Are phones getting too big?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I love the iPhone 5s enough that I bought two just for me. Now if there had been a larger size one of them would have been in the larger size, despite my Mini and Air.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i think 5 inch should be the max size of any phone .... For a normal user its the best fit ... again it depends on people to people

The G2 (one of my favorites) comes in at 5.2" and didn't seem oversized at all to me but now that I've gotten used to the iPhone it and Note 3 may seem like behemoths. Thing is, the thing I do least on my phone is talk, and even then some of that time is spent bluetoothed to my car or on speaker. So a mini tablet with voice capability is all I need much of the time. That is not an uncommon use-case scenario which is why I think phablets are gaining popularity now. The only reason I got a Retina Mini LTE was to offset the iPhone's smaller screen since I'd been happy with a larger screen. Come to find out this is even better for me right now. Sometimes I just want a discrete device and the iPhone offers that.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The G2 (one of my favorites) comes in at 5.2" and didn't seem oversized at all to me but now that I've gotten used to the iPhone it and Note 3 may seem like behemoths. Thing is, the thing I do least on my phone is talk, and even then some of that time is spent bluetoothed to my car or on speaker. So a mini tablet with voice capability is all I need much of the time. That is not an uncommon use-case scenario which is why I think phablets are gaining popularity now. The only reason I got a Retina Mini LTE was to offset the iPhone's smaller screen since I'd been happy with a larger screen. Come to find out this is even better for me right now. Sometimes I just want a discrete device and the iPhone offers that.

I can relate with the idea of a discrete device. Sometimes when I do simple things like laundry or supermarket stuff in nice weather, I like to keep it simple. Shorts, slippers, small wallet, basic keys, and a pocketable device that allows u to walk around and forget ur carrying anything at all.

We don't walk out the door and watch media while we go about our daily lives. And if you can do that at work, you prob have a job that gives you a computer at your desk, like me. If I want more media in my life, I have a tablet. But to be honest, I find myself barely even needing that. And with chromecast and Apple TV, there's no phone size or tablet that can trump a flat screen HDTV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but I have the most precious little 4-year old and he likes to sit in front of my 60" Samsung and so I've come to like to lay and bed or sit in my recliner and have my "personal" screen...so that's where my tablets come into play.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but I have the most precious little 4-year old and he likes to sit in front of my 60" Samsung and so I've come to like to lay and bed or sit in my recliner and have my "personal" screen...so that's where my tablets come into play.

lol. Can't argue with that.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
No, not flawed. Folks at these OEM's get paid to "sense" the market. I just don't subscribe to the idea that they're all missing the mark. As much you may want this type of handset doesn't mean that enough other consumers do to make manufacturing a top-end handset a profitable venture. I'd look at phones like the S3 Mini and S4 Mini and HTC One Mini...though, they're not high end how are they selling? If they're sales are not great is it because they're not high-end or because they're smaller? The marketing departments research these types of things at at least one of the big OEM's I'd like to think. ...but I could be very wrong.

I've heard a lot of folks talk about what they want in a handset but a smaller handset with top-end internals has never been a recurring theme by the majority of them. Whatever they do has to be profitable and not just appealing to a small subset of the market. Sure, somebody like Samsung could take a risk and make a flagship-type small handset, they seem to want to create a lot of handsets so.... Maybe the S5 Mini will be the type of device you're interested in.
Quite possibly. The S4 mini was a decent device, although I would have preferred a little more power. I was all set to buy it when it finally came to Sprint, until I learned that I wouldn't be able to use it overseas. Despite holding a grudge against Motorola, I think I am happier with the Moto X than I would have been with the mini. It is more powerful and feels nicer in the hand.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Quite possibly. The S4 mini was a decent device, although I would have preferred a little more power. I was all set to buy it when it finally came to Sprint, until I learned that I wouldn't be able to use it overseas. Despite holding a grudge against Motorola, I think I am happier with the Moto X than I would have been with the mini. It is more powerful and feels nicer in the hand.

The Z1 Compact is the only flagship type smaller handset that I know of. I've that it will work on T-Mo and AT&T if it ever comes to the states. I'm just happy with my iPhones for today. We'll see what next month brings. If they could just do the S5 the way I'd like to see than I'd sell one of my 5S'. We shall see.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I think you have more people looking for an all-in-one experience, which is why the larger phones are growing in popularity. People think that their phablets can replace the need to for a phone and tablet. Though in my view, what you get is a severe compromise on both ends of the equation, which isn't worth it. I'd rather have a smaller, lighter phone that is more comfortable to carry, and use a large 10" tablet for entertainment viewing.

But as some others have said, it's getting hard to find appropriately sized smartphones (Under 5"). Most phones in that category are low-end phones, or "mini" phones of big name brands that have mid-tier specs.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
But as some others have said, it's getting hard to find appropriately sized smartphones (Under 5"). Most phones in that category are low-end phones, or "mini" phones of big name brands that have mid-tier specs.
I don't think that's a problem. Those mini devices might be "lesser" spec'd, but if it performs well then that's all that counts. OEM's will continue to push what they're feel is going to move large quantities of inventory. So if that means sticking to larger screens then that's what we'll see come to market.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that's a problem. Those mini devices might be "lesser" spec'd, but if it performs well then that's all that counts. OEM's will continue to push what they're feel is going to move large quantities of inventory. So if that means sticking to larger screens then that's what we'll see come to market.

People don't like to buy devices that they feel aren't as "future resistant". These mini devices might work great, but people will wonder if it will work great in 6 months, or whether or not they will receive the latest software update, or whether they will be able to take advantage of a new feature.

I do agree though that the manufacturers are going to continue to grow their phones, because that's what the public seems to want. I'm not gonna cry about it... I just don't agree with that notion. I personally don't want to carry around a giant phone (which still has a relatively small screen for media viewing), but that is a minority opinion.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think its fine for OEM's to grow their phones as long as there is at least 1 good hi-end option for those that want something iPhone-sized (but don't want an iPhone). Right now, its looking like the Sony Xperia Z Compact is the only hi-end compact and I don't think its at US shores yet, though they say its' GSM is compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I think its fine for OEM's to grow their phones as long as there is at least 1 good hi-end option for those that want something iPhone-sized (but don't want an iPhone). Right now, its looking like the Sony Xperia Z Compact is the only hi-end compact and I don't think its at US shores yet, though they say its' GSM is compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile.

That's the problem. It's not fair that we have next to no choices in this segment. The only phone that comes close to high end had not even reached our a shores.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if it's because there is little US market interest in compact non-iPhones. ...if most androiders are looking for 4.5"+. I doona know.

via the phone ⚪

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it's because there is little US market interest in compact non-iPhones. ...if most androiders are looking for 4.5"+. I doona know.

via the phone ⚪

They are anticipating market interest, and in my view, very incorrectly. Most minis fail because they are also mini on specs. They are not seeing that and therefore not taking risks in designing a phone that we want. It's a shame cuz I think the buzz is there. Just look at the attention the Xperia Z compact got for being high end. I think the market is there. Not all iPhone users want to stick with Apple products solely

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
They are anticipating market interest, and in my view, very incorrectly. Most minis fail because they are also mini on specs. They are not seeing that and therefore not taking risks in designing a phone that we want. It's a shame cuz I think the buzz is there. Just look at the attention the Xperia Z compact got for being high end. I think the market is there. Not all iPhone users want to stick with Apple products solely

I think you hit exactly what the issue is, and to be honest I am not sure why these companies do not see it?

When not make a Samsung S5 with the 5.2" display as well as a 4.3" (or something to that effect) but with the same or damn near same specs? Same with all the other phone companies, I really think they are missing out on a market that does want a powerful phone in the less than 5" size.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I think you hit exactly what the issue is, and to be honest I am not sure why these companies do not see it?

When not make a Samsung S5 with the 5.2" display as well as a 4.3" (or something to that effect) but with the same or damn near same specs? Same with all the other phone companies, I really think they are missing out on a market that does want a powerful phone in the less than 5" size.

I also think they can't. Iphone is unique, since it has a dual core processor and does not have the absolute greatest specs. And because of that, they get away with the smaller form factor. Android may be a different beast and needs a far superior processor and chipset to run "as smooth." So an idea I had about this was also that top notch specs just don't fit as well into an android machine like it does in an iphone. But that's just my thought.

An htc one in 4.3in with top specs would be amazing! Or even better, an all aluminum Moto x with a modified snapdragon 800 and 64gb of ram.

loki993

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple could put a turd in a box, call it icrap and still sell a million of them. You cant compare Apple to android...Apple sells more iphones because they are apple..not because if their size. They had a built in market with the ipod and it was a natural transition. They are also amazing marketers....

That said I shake my head when I see a new phone come out and the screens get larger and larger...the original Galaxy note was 5.3 inches or something and I though it was ridiculously huge... now the M8 is out at 5 and the S5 is going to be 5.1 if rumors are true the G3 will be 5.3 or something!!!! We were forced off of the keyboard for screen size...I still haven't found a software keyboard with consistently good prediction or that doesn't just refuse to correct half the time. Yet we are forced to use them, same will happen with big phones....eventually there will be no choice...

I went into the store the other day to play around with the new M8 and the first thing I said was wow...this is big.....too big in fact. Than I look at the minis and they all have inferior specs...If you want a high end phone that's actually still the size of a phone you simply cant get one. You either have to go with high end specs and a giant phone...or middle of the road, if not worse, specs and have a reasonably sized phone. I really don't play games on my phone....kills the battery too fast and I dont watch a ton of video on my phone for pretty much the same reason...plus...even on a 5 inch screen its less than ideal.

Still I don't know if the market is really there, the manufacturers and the providers have done a fairly good job of convincing people that bigger is always better and a lot of people dont have a hang up about wearing their phones on their belts like I do.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Apple could put a turd in a box, call it icrap and still sell a million of them. You cant compare Apple to android...Apple sells more iphones because they are apple..not because if their size. They had a built in market with the ipod and it was a natural transition. They are also amazing marketers....

That said I shake my head when I see a new phone come out and the screens get larger and larger...the original Galaxy note was 5.3 inches or something and I though it was ridiculously huge... now the M8 is out at 5 and the S5 is going to be 5.1 if rumors are true the G3 will be 5.3 or something!!!! We were forced off of the keyboard for screen size...I still haven't found a software keyboard with consistently good prediction or that doesn't just refuse to correct half the time. Yet we are forced to use them, same will happen with big phones....eventually there will be no choice...

I went into the store the other day to play around with the new M8 and the first thing I said was wow...this is big.....too big in fact. Than I look at the minis and they all have inferior specs...If you want a high end phone that's actually still the size of a phone you simply cant get one. You either have to go with high end specs and a giant phone...or middle of the road, if not worse, specs and have a reasonably sized phone. I really don't play games on my phone....kills the battery too fast and I dont watch a ton of video on my phone for pretty much the same reason...plus...even on a 5 inch screen its less than ideal.

Still I don't know if the market is really there, the manufacturers and the providers have done a fairly good job of convincing people that bigger is always better and a lot of people dont have a hang up about wearing their phones on their belts like I do.

I agree with you 100% about android overall. High end android Phones r ridiculously too big. It's a form over function thing that's run a muk!

I do however disagree with 2 things though. I believe there is a market for it. And I think that the opinion that more people that use iPhones are attached to the ecosystem is wrong. I think you'll find that there are a lot more attached to the quality and size rather than the ecosystem alone. If you weed out those who bought iPhones because they were more manageable, I'm willing to bet that it'll be a more 50/50 split between the size preferences.

Second, I also don't hold Apple to a standard where they can push out anything and make it sell. Yes, their products sell.... Now! But give them one or 2 cycles of bad products and you will see their decline too. They aren't immune to going under. They can just outlast a bad run better than say... Blackberry.

Apple is successful not because their Apple. They are successful because they know what people want... They get at the very heart of what a picky electronics buff wants! No gimmicks. And people flock to Apple because Apple isn't viewed as a company chasing the market. They follow a philosophy, and the public respects it and holds it to a higher standard. Blackberry use to be that way post Apple/Android days. But today, Blackberry, HTC, and even Samsung, believe it or not, just chases the public. In the end, Sammy will fall faster than u might think, and it's because they follow that mindset and don't have a devoted fan base as strong as Apple does.

So in the end, I think Motorola has the single shot at getting it right! But that's me. I think a Moto x 2, same size, high end, with good design characteristics and good materials will kill! Especially when marketed with the gorgeous Moto 360. But that's just my layman 2 cents for ya.

Last edited:

loki993

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
We will see but Ive had my own issues with moto in the past. Im sure there is a market for high end smaller phones as I know id be one of the first to buy one..but there has to be something to the strategy they are using currently. All one has to do is look at the way they deploy a flagship and then a couple months after release an even bigger Max or note version or whatever. I do think however that they are hurting sales of the minis at least somewhat by releasing them with inferior specs..I wish one would at least try it once.

Im in the same boat though In considering the iphone because if of its size and from what most people say it actually has a usable software keyboard. Even still that's a bit long in the tooth specwise, though it still runs great, and Im not sure I want to wait until September for the new one to come out. also Im not sure Im ready to give up all the control I have over my device by going apple....Im a bit of a flasaholic when it comes to my phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC