Waiting for the next nexus(es)?

Italianice

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
So I'm giving up on my dumb phone and upgrading to a smartphone in the near future, I've had my eye on an unlocked galaxy nexus, putting it on the $30 t-mobile monthly 4G plan.

The question is, do I wait for the new nexus phones to come out or take the plunge now with the galaxy nexus?

Since I'm leaning toward t-mobile prepaid, any new device that I'd be waiting for would have to be sold unlocked like the current galaxy nexus on the google play store. I've heard the rumors that some new nexus phones will be coming out by the end of the year, but what are the chances they'll be sold unlocked and not tied to carriers right off the bat?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So I'm giving up on my dumb phone and upgrading to a smartphone in the near future, I've had my eye on an unlocked galaxy nexus, putting it on the $30 t-mobile monthly 4G plan.

The question is, do I wait for the new nexus phones to come out or take the plunge now with the galaxy nexus?

Since I'm leaning toward t-mobile prepaid, any new device that I'd be waiting for would have to be sold unlocked like the current galaxy nexus on the google play store. I've heard the rumors that some new nexus phones will be coming out by the end of the year, but what are the chances they'll be sold unlocked and not tied to carriers right off the bat?

Discover Nexus Devices

If any nexus devices comes out at end of year or in future they will be unlocked versions sold from the Google Play Store. Carrier versions are different store and what they do with Nexus devices comes down to the deal that struck between Google,OEM, and the carrier.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how much you are willing to spend. Any new Nexus will likely cost at the very least $50 more than the current Nexus, and probably more like $100 to $150 more. Another thing to consider is that the new Nexus phone(s) wouldn't come out until late November probably, meaning you will have to wait ~3 months for that to happen. It's tricky, but it really depends on your specific situation. If you'd like a better camera, then wait. If you don't care and just want a beautiful device now, go ahead and get the Gnex :)

porkmoon587

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same battle going on myself. I decided to wait because I know the new Nexus device or devices are gonna come out and I'll want one. However, I do have my NS4G to play around with so it's easier to wait.:rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Italianice

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. Sounds like it's expected to come out unlocked right away, so I will muster up some will power and hold out for the new devices. I know I'd be kicking myself once the next round comes out if I bite on the gnex now.

Malchore

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm right there with you italianice. I have a Verizon dumbphone and really want to upgrade to a fancy new smartphone!

I've decided on the next Nexus phone. But because I'm getting a 20% discount on my monthly Verizon bill through my employer I prefer to stay with Verizon. It's doubtful VZW will sell an unlocked Nexus, however. But I am waiting to see the specs of the next Nexus. If they are similar to the current Galaxy Nexus then I'll instead get a Droid Razr HD with Jelly Bean. There are certain must-have features I want (like removable microSD storage, some kind of hdmi video out, and a replaceable battery) which don't exist in the current nexus phone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary