Are phones getting too big?

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
They wouldn't eclipse including the older iPhones, pretty much there was nothing better or cooler back in the day. With the size thing unlike Apple you do have a choice with Android phones, unless I buy an iPad then no larger screen for me. All around my school there are mostly 4.5+ phones except for the iPhone of course and the original Razr Maxx. With all the sports stories going on I don't have the time to make use of the students for numbers since last time I did that it was before some newer phones like the Note 2 was out. Can't remember if the iPhone 5 was out or not.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Are we back to the argument that size is the only reason people buy I phones again. No that sales data does not provide compelling arguments proving that people want that size. IPhone users buy iphones for god knows how many reasons don't bring that weak argument in here a bunch of us shot it down in several threads.

Of course Iphones sold more compared to galaxy they had a head start and dominated the market the only true competitor has been the s3 and note2.

Provide decent ones please I beg of you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are we back to the argument that size is the only reason people buy I phones again. No that sales data does not provide compelling arguments proving that people want that size. IPhone users buy iphones for god knows how many reasons don't bring that weak argument in here a bunch of us shot it down in several threads.

Of course Iphones sold more compared to galaxy they had a head start and dominated the market the only true competitor has been the s3 and note2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

In iPhone vs. Galaxy battle, Apple still way on top | Mobile - CNET News

That's according to Raymond James analyst Tavis McCourt, who compiled the cumulative sales of the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 and stacked them against the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note smartphones. In total, Apple outsold Samsung 219 million to 131 million.

iPhone 4 released June 2010.
Galaxy S released June 2010.

This guy was trying to compare data from the same time period.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Really the last line of that article is the most important to me, the past is one thing but this is 2013 and moving forward with what looks like different trends. Go back several years and Lakers fans are pretty much penciling in NBA finals but now they're the Lol Angeles Lakers and the Heat/Thunder is the teams to beat. Sorry for the sports references too many videos, debates and, articles I'm working on. XD

Things are different now. Kevin Packingham, chief product officer for Samsung's U.S. mobile division, said Galaxy S3 sales actually spiked after the launch of the iPhone 5, and analysts have noted that it continues to be a top-selling phone at all of the carriers. Earlier this week, Samsung said it sold 100 million Galaxy S phones.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site

The problem is I present data from surveys and since some are not versed in statistics and sampling, then they shoot the survey down. Changewave numbers are clear: 52% of users want a 4-4.9 inch screen. Sadly the survey does not breakdown the screen size by I/2 inch increment. But that should be proof enough that people on this forum who want bigger phones are NOT in the majority.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358477393.720543.jpg

As was mentioned the author was comparing the iPhone sales since the introduction of the Galaxy S.

I did, but whatever I present you find fault in it. You do not trust surveys, you do not like sales data. And yet you do not present your own data to show us that the majority of smartphone users do want phones larger than 4.5 inch screens.

Sent from my iPhone 7

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I hope this all makes since because this is all just brainstorming. Here's the thing, those numbers are nice but can easily be spun in either direction, especially the survey data. The second largest percentile is 5in or larger, with no split in the 4in option between 4 to 4.49 to 4.5 to 4.9. With that I can make an assumption that a large amount of those numbers will be above 4.49 inches. I then follow that up with the sales from the One X, S2, S3, Note, Note 2, Razr Maxx HD, DNA and, others of their size and larger. Even if combined they fall short of the iPhone it is still solid proof that people love larger devices just as much and not only that before any of these devices iPhone was crushing the competition. If any of the larger devices shown at the CES also perform well then there is even more proof to throw out there.

Then I could just flip my entire argument around to say people would rather have smaller devices but focus on things like the iPhone and the original Razr Maxx, One S and, Razr M. But that's too much brainstorming for one night. -_-ZzZz

keithdroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I was really excited for the Note II on VZW and picked one right away, but after using it for 13 days found that it is just to big for a daily driver and sent it back. I am going to fall into the 52% crowd listed above.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
In iPhone vs. Galaxy battle, Apple still way on top | Mobile - CNET News

iPhone 4 released June 2010.
Galaxy S released June 2010.

This guy was trying to compare data from the same time period.

Yes but that's like comparing Ubuntu to Windows. The head start Apple had due to the release of the original iphones gave it a significant advantage. I think a better comparison will be Jan 2012- Dec 2013. Anything before this is just flag waving.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
We bought two of them off EBay (Thanks, Mr. Anonymous!) and I had to drive two hours both ways to get them at 1am. Fun times.

It was a good thing we did it that way, though, because we don't live in a 3G area and they wouldn't have been sold at local stores.
Everything is a moving target right now. Smart phones are already a new things to many people. And large screens are still a big question mark to a lot of people. In 2 years we may change our minds but for now the pace is changing so fast I thing that a lot of the crowd that are not early adopters go for what is safe rather than what is best for them. This can be said for why people respond to marketing rather than to what works best for them in real life. They buy an iPhone because they think it's a safe choice rather than the best choice. It may be the best choice for them but a lot of non techies just follow the herd. Now that people are taking notice of larger screens and people are talking about the added functionality, they start changing their minds and making educated decisions.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I was really excited for the Note II on VZW and picked one right away, but after using it for 13 days found that it is just to big for a daily driver and sent it back. I am going to fall into the 52% crowd listed above.
Ya it just crosses the line for me too. I think that for me the Note 2 features would be better suited to a 7 inch tablet. But more power to the people enjoying it. Go Android.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Its just a cycle things get big then smaller. Over and Over I prefer midsized phones.
things got smaller because functionality was different. Things Are way different now. The reason the Note 2 is bigger is because the S pen needs some room.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes but that's like comparing Ubuntu to Windows. The head start Apple had due to the release of the original iphones gave it a significant advantage. I think a better comparison will be Jan 2012- Dec 2013. Anything before this is just flag waving.

Why not Galaxy S2 and up vs. iPhone 4S? lol. Wave that flag.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I think the market is trying to find that "perfect" screen size. I think 4.5-5 inches is just about perfect. 5.5 on the note is too big imo. But for others its fine. I couldnt DD one.

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using Android Central Forums

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Smartphones with big screens near 5 inches are dramatically reducing tablet sales. At that size (and with the powerful processors), there is literally no need for a tablet. I do, however, think that we may have witnessed the maximum screen size for a smartphone (e.g. Galaxy Note II). I honestly don't think companies will traverse higher than 6-6.5", as it's proximity relative to the screen size of a tablet is just too close.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree somewhat.

My first Motorola phone was a E815. It had a bigger screen than most other cell phones. My first Win Mo smartphone was a Omnia 1. One reason I got it was the bigger screen size. First Android phone was a Droid 1....again, phone and screen size vs the Eris. (I also wanted a physical keyboard, so the Eris didnt stand a chance...lol)

A bigger screen was always a factor in me getting a phone.

I got the Droid X1, RAZR, Rezound, G Nex.... Maxx HD now. At first I thought the Droid X1 was gonna be too big. It wasnt. Now....I feel that 4.7" phones or whatever the size of the GS3 is is the absolute max size for a big phone to not be too big. I feel the GS3 is a tad too big...but the Maxx HD is fine. But I can deal with a GS3. I just dont like the size of the Notes and these upcoming 5 inch phones. With these phones its not just the screen size but the overall size....and to me the GS3 is a tad too much. But doable.

At the same time...I cant go back to a phone as small as the Droid 1. Playing games, watching movies, web browsing, just using the phone period...its just better on a bigger phone. And some, maybe all of those things will be even better on a phone like the Notes. I just think 5" and bigger is too big for a phone. So while I like bigger screens on phones...I might have a limit. With that said....I am a Motorola fan...and their upcoming phone might be 5".... :(....lol. Whats wild is when the Droid X1 came out...some ppl laughed at imagining ppl using it while talking...saying its like holding a tablet or waffle to your head.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I started this thread to say that phones are getting way too big these days. I want to upgrade, but phones are just huge. And finding a good top of the line specced device is nearly impossible. I hope people are on the same page as me. I love how Apple has the nice specced phone that is reasonably sized. Not everybody wants a big phone

Is there anyone out there that agrees???:confused:

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

Get the galaxy S III, it's top notch and not ridiculously big like some phones and it's totally pocket able

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
4in is the sweet spot for me and that's why I cling to my droid incredible 2! Will not upgrade until something practical comes out. So far, I'm eyeing blackberry for the second time with their bb10 line. They seem to be hitting it off right with 4.2 hd screen with top quality specs to match. All the big crap at 4.5in or higher for me seems to be a gimmic for the media kids today.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams