad? Verizon has a history of being last with new tech in phones. So how is it backwards that every phone on Verizon is last year's tech or that if Verizon's current lineup is so disappointing from a tech perspective some are thinking of switching networks?
The og droid, the incredible, the rezound, razr/maxx, x..... These were all top shelf devices when released. Its only because some people are so geeked out on tech specs that they declare anything more than a few months old to be "last years technology."
Dual core phones ARE last year's tech. And I fail to see how the Droid 1 and Incredible 1 are relevant to my point.
Come on. Don't you want Verizon to get on the ball and bring some real hardware to the table worth $300 and 24 months of your life?
it wasn't so long ago people were asking why Verizon was getting all the latest and greatest android phones.
No. Not all people were asking this. I was wondering why they were pushing so many phones in such a short time that were based on 2010 developed processors. You do know dual core processors were developed in 2010, right?
That's one reason iphone people hate android - they aren't made to feel their new phone is obsolete in 3 months and have 21 long months ahead with last years technology.
Okay then. iPhone people do not obsess over new tech like a few of us Android users do. We are the minority in both realms of iPhone and Android users.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely not. I said, "EVERY phone currently on Verizon is last-year tech." Tell me how that is backwards. Tegra quad-core chips, the S4, and the new Exynos quad chips were in development last year. The S4 and Tegra processors were in development at least since last spring. Instead of pacing phone releases, Verizon launched The Galaxy Nexus, Droid 4, Droid Razr, Razr Maxx, LG Spectrum, LG Lucid, Illusion, Rezound, all within 4 months using dual-core processors and many with cheap screens and cameras. Now granted many of these phones were launched when access to proper components was impossible to achieve. However instead of shoving 8 Android phones in 4 months down Verizon customer's throats, they could have paced their launches out better with improved components such as screens and processors. It seems like they were purposely trying to get as many phones out with last year's specifications as fast as possible before the wave of new "current-tech" phones hit the market. The first dual-core phone was released in January 2011 and surprise, surprise, it wasn't on Verizon. Verizon didn't get "current" with dual-core phones until the end of May, 2011 with the X2. That was 4 months later. What were they doing for 4 months? Seeing if dual-core phones were a fad? Verizon has a history of being last with new tech in phones. So how is it backwards that every phone on Verizon is last year's tech or that if Verizon's current lineup is so disappointing from a tech perspective some are thinking of switching networks?

Dual core phones ARE last year's tech. And I fail to see how the Droid 1 and Incredible 1 are relevant to my point.
Come on. Don't you want Verizon to get on the ball and bring some real hardware to the table worth $300 and 24 months of your life?

No. Not all people were asking this. I was wondering why they were pushing so many phones in such a short time that were based on 2010 developed processors. You do know dual core processors were developed in 2010, right?

Okay then. iPhone people do not obsess over new tech like a few of us Android users do. We are the minority in both realms of iPhone and Android users.

Well in that case the tegra 3 and s4 are old tech since clearly tegra 4 is in development along with other newer processors. Going by your logic you will never upgrade. Keep sitting on those upgrades since nothing is good enough for you:confused::confused:
Plus the rezound was first phone in US with HD screen, I guess they skimped out on those components in that screen. Same with the spectrum and nexus screens.....