Are phones getting too big?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
4in is the sweet spot for me and that's why I cling to my droid incredible 2! Will not upgrade until something practical comes out. So far, I'm eyeing blackberry for the second time with their bb10 line. They seem to be hitting it off right with 4.2 hd screen with top quality specs to match. All the big crap at 4.5in or higher for me seems to be a gimmic for the media kids today.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

yeah a gimmick :rolleyes: because the sales of these phones hasn't proven that its more than a gimmick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
4in is the sweet spot for me and that's why I cling to my droid incredible 2! Will not upgrade until something practical comes out. So far, I'm eyeing blackberry for the second time with their bb10 line. They seem to be hitting it off right with 4.2 hd screen with top quality specs to match. All the big crap at 4.5in or higher for me seems to be a gimmic for the media kids today.

Lol@gimmick

Try the droid RAZR M

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Media kids? I'm a little confused by this statement. So are you saying only adolescents enjoy the web, movies, music, and games? If so I believe you are sadly mistaken.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Lol@gimmick

Try the droid RAZR M

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Media kids? I'm a little confused by this statement. So are you saying only adolescents enjoy the web, movies, music, and games? If so I believe you are sadly mistaken.

I'm trying to say that if you're a communications first kind of person, then function over form will matter to you. If you want to turn ur device into a playstation portable before anything else, then yes, its geared toward youth.... Or the blind... Either way, Apple hasn't shifted for a reason... And RIM, with all their past mistakes, still followed the "communications first" model which is good to see. Android manufacturers are getting so ridiculous right now, that i refuse to buy these phablets in protest! I give it at least another year or 2 before we see a shift back to normal again. Till then, I'll be forced to leave an os that i love, simply because of the lack of high end options, which is pretty sad for a platform that's supposed to be all about options.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to say that if you're a communications first kind of person, then function over form will matter to you. If you want to turn ur device into a playstation portable before anything else, then yes, its geared toward youth.... Or the blind... Either way, Apple hasn't shifted for a reason... And RIM, with all their past mistakes, still followed the "communications first" model which is good to see. Android manufacturers are getting so ridiculous right now, that i refuse to buy these phablets in protest! I give it at least another year or 2 before we see a shift back to normal again. Till then, I'll be forced to leave an os that i love, simply because of the lack of high end options, which is pretty sad for a platform that's supposed to be all about options.

There is no shift. People want bigger devices. The fact that you are posting from your nexus 7 proves that even you want to use a bigger device sometimes. Many people just choose a larger device for day to day communications as they can get more usage out of the one larger phone than having to buy a phone and a tablet.

We've already argued this topic to death months ago, yet I think that sales of the Note 2 are solidifying the horrible truth that you may be seeing more larger phones not fewer. All these new features demand a bigger screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
If it is about communication first then I don't get where a phone's stats except maybe the camera would come into play. Power users that push their devices to the brink I can understand but for primarily communication? Sounds like having power just because you can.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

If you are communications first why do you need bleeding edged specs obviously any dual core standard def gingerbread or ICS device would do what you need in twice the speed you need it done. You are making a fool of yourself demanding a smaller high end phone only to use it for texting and phone calls. Angry birds alone has over 200,000 years of gameplay collectively and over 500 million downloads that's a casual game clearly showing that media is becoming important.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Why get a smartphone if all you care about is communication

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If you are communications first why do you need bleeding edged specs obviously any dual core standard def gingerbread or ICS device would do what you need in twice the speed you need it done. You are making a fool of yourself demanding a smaller high end phone only to use it for texting and phone calls. Angry birds alone has over 200,000 years of gameplay collectively and over 500 million downloads that's a casual game clearly showing that media is becoming important.

Thanks for making my point. Playstation generation! =)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Why get a smartphone if all you care about is communication

Sounds like a Blackberry Curve is all he needs.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Okay, then what is it that you want to use your phone for that requires it to be top spec? Because it does sound like there are plenty of phones available that do anything you need.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I'm so confused by your bad logic I don't have angry birds by the way I was using it as a point. Yes these phones are used more and more for media I fail to see why you would need a smartphone if all you're doing is phone calls and texting. Clearly its becoming more important to the majority otherwise it wouldn't sell and since these phones are on a similar price bracket as the iPhone people could jump ship if they felt it was a big deal. Over 40 million s3's have sold with over 5 million note 2's in 2 months sold as well the numbers don't lie people like these phones.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Why do you guys monopolize this forum when this subject comes up. You add nothing to the discussion when 2 or 3 pro big phone supporters hog up the space and silence everyone else.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Why do you guys monopolize this forum when this subject comes up. You add nothing to the discussion when 2 or 3 pro big phone supporters hog up the space and silence everyone else.

I've taken your side on parts of this discussion many times in the past. It doesn't omit the fact that you are not making a valid point for not choosing a number of other phones that will easily do what you are needing them to do.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

There are choices for a smaller phone. Might not be the latest choice...but its a choice. RAZR M is smaller....Incredible LTE is smaller..RAZR, Maxx, RAZR/Maxx HD is still out, GS2 and 3 is still out...

There are rumors Apple is doing a 4.8" phone. RIM's new Blackberry is bigger than the iPhone 5..the market dictates ppl want bigger phones. Its still the BB ...just bigger. You dont have to buy it . You dont have to buy a new phone too. Honestly....my RAZR was fine. Maxx and Maxx HD had a bigger battery. I could just stick with my RAZR and Maxx HD for the next 5-10 years if I could. I'm a communication first person.....its the reason I'm a Motorola fan. I also think the Droid 1 is too small now. I just dont like the bigger phones like the Notes. I dont knock those that do tho. if thats what they want, fine. I just dont at this time.

Texting, typing urls, doing word processing type stuff on a phone....is better on a bigger phone. I would rather edit my resume on a GS3 or Maxx HD than my Droid 1.. A bigger phone isnt all about the Playstation generation. Depends on how you use your phone. If you are all about communication first....why care about high end options....If not for the chance for a better screen ...I coulda just got the Maxx. I want an FM Radio.....and I thought about getting the Bionic for a long time...and I still might if I dont see any FM Radios in US phones soon. I got the Rezound and G Nex right after I got my RAZR....and got burned because I'm a communication first person....and got caught up in the specs game. Communication first person....my reception is better on my Maxx HD vs my Droid 1. The bigger phones have more room for improved antennas or better placement. (RAZR M issues aside...lol) The Droid X1 had 2 antennas, I think all Moto phones going forward did. Starting with the Droid X1, multiple mics for better call quality. Communication first person here....

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

If anyone's silenced it's because they lack good counterpoints. You just think you have good ones. It's blatantly apparent that this is a paradigm shift in the way we view this technology. No longer do we need to be attached to a desk we don't need to carry a DVD player with us we have the technology to take this with us as well as be able to communicate all on the same device. You may want to fight that but clearly many have chosen to embrace it. The devices wouldn't sell if the people didn't want them that's how capitalism works. If all you want is to communicate why do you need high specs you aren't gaming, you aren't watching videos, you aren't surfing the web, you are calling, texting, and maybe checking email. The arguments you present are really nothing but speculation and passive aggressive name calling. You never provide facts you only show your opinion and when countered you resort to calling people you don't know children. I'm a grown man who works for very large computer companies and government agencies. I have a career not a job so your insults and insinuations are fairly irritating when repeated.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
GS3 mini is coming out...

The Samsung Galaxy S III mini with NFC packs the same dual-core processor running at 1GHz and a 4-inch Super AMOLED display with WVGA resolution. You also get a 5-megapixel camera that can shoot 720p video and a front-facing cam for video chats. Android 4.1 comes pre-loaded on the device.

I dont know if thats high end enough for you.....

HTC M7 rumors...
Real image of the HTC M7 appears?

One SV LTE
HTC One SV LTE specs

Other phones in general, there are some recent ones smaller than a Note.
Samsung Phones
HTC Phones
LG Phones
Motorola Phones

And I dont have a GS3, I dont plan on getting the upcoming HTC, Sony or LG phones. Because what I value the most....Motorola also comes thru. Communication first here...and if I dont like their upcoming 5" phone...I will keep my Maxx HD as my main phone. There are also many dual core phones that one can use thats not bigger than 5". They might be older....but they are still good. A person thats really a communication first person wont really care about high end specs....because your wants n needs will outweigh the specs chasing game. I fell into the chase game last year....and it wont happen again.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Big or small people should get what is best for them if possible. You said yourself that it's about communication first and not about the hardcore PlayStation generation users. In that case there are plenty of choices for smaller phones since you wouldn't need cutting edge power for that. One thing is for sure if Apple can put a great screen and camera in a smaller body so can Android OEMs.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Big or small people should get what is best for them if possible. You said yourself that it's about communication first and not about the hardcore PlayStation generation users. In that case there are plenty of choices for smaller phones since you wouldn't need cutting edge power for that. One thing is for sure if Apple can put a great screen and camera in a smaller body so can Android OEMs.

They can the issue in question is whether or not they feel its profitable. Which given the lack of these devices the accepted answer would be no. I'm sure it will happen eventually but I think the issue may be more fear of litigation in some form. Don't ask why this one is just personal speculation. We all know OEM's have the capability of putting high resolution screens in smaller form factors. Samsung Sony lg all of them have very strong display departments. So in my eyes its either litigation or poor projected sales holding it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12