Google planning Android 5.0 Nexus Devices

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I hope this is true. Then it gives users a choice to pick their favorite manufacturer with a pure android device rather than the one google picks.

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I see this bringing more cutting edge specs to the Nexus program as well. OEMs will want to differentiate their devices so developers adopt their Nexus.

Exciting..!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I hope there are more CDMA Nexus devices in the Nexus line.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope there are more CDMA Nexus devices in the Nexus line.

I do too! Well at least Nexus for Verizon. I love my Droid Bionic, but waiting for Motorola to update the device really sucks!

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
If true, it's a great idea. At least folks will finally have an opportunity to try a pure google device with the mfg they like.

Salacon

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
This would be amazingly fantastic if true, though I have even more doubts that it's true when it comes to a CDMA and LTE compatible phone (for Verizon) ending up being released this way since licensing on CDMA and LTE is an issue with updates already.

However, I can say that if WiFi only tablets are offered this way, I would be very tempted to own my first tablet by buying a Google supported one.

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
HTC is easily my favorite Android hardware manufacturer. I simply can't imagine a device that combines their penchant for excellent hardware design and pure Android...that sounds awesome! I do, however, also like their Sense a lot.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
They should make it for all US carriers. Gluck to apple trying to stop Google this time around. It's one thing to step on the little guys but no way they will bully Google. So this is good news.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
According to the actual WSJ article, there's not a whole lot to go with. This may only mean that more carriers get early access to the next Android version instead of the current one at a time favorite manufacturer. The other new part is Google selling devices directly, maybe providing front-line support and warranty to the manufacturers that currently rely on carriers. There's also the advantage of older generation devices going for less as new ones are introduced so it's more affordable to buy a phone without subsidy (i.e. Galaxy Nexus dropping to $200 as new devices are priced at $300, $400, $500+.

Future LTE may unify the current GSM/CDMA split, not all carriers will use the same LTE frequency (like GSM currently), but it would still be easier to put a single chip supporting LTE just with different frequencies (quad-band or penta-band LTE), than separate GSM & CDMA chips.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
According to the actual WSJ article, there's not a whole lot to go with. This may only mean that more carriers get early access to the next Android version instead of the current one at a time favorite manufacturer. The other new part is Google selling devices directly, maybe providing front-line support and warranty to the manufacturers that currently rely on carriers. There's also the advantage of older generation devices going for less as new ones are introduced so it's more affordable to buy a phone without subsidy (i.e. Galaxy Nexus dropping to $200 as new devices are priced at $300, $400, $500+.

Future LTE may unify the current GSM/CDMA split, not all carriers will use the same LTE frequency (like GSM currently), but it would still be easier to put a single chip supporting LTE just with different frequencies (quad-band or penta-band LTE), than separate GSM & CDMA chips.

I would really hope old devices stay in the Play store at cheaper prices. Imagine how many people would have jumped at a GSM Nexus S at $250-$300, no contract.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I like the idea of multiple Nexus devices, but I'm wondering how this would work. Google has issues keeping the few Nexus devices they have now on the same update path, so how can we trust Google to get updates out timely to multiple Nexus devices with various configurations to different regions. I'm just concerned that it's only going to be a half-ass solution. Right now there's two complaints most of us have for Android devices today: slow updates, and skins. We'll have stock Android, but might still not be guaranteed timely updates.

Wicell

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Is it bad that the part of the title that drew me into this thread is the "Android 5.0" part?
I honestly don't see Google giving Jelly Bean the 5.0 designation. Android only receives a higher first number when it is revamped in multiple ways, I don't see very much that Jelly Bean could really update.

Notice how devices being released sith ICS all market that they have "Android 4.0" but thereis no ".x" at the end to note that it's the start of ICS? If they suddenly bump Android up to 5.0 people, especially the average consumer that usually just thinks the first number is really important is gonna see that; 1) A brand new 4.0(.x) device they just bought wasa waste of their money because it's not up to date, and 2) Android must be unstable if it updates so much.

I don't see Google making Android or it's OS devices seen too rapid (OEMs do that enough), so I see Jelly Bean as being "Android 4.1(.x)." Probably not the right thread to post this, but the "5.0" drew me in.:p

lkbig

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I am all for it. However, I have a feeling that these will all be non Verizon devices due to the fiasco with the Galaxy Nexus. :(:mad: I hate Verizon. I wish they would stop being such dorks about everything.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Is it bad that the part of the title that drew me into this thread is the "Android 5.0" part?
I honestly don't see Google giving Jelly Bean the 5.0 designation. Android only receives a higher first number when it is revamped in multiple ways, I don't see very much that Jelly Bean could really update.

Notice how devices being released sith ICS all market that they have "Android 4.0" but thereis no ".x" at the end to note that it's the start of ICS? If they suddenly bump Android up to 5.0 people, especially the average consumer that usually just thinks the first number is really important is gonna see that; 1) A brand new 4.0(.x) device they just bought wasa waste of their money because it's not up to date, and 2) Android must be unstable if it updates so much.

I don't see Google making Android or it's OS devices seen too rapid (OEMs do that enough), so I see Jelly Bean as being "Android 4.1(.x)." Probably not the right thread to post this, but the "5.0" drew me in.:p

Does not seem to be the case anymore. Google has switched to yearly updates and bumping the version number by 1.X. So chances are it'll be 5.0. They're just trying to keep it simple.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech