The Future of Smartphones

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
1. Pads & tablets will become one with smartphones (Galaxy Note anybody?).
2. Our "handheld computers" will hold all vital information about us whether it be financial, medical, private, relationships. To have somebody's handheld computer will be the same as holding their whole life in your hand.
3. They will control every electronic in our lives. They will be our garage door opener, car keys, TV remote, thermostat, stereo controller.
4. I think the eventual sweet spot for screen size will be 4.8"-6".
5. While at home you will be able to sync a keyboard, monitor, and mouse to your handheld computer and use it just like a old school desktop for word processing, video editing, and photoshop.
6. They will completely replace point and shoot cameras and camcorders.
7. the fact that it is a phone will take a back seat to all the features and capabilities.
8. The will replace cable receivers. All you do is wirelessly stream or HDMI out from your handheld computer to the TV.
Connectivity to automobiles as well. The biggest thing needed is how to seem it all together and simplify it to the end user. Simplicity leads to widespread adoption and sales.

CTREV21

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Has to be a flexible scroll like screen. Picture two pen like tubes that pull apart for screen sizes up to seven inches. Need to make a call, everything voice interactive. Remember movie red planet.

Sent from my sorry ass EVO 3D

rpk717

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
A diopter lens adjustment for the screen so I can use the phone without reading glasses. Also a brighter screen for better viewing in sunlight.

FilthyfnJ24

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
i like the kinect-style idea. i think that it is very likely, but a long ways away.

how about a touch screen phone that uses an OLED?

you could wear it as an armband/bracelet, and have all of the functions that you have with a smartphone now. THAT to me is what i think will take over the market in a few years.

Have you seen the Nokia Morph concept video from a few years back? I think this would be awesome. That and a battery technology that recharges itself while it's not in use. Think about how awesome a self sustaining battery would be...on anything! Like you use your phone and deplete your battery like normal but instead of scrambling for an outlet when it runs low simply set it on a table or in your pocket for a few minutes and wallah! Fully charged.

Joet

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The approximate form we have now won't change much. A Slab about 5-ish inches. Think water proof, drop proof and security proof, meaning iris or DNA, fingerprint or something nearly hacker proof, because you're right, so much of our personal lives will be linked to the phone.

It will be about much longer battery life, measured in days or weeks.

Biggest innovation? Full conversational voice control of all apps, email, calendar as well as interactive conversations with an AI (Artificial Intelligence) - like phone. We will be giving our phones names, asking them to read us the news, doing nuanced information searches, assembling documents with the AI - like phone, not with the 1st generation voice search/command toys we use now on both Android & iOS, but a real tool for real control of the device and its apps. Imagine a really powerful conversational assistant that is actually useful.

Imagine this: you hear an ad from a politician (its likely slanted to one side or the other) You immediately query your AI to fact check and see if the tool running for office is worth your vote. Or, you have your AI check to see what local store has a stock of your favorite liquor so you don't waste time running around NOT finding that vintage Port wine you thought they had...

Last: a bluetooth designer/company. Can we please create a bluetooth headset that doesn't make everyone look like a tool? For women a line that looks like great jewelry and for stiffs like me a flesh colored inset like a hearing aid, effectively invisible??

My 2?'s worth.

Reactions: icewater106

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised no one mentioned Google glasses. This is clearly the future of technology.
smartphones are bulky and fragile devices, require use of hands. Smart glasses and later smart contact lenses is the future of mobile technology completely hands free. And this future is almost around the corner. Give it another 3 years.... (well the glasses anyway, lenses will take a bit longer:))

briankurtz79

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The wallet will be totally replaced by the smartphone. NFC will become the norm for payments, ID's, etc...

And like someone else pointed out, no more tablets or computers with dedicated chips - everything will run off the processing power of your "device".
Nfc will never completely take over payments until someone figures out how to make smart phones self sufficient. Solar panels in the led screen? Wireless charging? Not sitting it on a pad but some type of tech with a similar range to wifi. Automatically start charging when your in your house, office, or car. now that would be something.

matthew2109

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The way we are adapting with our Superphones, the phone companies are adapting too. They already have implemented tiered data plans and what not. You really cant do much with only 2 gigs of data. The days of unlimited will come to an end soon and you can only do so much that doesnt rely on data connection. Sorry for being a debbie downer lol

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised no one mentioned Google glasses. This is clearly the future of technology.
smartphones are bulky and fragile devices, require use of hands. Smart glasses and later smart contact lenses is the future of mobile technology completely hands free. And this future is almost around the corner. Give it another 3 years.... (well the glasses anyway, lenses will take a bit longer:))

Cranial implants. Projected display onto the retina. Subvocalized microphones.

benga

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
In my imagination, future generations will have longer fingers, super adaptive Iris, and better ears, then again it could be exactly opposite. Mother nature can be a B.

Strap ur phone to your heart for sustained charging, or to ur third leg for quick charges ... Didn't scientists already power gadgets with animals?

Anyway, wall sockets will be a thing of the past and phones will have constant 100% charges within the next century inside buildings that adopt the tesla-esque technology... That or batteries will be made from atomic energy or better, acting like 'LTE' for batteries. Every charge would extend its capacity and make it hold more charge basically having an uncapped Mhz spec.

By 'Android Yummys' version 25.0.1, phones would be integrated into hats. You would basically have a visor-like or drop down glass/plastic screen that not only darkens to block out reflective lights but is a phone screen (imagine google glass or Iron Man HUD but sexier/sleeker/minimal). No need to touch the screen, because a ring on ur finger allows for pointy interactions and there's voice (imagine I Robot's V. I. K. I. Or Scarlet Johnson) A mic is attached to the sides for surround sound. Of course you have flash light in the usual spot that doubles as a IMAX 3D or 36DD experience with 4k+ resolution... It's energized by lightning, sunlight, heart,and walls, so u never juice out. Gorilla glass is merged with Atamantium glass by then. It's only exclusive to sprint and HTC for 2 yrs due to the killer time travel feature.

Hopefully by the time 'android M&M' rolls out, updates will be better for all devices and no longer be behind fruit OS. And by the time Android Zucchini (insert tasty z deserts here) rolls out, iOS = palm...

... Btw enjoy ur last phone upgrade and live like ur heading toward the Mayans in the sun.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I remember back in 2000 a got a Sony CD player. This was before the Ipod had really cought on. This Sony player was, to me, the culmination of every CD player that proceeded it. It had the longest skip prevention technology. It had great battery life. It had a toggle on the head set cord for controlling your music. All of this in a package that was only slightly larger than the CD it was playing. I remember saying, "this is it". It cant get any smaller, ,cooler or better. We had reached the end of the portable CD player advancement.

I dont think we are there yet with Smart phones. I am still looking for a "butless" phone.

Its great "but" the battery sucks
Its great "but" the screen it too big
Its great "but" I hate the UI
Its great "but" its running an outdated OS
Its great "but" its not thin enough

The next evolution of technology will be something totally obvious but totally suprising. Something that re-invents something we already know. Very similar to what the Iphone did. Im totally not sold on voice interaction. I feel like a tool talking to my phone. I used Siri the day I got the 4S and never used it again. Glasses sound cool, but again, I think its a gimmick. Our smartphones will continue to integrate into our lives slowly. I dont know if there is a new product out there capable of redefining the smartphone.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Pomegranate | NS08 :p

Kidding aside, I see the future being a combination of Manfred Manx's glasses in Charles Stross' book Accelerando and the "belt valet" in David Marusek's short story "Getting to Know You" Augmented reality seamlessly integrated with your day-to-day life assisting in every way possible from communication to data analysis.

In the more near future I'd like the phone broken in two. I want something like a mifi access point for whatever carrier I choose and a wifi/bluetooth only handset that I have complete control of that can make call and do everything else. If I want a new carrier, I just get a new mifi for the new carrier. If I want to upgrade the handset the carrier doesn't even have to know.

mtmerrick

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My two cents: we're reaching a technological plateau.
We're quickly approaching the atomic barrier: chips can't get much smaller, and quantum or optical CPUs aren't anywhere near market. The new standard is 720p displays: we're very close to every new device having a retina display. Even a professional photographer doesn't need more than, say, a 12 Megapixel camera.
What enhancements are left?

Well, for one I would like to see more work done into graphene chipsets: they seem like the best choice to one-up silicon to me. We need to work more on improving graphics power and fitting more ram into these devices: all going to be pretty easy. A retina non-pentile amoled screen is about the pinnacle of screen tech, but I think autosteroscopic 3d has potential to be more than a gimmick. True holographic devices are a long way off. I personally think the current 8 megapixel standard for phones should be kept, with all enhancements to the camera going towards picture quality: I still sometimes use my point&shoot, which is 8 mp, and my phone has an 8 mp camera. There is, IMHO, no excuse for my smartphone to not have a better quality camera than my old $75 shooter.

After that, I would also like to see phones begin to adopt MicroUSB3.0. Faster transfer speeds make everyone happy, but the big deal here is that 3.0 can transfer a lot more power than our aging 2.0 standard - enough so that there can start to be a standardized charging cable for tablets as well. Only thing better than our 3000MaH batteries would be being able to charge them to capacity in a third of the time.
Wifi AC will not come to android quickly enough. Also, android beam needs to be pushed hard. Jellybean and the JB nexi should include wifi AC and when touched create a wifi AC adhoc connection: near instantaneous transfer of anything.
Inductive charging should become the standard for all androids, and a true charge-in-your-pocket wireless charging method should be one of R&D's main goals. Also, I want to see the automakers accept the new inductive charging standard and make cordless charging a no-brainer. Who here DOESN'T put there phone in the cup holder? It'd be perfect.
Battery tech is going along at a nice pace. I think that we can see a nice, slim, 4000MaH phone in all our near futures.

On the software side, all I want to see in JB is moto's new webtop making it to the ASOP and systemwide native support for quad core software threading

In a slightly further projection, I see a combination of project glass and project majel really changing things. But I like to keep my requests reasonable :p

Last edited:

Wontfinishlast

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of people are forgetting the flexible thin screens that are in development now. How about a smartphone that flips open into a tablet but fits nicely in your pocket? I think that'd be pretty cool.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Pomegranate | NS08 :p

Kidding aside, I see the future being a combination of Manfred Manx's glasses in Charles Stross' book Accelerando and the "belt valet" in David Marusek's short story "Getting to Know You" Augmented reality seamlessly integrated with your day-to-day life assisting in every way possible from communication to data analysis.

In the more near future I'd like the phone broken in two. I want something like a mifi access point for whatever carrier I choose and a wifi/bluetooth only handset that I have complete control of that can make call and do everything else. If I want a new carrier, I just get a new mifi for the new carrier. If I want to upgrade the handset the carrier doesn't even have to know.
+1 on both of these concepts. I'd like to see us get away from the current notion of a single device containing the display, entry, power, audio, cameras and radios in the same box, because the multiple functions create a set of conflicting form factors (overall small and light is incompatible with a big screen and beefy battery, for example). Instead, give me a wearable communications and computing system made up of best-of-breed components for the various tasks: a heads-up display to eliminate posture issues, optically projected to infinity to eliminate close-focus problems, and equipped with a forward-facing camera to give me augmented reality (maybe removable to enable pointing at my face during video calls), a beefy power/radio/CPU unit that can clip on to a belt and stay there, a headset that fits in my ear and gets its voice input through the Eustachian tubes to eliminate ambient sound interference, all combined with a software input interface that seamlessly integrates voice, gesture and the heads-up display. That's at least three separate components, but I'd never have to touch any of them once they were in place.

Jesslynh

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of people are forgetting the flexible thin screens that are in development now. How about a smartphone that flips open into a tablet but fits nicely in your pocket? I think that'd be pretty cool.

Not only the flexible screens, but the transparent ones as well.

Sent from Tapatalk 2 using my Samsung GTab 8.9

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
+1 on both of these concepts. I'd like to see us get away from the current notion of a single device containing the display, entry, power, audio, cameras and radios in the same box, because the multiple functions create a set of conflicting form factors (overall small and light is incompatible with a big screen and beefy battery, for example). Instead, give me a wearable communications and computing system made up of best-of-breed components for the various tasks: a heads-up display to eliminate posture issues, optically projected to infinity to eliminate close-focus problems, and equipped with a forward-facing camera to give me augmented reality (maybe removable to enable pointing at my face during video calls), a beefy power/radio/CPU unit that can clip on to a belt and stay there, a headset that fits in my ear and gets its voice input through the Eustachian tubes to eliminate ambient sound interference, all combined with a software input interface that seamlessly integrates voice, gesture and the heads-up display. That's at least three separate components, but I'd never have to touch any of them once they were in place.

I'm sorry, the first thing I thought of when I read this was "Hmm... so you want to be a Borg?" (yes, this is an attempt at humour. No flames please... unless you prefer an android like Data :p)

While I do understand where you're going with this... I think a LOT of people would have serious issues with this. Personally (and this is just for me, not claiming to speak for anyone except the guy typing this) a smartphone is a toy for me. Its fun to play with and root and play games, its great for multimedia, and passing time. Do I NEED it for work or for my personal life? No, I could get by with a feature phone. Wouldn't like it and would be bored.... but I could. I know there are people who need a smartphone like they need to breathe.... they just depend on it that much (and for them, what you are envisioning could be an awesome idea)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781