Possible Nexus 4 memory strategy by Google?

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The evidence for an 8gb N4 is mounting leading up to Monday's event...

So I am wondering if Google has a strategy that they first used with the N7 and are employing with the N4:

> Release low memory configurations at launch (8 and 16 for the N7)
> Have plans for a bump shortly after launch (32 inbound on the N7)

If that is the case, will we hear a ton of complaints from early N4 buyers when they release a 32 or 64 in a month or two?

Are we primed to repeat this whole N7 cycle again with the N4?

If yes, why would Google do it this way?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Put simply that would kinda suck, although I could see Google doing it to reinvigorate sales of the N4 a bit down the road. It isn't a great way to treat your customers, however.

I still can't believe there is a large possibility that the N4 will have 8gb of storage. It's ridiculous for that to happen in 2012.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
The evidence for an 8gb N4 is mounting leading up to Monday's event...

So I am wondering if Google has a strategy that they first used with the N7 and are employing with the N4:

> Release low memory configurations at launch (8 and 16 for the N7)
> Have plans for a bump shortly after launch (32 inbound on the N7)

If that is the case, will we hear a ton of complaints from early N4 buyers when they release a 32 or 64 in a month or two?

Are we primed to repeat this whole N7 cycle again with the N4?

If yes, why would Google do it this way?

Assuming it's true that it's only 8GB, they'd be doing it to encourage you to put stuff in their "cloud". However, this doesn't work for graphics-intensive games which require GB's of storage locally. So until someon can figure out how to do those games "in the cloud" it's a bad idea.

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Put simply that would kinda suck, although I could see Google doing it to reinvigorate sales of the N4 a bit down the road. It isn't a great way to treat your customers, however.

I still can't believe there is a large possibility that the N4 will have 8gb of storage. It's ridiculous for that to happen in 2012.

Yeah 8gb is pathetic. I do think that google is going to do this approach again though sadly. I've got an upgrade for next month but it looks like I will be waiting a few more months to get this phone with the specs that I want/need.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Aa Nexus 7 has bigger options i belive Nexus 4 will have too, as many said before leaked prototypes might have only 8gb because it's cheaper for device that won't be used in public

Ravynmagi

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Google ever planned to release a 32GB Nexus 7, it was a reactionary move based on the complaints, the Kindle Fire HD, and iPad mini.

I'm actually surprised that after the Nexus 7 issue and Google having to go back and make a 32GB model to address the criticism, they would just repeat the same mistake again with their Nexus 4 phone.

So I'm hopeful that all this 8GB nonsense is just pre-production product and the final version will be equipped with 16GB at 32GB options. It appears some retailers are just using rumors and leaked info as specs on their website anyway.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Even at 16 GB that is insufficient for a lot of people. The "cloud" isnt really an option either since most carriers are moving away from unlimited data. One of 2 things need to happen.

32 has to be set as a minimum standard on "mid" range and above phones or Google has to give up their crusade against SD cards.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Even at 16 GB that is insufficient for a lot of people. The "cloud" isnt really an option either since most carriers are moving away from unlimited data. One of 2 things need to happen.

32 has to be set as a minimum standard on "mid" range and above phones or Google has to give up their crusade against SD cards.

Insufficient for those "power" users and people that post here.

16GB isn't insufficient for most people though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Google needs to define what a nexus phone is.. they started as dev phones... which to me most devs are power users as well... now it seems Google is pushing nexus more for the regular user as a pure device..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
My wife is in no way a power user. If it wasnt for the SD card her phone will be filled by now with pictures, video, a few games and a couple of apps (one game is over a gig). More and more apps are getting bigger, so the space needed to house them needs to grow as well.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Here is the memory strategy of Nexus 4.

Galaxy nexus came with only one storage 16 Gb sold though play store.

Nexus 4 comes with the same 16 Gb memory but Google is giving additional option for people who want to save some money and at the same time are fine with 8Gb storage.

If you think of this this way, its better than the Gnexus strategy.

SamOliver

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Their thinking is probably that most people use way less than 16 or even 8 gb. But still, memory is very cheap and there's no reason not to offer at least a 32gb version. I think their strategy is more cynical than just cost savings, it's probably to either encourage use of their cloud services or to invigorate sales down the road with a 32gb model.

mjesheem

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
To cloud or not should be on the user!

8GB storage on the phone with increased memory sizes of apps is a huge NO.

Nexus needn't have a micro sd bcz its a Nexus. But do give us atleast 16GB else its not gonna find much buyers.

Sent from my Google Nexus S using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
To cloud or not should be on the user!

8GB storage on the phone with increased memory sizes of apps is a huge NO.

Nexus needn't have a micro sd bcz its a Nexus. But do give us atleast 16GB else its not gonna find much buyers.

who said there is no 16Gb. people started assuming. right from the start the leak had 16 Gb.

even the leaked Lg quick guide confirmed it.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
U know how many users probably don't use even 5gb of storage? Why does everyone pretend like the whole android community has 200 apps downloaded on their phone along with 2,000 songs and 5,000 pics? I know a number of older ppl such as my parents that download a few apps and just use their phone. Its not their iPod/camera/phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

mjesheem

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Well good for you that u don't use up more than 5gig!! I've utilized my entire memory.

And yup abt the 16gig, until the manuals were leaked it wasn't known.

And since the phone is yet not launched, none of us do know.

And yeah, we are talking about Nexus users here. Those who utilize the phone for development and other purposes.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Well good for you that u don't use up more than 5gig!! I've utilized my entire memory.

And yup abt the 16gig, until the manuals were leaked it wasn't known.

And since the phone is yet not launched, none of us do know.

And yeah, we are talking about Nexus users here. Those who utilize the phone for development and other purposes.

I forgot everyone who bought a nexus is a developer my bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes I know that is sarcasm but I would say that a younger, more tech savy crowd buys a Nexus as compared to other android phones.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Here's one reason a company might do it this way...

Let's say they sell hypothetically 5 million of the 8 gb units ... and let's say hypothetically that 20% or 1 million are 'hardcore users' meaning that they demand more out of their mobile devices than the average bear...

Those 1 million are going to upgrade to the 32 gig when it is released ... and they're going to call their friend who is still rocking that Blackberry Curve or Samsung feature phone and say "hey I have a sweet phone for you" ....

And now we will have 6 million owners of N4's where we would only have 5 million if they would have released all the memory configurations in the beginning....

Isn't that basically what happens with the additional color selections of phones that are released after the initial launch? BTW I know that color doesn't affect functionality like memory size, at least not for most of us, but I am just trying to think about how they are looking at this...

Is that plausable?