Are the days of high-end smaller-screened phones at an end?

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Thank you. Performance could be interpreted in various ways, but as far as smartphones go, user experience is the most important and practical way. Therefore, quad-core is not necessary for excellent performance.

While I agree that the iphone is very smooth remember it is very limited as far as what it can do. Run no widgets or live wallpaper on a note 2 and see how smooth it is. Even reviewers are saying its caught up as far as fluidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFMpvg5Wvc4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I mean I dont even lag when I run multi window. But I agree the iphone doesnt need quad core for what it does. Very smooth just too boring for me. As someone else mentioned jailbreak a iphone and let it fly. You will notice some slowed down performance. But as you stated quad core is not needed. I think a good processor is needed for android though because coming from the galaxy nexus is like night and day compared to thw gs3 and note 2. But alot of that I think is coding as well.. Samsung phones as of late have just seemed really smooth.

ONE BAD ASS NOTE 2 ON A BAD ASS JELLY ☆BEANS☆ ROM

dobermans rule

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree! Phones are getting ridiculous these days. I am seriously thinking about going to an iPhone...

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
The future of cell phones:

pocket-computer.png

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree! Phones are getting ridiculous these days. I am seriously thinking about going to an iPhone...

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

I agree you should def go to iphone. That will really punish manufacturers and stop them from making big phones that are obviously a threat to our society and life as we know it. I want you to know that I for one appreciate the sacrifice you are making for mankind. Hopefully the industry will realize that making different size phones is undermining our values.

Thank you once again.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
People seem to forget that besides the Screen the iPhone 5 is a very average (or just below average device). It has 1gb of ram (s3 and every phone after it has 2), a 1450 mAH battery (the nexus one had a battery a similar size for comparison), and it has a processor like the qualcomm s4 (not a real cortex a15 but with 3 gpu's). This device is pretty weak (but it has a beautiful screen imo). If that isnt evidence of the difference between iOS and Android IDK what is. Sadly android phones need more power to run then iPhones do. Which is why they usually cut it short in other places (be it the s3's plastic design or the one x's less than adequate ram).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
People seem to forget that besides the Screen the iPhone 5 is a very average (or just below average device). It has 1gb of ram (s3 and every phone after it has 2), a 1450 mAH battery (the nexus one had a battery a similar size for comparison), and it has a processor like the qualcomm s4 (not a real cortex a15 but with 3 gpu's). This device is pretty weak (but it has a beautiful screen imo). If that isnt evidence of the difference between iOS and Android IDK what is. Sadly android phones need more power to run then iPhones do. Which is why they usually cut it short in other places (be it the s3's plastic design or the one x's less than adequate ram).

People forget because those specs (RAM, processor) don't really matter to most people.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
(be it the s3's plastic design ).
that is not a cut corner that is a design just because people think that to have a aluminium body is a sign of higher quality doesnt mean thats the case. your bumper on your car is not made of metal. it may just be plastic but it is lighter sleeker and absorbs shock better then other materials. people have a perception in their mind about build quality which is just perception. you dont hear people complain about the Note2 build quality because it is heavier than the other galaxy's so they percieve it to have a better build quality despite it being the same material as the rest.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The bumper on my truck is made of metal, and has absorbed all manner of things that would have destroyed a plastic version.

It also makes me sad that Samsung fanbois are worse than Apple fanbois ever have been. None of the people making these phones love you. You are just a number to them, a filthy meat-sack that carries a wallet.

#hate-them-all.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The bumper on my truck is made of metal, and has absorbed all manner of things that would have destroyed a plastic version.

It also makes me sad that Samsung fanbois are worse than Apple fanbois ever have been. None of the people making these phones love you. You are just a number to them, a filthy meat-sack that carries a wallet.

#hate-them-all.

Person typing in red here. I have both an old car that has metal bumpers and a new car that has plastic bumpers: I would trust my life more in my plastic bumper car any day.

Trust me I love old cars ( I have 3 of them).

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

#hate-them-all.

Sad, isn't it? People become the very thing they hate :'(

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
My point exactly. People don't care because it doesn't matter. The device is smooth. If the device was laggy people might care more when picking a phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
My point exactly. People don't care because it doesn't matter. The device is smooth. If the device was laggy people might care more when picking a phone.

Indeed. People wouldn't love the iPhone as much as they do if it didn't work well and work smoothly. But it does, and yet it does all that without having amazing specs. I've seen how fast the iPhone 5 can switch between apps or open new ones, and I would never guess that it doesn't have top of the line internal hardware (although it is arguable that it does indeed) if I didn't know better.

Now: what are we arguing about again? ;-)

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
How the iPhone is the only high end smartphone that is small. I argued that it's internals aren't very high end for an android device besides the screen and the processor (to an extent)

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
People forget because those specs (RAM, processor) don't really matter to most people.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

But yet we have a spec race in the big device consumers market. So that doesn't count?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

NTheZone321

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
The only real competition that Apple has in small form factor, AFAIK, is from Sony Xperia. And if you are going to pay $800 for the SX SO-05D, you might as well get the iPhone 5 -- Sony Xperia SX SO-05D availability? - xda-developers

I use the Xperia Ray which is smaller than all the iPhones, but have to compromise by only getting 2G on T-Mobile and slower speeds. The Ray is now 2 years old, but can be had for $250 off ebay.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
after using the note 2 for 2 weeks, i dont think i would ever want to go to a smaller screen. when i pick up my ipod it seems so tiny in comparison. everything is much easier to see on a big screen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol