Are phones getting too big?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
1987 my first phone. HUGE. no different today except slimmer. Lightweight. Love my Note2

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree... Different strokes for different folks. I only challenge him in his black n white thinking... Which I think is bizarre.

He acts as if "choice" is bad and defends against it at all cost.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
I know you mean well in this. It's a tough battle to some degree as it comes off wrong. I wish that someone would make a top end 4 incher just to see what happened.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
This thread isn't that much fun anymore. Too much yelling and going in circles.

One thing I learned from dealing with people around campus and other schools is the only time they care about stats is if something comes up short. Pretty much only the tech nerds are making a big fuss over specs and locked bootloaders/jailbreaks.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I would also add that you have to factor in the mere idea that android fans who want flagship Samsung have zero choice but big phones. With a lack of high end options, you can certainly take any #s, which I'm sure iphone will beat easily, and still shave a little off Samsungs #s based on a %age of ppl who would rather have a bit smaller, but sacrifice that desire for that "top of the line." Its just common sense... No #s need for that observation based on a simple lack of choice....and "some" desire for smaller! No matter how big or small that # might be..... . Again.... At the high end of the spectrum!

Nrm, don't try to fight common sense. You will lose.... Sorry! lol

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
just saw this article on my RSS feed. http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/01/22/the-year-of-the-6-inch-smartphone-how-big-is-too-big/

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
just saw this article on my RSS feed. http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/01/22/the-year-of-the-6-inch-smartphone-how-big-is-too-big/

Well I liked the first part of the article, but I feel like it was cut off before he could really synthesize a good conclusion from the points he brought up.

I agree with the idea of one-upmanship that is and basically always has been rampant among Android OEM's, and that's why I'm especially excited to see how the phone market can spread laterally in terms of progress instead of linearly, i.e. Getting more cool new features instead of mostly just bigger and faster.

Regardless of what people want, or what we would like to think people want, screen size can only be a playing field for so long. We are quickly approaching the point at which OEMs will be forced to differentiate their product more on how they actually improve our (the consumers') lives, rather than providing us more space to accomplish the same task.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I liked the first part of the article, but I feel like it was cut off before he could really synthesize a good conclusion from the points he brought up.

I agree with the idea of one-upmanship that is and basically always has been rampant among Android OEM's, and that's why I'm especially excited to see how the phone market can spread laterally in terms of progress instead of linearly, i.e. Getting more cool new features instead of mostly just bigger and faster.

Regardless of what people want, or what we would like to think people want, screen size can only be a playing field for so long. We are quickly approaching the point at which OEMs will be forced to differentiate their product more on how they actually improve our (the consumers') lives, rather than providing us more space to accomplish the same task.
Ya good point. Perhaps once they make a tablet phone then we will just see what people really want rather than people buying based on the spec/size race.

DIPNINANOUT

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way. I cant wait until nexus is remade with better camera snd battery. Although I love my note depending on timing I may keep both it just released in taiwsn. Its galaxy premier same size as galaxy nexus just on touchwiz

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Totally agree.

This "size" race is pretty ridiculous. As a hardware engineering feat, Motorola releasing something like the RAZR M/i is more impressive than 4.7"+ phones.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree.

This "size" race is pretty ridiculous. As a hardware engineering feat, Motorola releasing something like the RAZR M/i is more impressive than 4.7"+ phones.
Even a 4.7 inch phone doesn't seem that odd. It's the 5+ devices that are getting out of hand. I'm okay with it if the regular sized phones aren't being neglected but that doesn't seem like the case.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Even a 4.7 inch phone doesn't seem that odd. It's the 5+ devices that are getting out of hand. I'm okay with it if the regular sized phones aren't being neglected but that doesn't seem like the case.

Exactly... Personally, i held the razr maxx hd and it wasn't totally unacceptable. I don't "prefer 4.7", but i can roll wit it. My pet peeve is just "the lack of" rather than challenging what others may like.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

Thats why I cant and wont have a note 2. Way too big. 5 inches is max if they do it right. My DNA is basically the same size as the s3, just a tad taller and with a 5 inch screen. Easily manipulated (for me) with one hand.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly... Personally, i held the razr maxx hd and it wasn't totally unacceptable. I don't "prefer 4.7", but i can roll wit it. My pet peeve is just "the lack of" rather than challenging what others may like.

This is the boat I am in. I will go bigger than I would prefer the next phone I get just to get the features and specs I want. It is worth the sacrifice to me personally.

I think many others are in the same boat which is why sales numbers are pretty worthless until there is directly comparable set of devices...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Crossing 6 inch mark is over my edge except a Note because the S-Pen/Touchwiz features balances it out for me. I don't get the point in chasing Samsung with larger phones but not making them hybrids.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Personally for me I wouldnt want a phone any bigger then a 5 inch screen. :) I also wouldnt want a phone with a screen smaller then 3.7 inches,ha . :p
As far as what size of screen size anyone else prefers its just that their preference,its all good.:)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Ya we certainly still need basic sized phones. My Nexus 4 feels almost exactly like my GS2. Side by side the are almost identical. The moderate increases in size didn't make much of a difference with the smaller bezel.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Crossing 6 inch mark is over my edge except a Note because the S-Pen/Touchwiz features balances it out for me. I don't get the point in chasing Samsung with larger phones but not making them hybrids.

I really think manufacturers are feeling out the market. Anything can give their device an advantage. It's like the "thinnest phone ever" thing. Who cares about thin anymore? All phones are thin enough. Put a bigger battery in it and make it a bit thicker. Home phones are not razor thin. So much of what we are experiencing is just marketing. In a year or two we will see some leveling off and we'll get back to seeing smartly designed phones with proper functionality for the device. The Note 2 is great for people who want a larger single device. The new SGS4 will probably have an S pen so we will see how that impacts sales of the Note 2.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Ya we certainly still need basic sized phones. My Nexus 4 feels almost exactly like my GS2. Side by side the are almost identical. The moderate increases in size didn't make much of a difference with the smaller bezel.

That is definitely true. As I said before, I found the razr maxx hd to be quite decent in size for having a 4.7in screen. I think given the new design parameters with casings, i would be happy with a 4.3in razr m "like" device... If only it was high end, with a high end camera, then it would be perfect! Add a razr maxx "like" battery and a water resistant coating, and you have my dream device in theory.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund