A Nexus vs Multiple Nexuses

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Rumor Recap
We had rumors earlier this year that Samsung was geared t make the 4th Nexus. Them a couple month before Google
I/O, WSJ releases information that 5 Nexus smartphones coming out this year. Lastly this month we had a couple rumors adding either one nexus smartphone was coming out or multiple.

Theory
With all recent anouncents and official leaks on Sony,Motorola, and LG one thing has remained consistent in all three manufactures which is a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 and/or S4 Pro chip set. My theory wouldn't be very likely evidence Google could working with multiple manufactures if they are all working with Qualcomm for there flagship devices and Google has history with Qualcomm since the Nexus One. Google prefers to but tech that is tried and true for their Nexus line up. Then we have Samsung S3 has there flagship device running S4 along with HTC. Wouldn't this use of same processor be very benifical for Google if they were working with all five manufures on a Nexus plus would make it easier for every carrier to have a LTE version?

This good idea and would make things lot easier for Google but obviously they would just reproduce same flagship device from one manufacture with their vanilla OS. Google will still go in and redesign each manufactures flagship design to retain the style of manufacture but also add the look Google has for Nexus design. This process of making tj multiple nexus smart phones has many benefits and minor drawbacks.

Benefits
RD would be lot shorter because of use of same process chip across board and each manufacture is already familiar with chipset.

The chip set is a well know perform which Google lines with Nexus history of hardware used in the past.

The relativity and availability is wide with chip set which means cheaper build cost easier to that unlocked play stow price of $400.

Similar performance as far use of Android OS across board between the maufactures which makes devices relatively equal. This equality will give each the manufacture the fairness in competition in sales.

Drawbacks

Using the Qualcomm chipset S4 some would be dissapointed in not having another brand chip set or rather have the latest quad core processor instead of dualcore. (These people IMHO opinion are just specmonglers and misunderstand the point of nexus line in the first place. Not saying quad core nexus is not in realm of possibility just not this year IMO.)

These devices might not differentiate themselves enough from there sibling flagship device which might cause loss in sales in some fashion.

One last thing in theory Samsung could very well yes TI processor but again that follow in a professor Google is very familiar with so theory is still as follows.

I really hope this how Google follow through with idea coming out with multiple nexus smartphones. I see this idea very successful. Google can always can fall back on making just one but my theory makes possibility of making more than one so much more intriguing.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
S4 Pro would be nice tohave but I think it's too new for Google's taste. If the S4 has same appeal as the standard S4 then definitely next year will be one of quad cores most likely put in a 2013 Nexus in 2013. Then again you have all thw international devices running tegra processors soo I see gsm tegra unlocked nexus in the future from playstore and the mobile carriers running the S4 pro for lte.

johnp888

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
If the development cycle was anything like the last time the nexus of any flavor will have to be determined beginning of the year. So options for SoC I would guess have to be snapdragon s4, Intel medfield, and maybe exynos 4quad. I'm hoping for an outside shot from ti omap5 since they have been demoing it for a year so now it seems. The nexus will need a better camera in my opinion. October/November can't come early enough! Nothing but nexus for me from now on.

Update: oh I forgot about tegra 3 with icera would be interesting too :p

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think if we hear anything from Google it will be Nov because September already locked down by events. Then you have the Windows 8 launch and the possibility of another Apple conference which blocks Google for October as well. Early November to mid November is the window I see Google using. Whar unfortunate with learning about these mobile events and leaked devices actually being anpunce is the complete and utter silence from Google. All we have from Google is a candy cane easter egg to chew on until presumably Nov or December.

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I am going to stick with my idea of the 5 devices meaning

New nexus
Gnex
Nex 7
Nex 10 or maybe a chrome book not really android based but Google needs to sale them
Next Q ( with new improvements built in most likely gtv)

If Google decided to make 5 nexus phones would they even sale? Unless there going to get sold in carrier stores they won't. And im sure they wont to sale them on the play store only. And the dev community will folk to the best 1. Google has a good thing going with the 1 pure phone. Making 5 will just split the people who actually know what a nexus is. I didn't feel this way at 1st but I think this is a bad move. Of more carriers want aosp phones great. But Google needs to focus on 1.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am going to stick with my idea of the 5 devices meaning

New nexus
Gnex
Nex 7
Nex 10 or maybe a chrome book not really android based but Google needs to sale them
Next Q ( with new improvements built in most likely gtv)
I fear that idea you are thoughing of but agree that it is very much a possiblity. The only thing is can you really consider the GN as part of the five?

If Google decided to make 5 nexus phones would they even sale? Unless there going to get sold in carrier stores they won't. And im sure they wont to sale them on the play store only. And the dev community will folk to the best 1. Google has a good thing going with the 1 pure phone. Making 5 will just split the people who actually know what a nexus is. I didn't feel this way at 1st but I think this is a bad move. Of more carriers want aosp phones great. But Google needs to focus on 1.

I fell Dev would love possibility muliple nexus because they can work on code foe the five major mobile manufactures in the industry. This will help in future projects with non nexus device that five manufactures create. I believe devs jump on idea five nexus smart phones because the possibility of future and experienced gained.

Google has expressed that big sales for Nexus is not goal. They want the Nexus line to be profitable bit want it to be the blueprint from rest of Android community to follow.
Making 5 will just split the people who actually know what a nexus is.
Are you talking about the Devs or the consumer? I answered the dev part of this issue above so I will talk about the consumer. Having on Nexus many would be put off by the manufacture and never dive into Nexus line until they get there preferred manufacture to make a nexus. So actually your missing customers with the Nexus line rather than gaining customers. Having big five major manufacture at one time to all make Nexis of there own would bring lot attention to Nexus line especially having them all on the Play store. Later have four out of the five nexus on the 4 major carriers would bet the attention masses the Nexus brand.

Isn't Google all about choice? IMHO yes.

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
1. Yes i can see them selling the nexus while the new one is on sale. Its a great device at a great value i think they can still sale some. I hate to bring up apple but basically how they keep the previous iphone

2. I see what your saying. Im looking at it from a stand point of not wantig to have less options as a nexus user. Guess im just a little selfish

3. If they can get it on major carriers then it is ok. But having 5 phones that no one knows about seems pointless. I know they dont want to make a ton from the nexus line. But Im sure They dont want to lose. I guess they can eat a loss since they only money they make is from apps any ways.

Needless to say im excited regardless of if its 5 or 1.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Rumor Recap
We had rumors earlier this year that Samsung was geared t make the 4th Nexus. Them a couple month before Google
I/O, WSJ releases information that 5 Nexus smartphones coming out this year. Lastly this month we had a couple rumors adding either one nexus smartphone was coming out or multiple.

Theory
With all recent anouncents and official leaks on Sony,Motorola, and LG one thing has remained consistent in all three manufactures which is a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 and/or S4 Pro chip set. My theory wouldn't be very likely evidence Google could working with multiple manufactures if they are all working with Qualcomm for there flagship devices and Google has history with Qualcomm since the Nexus One. Google prefers to but tech that is tried and true for their Nexus line up. Then we have Samsung S3 has there flagship device running S4 along with HTC. Wouldn't this use of same processor be very benifical for Google if they were working with all five manufures on a Nexus plus would make it easier for every carrier to have a LTE version?

This good idea and would make things lot easier for Google but obviously they would just reproduce same flagship device from one manufacture with their vanilla OS. Google will still go in and redesign each manufactures flagship design to retain the style of manufacture but also add the look Google has for Nexus design. This process of making tj multiple nexus smart phones has many benefits and minor drawbacks.

Benefits
RD would be lot shorter because of use of same process chip across board and each manufacture is already familiar with chipset.

The chip set is a well know perform which Google lines with Nexus history of hardware used in the past.

The relativity and availability is wide with chip set which means cheaper build cost easier to that unlocked play stow price of $400.

Similar performance as far use of Android OS across board between the maufactures which makes devices relatively equal. This equality will give each the manufacture the fairness in competition in sales.

Drawbacks

Using the Qualcomm chipset S4 some would be dissapointed in not having another brand chip set or rather have the latest quad core processor instead of dualcore. (These people IMHO opinion are just specmonglers and misunderstand the point of nexus line in the first place. Not saying quad core nexus is not in realm of possibility just not this year IMO.)

These devices might not differentiate themselves enough from there sibling flagship device which might cause loss in sales in some fashion.

One last thing in theory Samsung could very well yes TI processor but again that follow in a professor Google is very familiar with so theory is still as follows.

I really hope this how Google follow through with idea coming out with multiple nexus smartphones. I see this idea very successful. Google can always can fall back on making just one but my theory makes possibility of making more than one so much more intriguing.

Adding to my speculation on five Nexus devices and I say "this something big is coming". I have notice since IFA that Sony,Samsung and LG have all came out with something big in that conference. Then it seem we have Nokia/Motorola with their events today both announcing flagship devices. Now we have Apple what next wednesday and HTC the following wednesday if I am correct. All these manufactures besides Nokia and Apple as of now are Google Partners and are the major five mobile manufactures. These companies seem to be pushing lot product early and leaves you to wonder what are they going to do for the holiday season. Most likely most of these devices will be out month or more before the holiday season will that wait for MWC to unveil another flagship device? I don't think so. Google has something coming in November/December and all five manufactures rumored working with Google are on board for whatever may be coming out. I think we have stronger possibly for five nexus smartphones then one unless GN made big enough impression during it's holiday season that Google feels GN2 will be even bigger but I am only speculating.

All Major OEM Partners of Google have made announcments in August and September.

In October you have rumored Apple event and official CTIA event. October as far as Android goes looks pretty dead.

November and December seems nothing big from the major mobile manufactures will be coming out with anything by themselves.

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I could see that. Them clearing out the end of the year of the nexus.

I remember last year Motorola and HTC releasing/announcing devices in November and December. I am sure few other devices came out for Christmas besides the GN. I may be wrong but most of the mobile industry would avoid releasing or announcing anything around a apple event. Now it seems like they could careless and just throwing out all flagship devices way before the holidays.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah why not? The sgs3 and the like will have staying power through the holidays. Expect so big advertising though.

There will be a nexus this year. No way Google let's apple have the spotlight to themselves.

Hardware wise, it will not be a eyepopper, but there will be decent improvements. It may be on par with the razrs.

It will not have klp. They save that event for June or whatever. It will be jb from go.

I don't have a problem with who makes it. I have said in the past that Samsung radios suck, but there is good improvement on the sgs3 and more to come.

I do want some htc or Moto build quality in there though. The back on the sgs3 is a joke.

Sent from my thumbs with no brain censorship

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah why not? The sgs3 and the like will have staying power through the holidays. Expect so big advertising though.

There will be a nexus this year. No way Google let's apple have the spotlight to themselves.

Hardware wise, it will not be a eyepopper, but there will be decent improvements. It may be on par with the razrs.

It will not have klp. They save that event for June or whatever. It will be jb from go.

I don't have a problem with who makes it. I have said in the past that Samsung radios suck, but there is good improvement on the sgs3 and more to come.

I do want some htc or Moto build quality in there though. The back on the sgs3 is a joke.

Sent from my thumbs with no brain censorship

Curious, why do you believe their will be a new nexus device with out a new os?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Froyo was not announced with the n1
the GN came more than a month after ics

the precedent has been set already. that and jb is way too new

Since, Eclair I think, there's always been a lead device though.

Eclair: DROID
Froyo: Nexus One
Gingerbread: Nexus S
Honeycomb: Xoom
Ice Cream Sandwich: Galaxy Nexus
Jelly Bean: Nexus 7

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Since, Eclair I think, there's always been a lead device though.

Eclair: DROID
Froyo: Nexus One
Gingerbread: Nexus S
Honeycomb: Xoom
Ice Cream Sandwich: Galaxy Nexus
Jelly Bean: Nexus 7

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

That.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What I had said originally was that the next Nexus would not be RELEASED with KLP. I didnt say it wouldnt be first.

It is a mixed bag as far as OS releases and when the device was released. The G1 was quite a few months ahead of Froyo (3 I think) and the GN was around a month or so after. I discounted HC because we are talking nexus.

Ry, thank you for proving my original statement, N7 will be JB.