What do you want in Kit Kak?(2013)

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: What do you want in Key Lime Pie?

Technically, couldn't OEMs do this already?
Yes and that is a large portion of why it is a pipe dream.

Google could however set the framework for it and make it very easy for them to do. That would at least take away the "its too much work" excuse and could potentially make only one set of drivers for 2 firmwares.

Still though if they manufacturers wanted to do this they could all ready, they just have no desire or incentives for the extra work.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Yes and that is a large portion of why it is a pipe dream.

Google could however set the framework for it and make it very easy for them to do. That would at least take away the "its too much work" excuse and could potentially make only one set of drivers for 2 firmwares.

Still though if they manufacturers wanted to do this they could all ready, they just have no desire or incentives for the extra work.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Or they have no desire to make it easy to remove their differentiation.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Or they have no desire to make it easy to remove their differentiation.

which is why they dont use stock android in the first place.

If google did this, it would more than likely not even be used by the manufactures. It could however possible make porting software much easier for devs and the ppl that would actually know it was there.

Once again it is a pipe dream. Its not going to happen...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

There are a lot of 3rd party apps that can be resized and run side by side (browsers, calculators, etc). I don't really think it's something that needs to be built in to the OS and should be left to touchwiz, IMO.

I have Nexus 7 and none of the apps are resizable.
If it's that easy (just adding a button to dock on right or left), then why don't you want to have it in a Nexus device?
I don't want to buy a non Nexus device to enjoy this feature. I don't have a lot of apps and most of the apps I use are Google or most downloaded (usually means the best)... Non are resizable. IMO all Google APS should be for the next OS

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If it's that easy (just adding a button to dock on right or left), then why don't you want to have it in a Nexus device?
I don't want to buy a non Nexus device to enjoy this feature. I don't have a lot of apps and most of the apps I use are Google or most downloaded (usually means the best)... Non are resizable. IMO all Google APS should be for the next OS

Multi-window mode is part of TouchWiz.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

jamontoast1291

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

I don't think you understand what 3rd party means.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

Multi-window mode is part of TouchWiz.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Yea? And your point? I understand that and I want this particular feature to be part of the Nexus experience. Why argue for the sake of arguing?

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

I don't think you understand what 3rd party means.

I just don't get it.... why are some people here just for the sake of arguing?

Obviously I understand what 3rd party is. That's why I said "most of the apps I use are Google or most downloaded (usually means the best)".
Here's a perfect example:
I day trade very frequently (at least 3 times per week) and if I don't trade, I just follow the market and a live chat room in the PalTalk app. As a result, I have to constantly switch back and forth between my Ameritrade app and the PalTalk app. I need to have them side by side. There are no other 3rd party apps for this situation. And even if there were, I'm tied to Ameritrade and PalTalk (where I collaborate with specific people).

If KLP encouraged the side-by-side feature, most of the top apps would eventually implement it just as they implemented the Halo GUI.

Not gonna respond anymore if you will just try to disprove what I said.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I just don't get it.... why are some people here just for the sake of arguing?

Obviously I understand what 3rd party is. That's why I said "most of the apps I use are Google or most downloaded (usually means the best)".
Here's a perfect example:
I day trade very frequently (at least 3 times per week) and if I don't trade, I just follow the market and a live chat room in the PalTalk app. As a result, I have to constantly switch back and forth between my Ameritrade app and the PalTalk app. I need to have them side by side. There are no other 3rd party apps for this situation. And even if there were, I'm tied to Ameritrade and PalTalk (where I collaborate with specific people).

If KLP encouraged the side-by-side feature, most of the top apps would eventually implement it just as they implemented the Halo GUI.

Not gonna respond anymore if you will just try to disprove what I said.

So you're saying app developers would make the api implementations necessary for multi-window operation. Kinda like how they should be moving app data to SD to reduce space used by apps on /data lmfao we see how many app Devs have implemented that :rolleyes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

So you're saying app developers would make the api implementations necessary for multi-window operation. Kinda like how they should be moving app data to SD to reduce space used by apps on /data lmfao we see how many app Devs have implemented that :rolleyes:

You can LMFAO all you want. Looks like you fall into the same category of people who just argue for the sake of it.
I personally don't know what the big deal is about moving apps to SD. I certainly never even checked what apps I can/can't move and I bet most don't care. Perhaps this is why it wasn't implemented as wide as you wanted.

Having side-by-side windows is a big deal. It essentially puts one OS on top of the other. One app on top of the other. So yeah, I'm sure the most popular apps would implement it if KLP "paves the way".

I just don't understand why you don't think this would be a good feature. You don't want to use it, don't

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I never said it wasn't a cool feature but you're far overplaying it with no evidence to back it up.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

I didn't look at all 7 pages, but am I the only one that wants the most basic of all things: the ability to undo? Please, PLEASE add this.

And change the time selector so that changing minutes only changes the minutes and not the hour as well. What a stupid function.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Does Samsung have a patent on their multi-view feature?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

If they don't I'd be amazed.

I'm sure we could develop an open source implementation of it but again it needs to be asked how important is that feature?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I want Key Lime Pie to be an Android 4.3 release just because bloggers are assuming "5.0".

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I'd like it to come instantly to all devices back to the G1 and shoot rainbows and unicorns.

More seriously, I'd like some of the more basic root functions to become part of the standard OS. 90% of the reason I have my Note rooted is just so Nova Launcher can have permission to manage widgets, have different quick settings, and Titanium Backup can back up my apps/data. Those are not things that should require root and "voiding your warranty". Themes would be great too.

diecastdonkey

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

I really want to see the quick settings expanded. First, They definitely need to be customizable. Also, it would be nice if all the settings could be handled in the status bar instead of opening the settings app. In example, instead of holding the wifi tile to see available networks in the settings, you could hold it and see all the networks in the status bar itself. This would also work well with bluetooth.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm sure we could develop an open source implementation of it but again it needs to be asked how important is that feature?

I wonder if Google feels a feature like Multiview encroaches on Chromebook functionality.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

By Multi view you mean cascade view and windows right? Windows exist in desktop and Apple have fullscreen mode on some apps in OS X, which looks like inverted solution but it practicly the same thing and they did that before samsung. Windows 8/RT got cascade windowing too and cascade windows managers existed in Linux long before that and they open sourced. So i don't think so :p

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

And my example of having a live chat next to a stock ticker (or any other app) is not sufficient? If not, are you telling me that you never use side-by-side capability on your desktop? Everyone uses side-by-side on the desktop computer. They use it because it's useful. Explain why it's not useful on a smart phone with big screen.

I also highly doubt it's patented. I mean, this would be equivalent to patenting side-by-side on the desktop. Windows tablets have it too. But who knows.....