Rumor: Android 4.2 Features on Nexus

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely LOVING this:
The manufacturers may provide their custom UI through the Customization Center, but they don’t have to. When Google upgrades Android and a manufacturer fails to provide a compatible version of their custom UI the device reverts simply to the stock UI (or the user waits with the upgrade until the manufacturer catches up).
This would basically solve the delayed update problems so many people have - and help fragmentation a lot by getting everyone on the same OS version.

Not sure if there would be enough incentive for OEMs to get "Nexus certification" though. Nexus phones aren't usually huge sellers, and it takes creative control of the OS away from the OEM.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely LOVING this:

This would basically solve the delayed update problems so many people have - and help fragmentation a lot by getting everyone on the same OS version.

Not sure if there would be enough incentive for OEMs to get "Nexus certification" though. Nexus phones aren't usually huge sellers, and it takes creative control of the OS away from the OEM.

Yeah I thought that this would be a great way to get more Nexii and to also get more Nexii on more carriers. I hope it's true.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Bears

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely LOVING this:

Good point but it is what stood out to me most next to battery improvements. I'm excited for this update, and as a Nexus owner, I can't wait to see what ROMs come out after it's release.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Good point but it is what stood out to me most next to battery improvements. I'm excited for this update, and as a Nexus owner, I can't wait to see what ROMs come out after it's release.

This. So much this.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Also this got me excited. it could have a theme engine to theme your entire phone without rooting it.

"The UI changes are said to go deeper than that, too. The CC will offer "templates" that can be applied to the entire system, including icons. Sounds kind of like the theme engine that's been in CyanogenMod for quite some time now. This will be a quick way of letting manufacturers include their custom UI without pushing it on users. In theory, it should also mean that the custom overlay is a separate entity of sorts, so OEMs could push OTA updates to just the skin."
Source:AP

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"Reverting back to the stock UI"? I don't buy that one. There's more than just UI customizations.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
"Reverting back to the stock UI"? I don't buy that one. There's more than just UI customizations.

Sure there is, and maybe this will stop that clutter :p

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sure there is, and maybe this will stop that clutter :p

It's weird. I kinda want Samsung, HTC, and Motorola to continue to do their own thing. If you don't like it, there's a Nexus waiting for you.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It's weird. I kinda want Samsung, HTC, and Motorola to continue to do their own thing. If you don't like it, there's a Nexus waiting for you.

I want the option of everything. The development aspect of this is humongous big.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Also this got me excited. it could have a theme engine to theme your entire phone without rooting it.

"The UI changes are said to go deeper than that, too. The CC will offer "templates" that can be applied to the entire system, including icons. Sounds kind of like the theme engine that's been in CyanogenMod for quite some time now. This will be a quick way of letting manufacturers include their custom UI without pushing it on users. In theory, it should also mean that the custom overlay is a separate entity of sorts, so OEMs could push OTA updates to just the skin."
Source:AP

This sounds like a mess for devices with Jelly Bean and earlier.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Dont think it would be a mess. CM has a theme engine and its not messy.
obviously there would be a stock theme that can be set from customization center.

I'm talking about upgrading old phones without losing any data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy