Will the 2012 Google Nexus phone(s) out-spec the Galaxy S3?

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I know the focus of the Nexus brand is more Android software than cutting edge hardware. Any chance this changes later this year and the Nexus phone/phones come with better hardware specs than the GS3?

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If the rumors are true there will be multiple nexus devices this year. I hope it is because I'm not a Samsung fan and really want to see a Motorola version. I think the Samsung version will probably beright on par with the sgs III. I don't think they would develop a better for phone than their own flagship device. Last year a lot people like the sgs II design over the galaxy nexus.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I sure hope so lol.

It will be incrementally better just like the s3 is incrementally better than the phones from last winter

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not buying the "Multiple Nexus" devices, but I really hope I'm wrong. I think Nexus 2012 will be either HTC or Samsung with an incremental bump over the GNex and probably a Krait processor. I think we're still a year off from a Googorola Nexus, but if today's news is any indication the direction Google is trying to take Motorola, it should be a world-beater. That said, this is all just pure speculation on my part, and Iam by no means an insider.

Ardrid

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
If someone other than Samsung gets the design, yes. We all saw how the Galaxy Nexus debacle turned out. Samsung neutered the hardware because they were more interested in selling their own flagship phone, namely the Galaxy SII. I fully expect the same to be done again with respect to the Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note 2 should Samsung get the Nexus a 3rd time.

ALUOp

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I really hope they don't move away from Samsung, at least not to Motorola, whose phones are horrible. Ugly as hell. If they move, better move to Sony.
It's not impossible for the new Nexus to have a better spec, or at least in some areas.
Last year, Nexus got the biggest and highest resolution screen Samsung had ever had, better than the then flag ship S2.
Best case for me is they stay with Samsung and start with the $350 price right away.

jmb133

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I really hope they don't move away from Samsung, at least not to Motorola, whose phones are horrible. Ugly as hell. If they move, better move to Sony.
It's not impossible for the new Nexus to have a better spec, or at least in some areas.
Last year, Nexus got the biggest and highest resolution screen Samsung had ever had, better than the then flag ship S2.
Best case for me is they stay with Samsung and start with the $350 price right away.

Before Google bought Motorola, and even up through the past few weeks with Google saying they'll let Motorola run independently, I would've agreed with you. With the news today that they are laying off 20% of Motorola staff to focus on fewer, but better phones, I actually might give Motorola another chance.

spoggle

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I think the point of the Nexus line so far is two-fold: to show case the latest technology (which may or may not include the fastest processors or GPUs) and to provide the latest revision of Android.

Google may change tactics and go for high-end phones, but I think that they'll keep these ideas somewhere in the DNA of Nexus devices.

jmorse

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd prefer it be made by HTC. I am thinking there will be one phone. It was rumored that there would be 5 nexus DEVICES, not phones.

1. Phone
2. 7" tablet
3. 10" tablet
4. Some nexus google TV?
5. Nexus Q (discontinued)

That is my thought anyway.

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Nexus devices never top in specs that always. Plus no device in 2012 will be better than the current Samsung Galaxy S3. Software wise the Galaxy S3 is the BEST SMARTPHONE ON THE MARKET PERIOD. Not even the Nexus experience is better than the Galaxy S3.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
If someone other than Samsung gets the design, yes. We all saw how the Galaxy Nexus debacle turned out. Samsung neutered the hardware because they were more interested in selling their own flagship phone, namely the Galaxy SII. I fully expect the same to be done again with respect to the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 should Samsung get the Nexus a 3rd time.

I have to disagree. The Nexus line has never been about cutting-edge hardware. It's always 'higher' end, but the point of the device is to provide a stable base for devs to program off of. The Nexus line never "pushes the limits" of what is available spec wise - it's just not what it's there for. It will probably be a slight increase from the SIII, but nothing major.

Zach_AC

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I would personally like to see an Asus phone with the Nexus brand name as the high end choice if they are doing multiple devices (like The 7 and Asus PadFone had a baby).
Have Jellybean, an S4, maybe a 15mp camera (or around there) and 2mp front camera, a 5" full 1080p HD screen, removable 2500mah battery, 32gb internal with a micro slot, 4g lte, 2gb RAM (just for s and giggles).

Just my wishlist but I doubt we'll see anything like it. Probably a lot lower-spec'd then this.

I'd trade in my EVO 4G LTE for that though...

Errola0

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
If someone other than Samsung gets the design, yes. We all saw how the Galaxy Nexus debacle turned out. Samsung neutered the hardware because they were more interested in selling their own flagship phone, namely the Galaxy SII. I fully expect the same to be done again with respect to the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 should Samsung get the Nexus a 3rd time.

I always see people say this but really, what evidence is there that Samsung watered down the Nexus? It just doesn't even make logical sense to me.

The Galaxy Nexus was released using Samsung's best screen technology, and one of their most ergonomic and interesting designs to date. The hardware was completely in line with everything else released at the time.

What phone had hardware that was somehow substantially better then the Galaxy Nexus when it was released? There weren't any.

There are two things the Galaxy SII's hardware did "better" then the Nexus: One of them was the Exynos GPU performed a bit better then the OMAP, but remember Google picks the chips, not Samsung and they wanted OMAP and the chip is more than comparable. The other thing the Galaxy SII had on the Nexus was arguably the camera but do you really think Samsung gimp'd a camera to sale Galaxy SII's? I'm more inclined to believe it has to do with them getting 0 shutter lag at that point. And yes we now are getting phones with 0 shutter lag and better cameras but those were released months after the Galaxy Nexus.

If the Galaxy Nexus is released November-ish there is every reason to believe it will slightly outspec the Galaxy SIII and have hardware more than comparable to everything else on the market. Whether it is made by Samsung, LG, Motorola, or HTC.

tl;dr It's paranoid to think the Nexus was gimp'd just to sale the SII. Yes, it will have hardware at least slightly better, but most importantly will be in line with all the other high end phones released at the time of it's release.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude