The Next Nexus Phone: My Thoughts

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
First let me make a distinction between what I WANT and what I think is going to happen.

I WANT a Motorola Nexus in the worst possible way, the hardware build quality and radios make them one of my favorite OEM's, and what I use for my "Daily Driver" which I take everywhere (currently the Droid 4).

That being said I dont think we will see it this year for political reasons. The Google Motorola acquisition is still new and the ink hasn't even dried yet and Google needs to prove their previous statement that Motorola Mobility will be run separately and NOT get preferential treatment. That being said I think that a 5The Generation Nexus Phone from Motorola is a very strong possibility.

My second choice would be another HTC Nexus. I really wish i had gotten a Nexus One but Verizon never got one and I could not afford the price of the unlocked version at the time. The Droid Incredible (a variant on the nexus one) which I got at the time instead remains to this day one of my all time favorite Android phones. I loved the feel of it in my hand, the screen, the camera (and yes Sense, but a Nexus would of course not have that).

I would love to see another HTC Nexus but I have a feeling it is not in the cards at this time (and this has nothing to do with their financial problems or Beats Audio).

The web is all a twitter about the supposed Galaxy Nexus 2 by Samsung. Could Samsung's GT-i9260 Nexus 'Superior' be a spec-bumped Galaxy Nexus for 2012? [updated] | Android Central However, don't believe everything you read on the web, the slightly updated GNex variant that leaked the other day will NOT be the 4Th Generation Nexus Phone. It has an SD card slot in it and no amount of wining on the part of the blogger and forum community will change the fact that Google has phased out removable storage in the Nexus line, and is very unlikely to change that. If they had had a change of heart the Nexus 7 would have had a SD card slot. The phone in question (if it even exists and ever comes to market) will launch with TouchWiz on it and is clearly Samsung's attempt to save some of their R&D dollars.

I am personally not a huge fan if the Galaxy Nexus and would never have bought one of it hadn't' been a Nexus (crappy update timetable and crappy radios). Samsung has done 2 Nexus phones and it is time to give someone else a chance.

Last Spring JBQ from Google complemented Sony Mobile for all of the code they were contributing back to the AOSP.

Then last week JBQ opened a branch in AOSP for the Sony Xperia S (and let's face it the Xoom was the real original Nexus tablet, regardless of the actual name). Google launches 'experiment' to bring AOSP vanilla Android to Sony Xperia S | Android Central

And then the other day Sony comes out and says that they are in full support of this. Sony applauds 'experiment' to build AOSP for Xperia S | Android Central To me this points to one thing.

The next Nexus phone will be a Sony with similar (but updated) internals to the Xperia S.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Reactions: MERCDROID

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I can agree with this. As awesome as it would be to have a Motorola Nexus, Google is very afraid of alienating the OEMs, especially Samsung. I don't think Samsung will be in the cards this time. 1) Because they made the last 2 Nexus phones. 2) I doubt Google wants another Nexus phone caught in the crossfire of the Apple and Samsung beef, and banned for trivial reasons. 3) With Sony contributing so much to AOSP, it only makes sense to give them a shot. A Sony Nexus would catch everybody off guard, even with the recent news. I don't see an HTC Nexus in the works because of their financials. We'll find out soon enough :p

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I, too, would love to see a Motorola Nexus device as I've had great luck with their phones in the past. I liked my HTC Incredible when I owned it despite the horrible battery life, but judging from reviews of the One X it appears as though HTC has addressed those issues. Heck, I'm even stoked to see what WP8 brings to the table. The coming months are going to be a great time to be in the market for a new phone.

rayzup478

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I as well would like a moto nexus however I've always liked what Sony has brought to the table. Problem is.... If it is a Sony nexus, I don't think it would come to Verizon which I'm currently on. I hope that I'm wrong with that because I'm not a fan of samsung if they get another crack at it. I've read bad reviews on LG however the rumors and specs on a possible optimus nexus are very interesting. Thoughts on either Sony or LG having a nexus on Verizon? Even though truthfully..... Because of the galaxy nexus problems and all the other crap with Verizon, I don't think they'll have one :-(

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
IMHO any rumors of multiple Nexus phones are mostly wishful thinking on top of a misunderstood leak about multiple devices.

Verizon got the Xperia Play so I don't see why that would have any bearing on weather we get it or not.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
IMHO any rumors of multiple Nexus phones are mostly wishful thinking on top of a misunderstood leak about multiple devices.

Verizon got the Xperia Play so I don't see why that would have any bearing on weather we get it or not.
Yeah, the multiple Nexus devices rumor is already happening with the Nexus Q, the Nexus 7, and any Nexus phone we see later this year. I think it would be interesting to have a Nexus slab released by Sony and a Nexus slider released by Motorola. Im not really much of a rom flasher, but even Im looking forward whatever Nexus we get :cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463