Are phones getting too big?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My Note 10.1 supports standard gsm calls.... so i could use it as phone if i wanted to ; p
and you'd look good doing it :p

I swear I'm taking a photo of me with my Transformer Prime up to the side of my head one of these days.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I do find it extremely odd that Samsung would make a phablet like the Note, and then offer little contrast in that the GS4 would be almost as huge.... And with an s pen as well! That to me seems strange. Their very own device would steal customers from their "other" device!

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I do find it extremely odd that Samsung would make a phablet like the Note, and then offer little contrast in that the GS4 would be almost as huge.... And with an s pen as well! That to me seems strange. Their very own device would steal customers from their "other" device!

Because Samsung probably views them as separate markets. The note series may still be an experiment in their eyes...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Well AT&T declared their smartphone sales today. Guess what? 84% of all the smarphones that they sold were iphones. A small 1.6 million phones were other OSs. And the size of the iphone is 3.5-4 inch. I guess there is not much of a rush for people to buy large screened smartphones. Yes, I know people buy iphones for other reasons than the screen size...LOL. Face it, you guys who want large phones are in the minority.

AT&T reports record iPhone sales - Jan. 24, 2013

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I would at the very least use that as an argument to say its not exactly clear if bigger is better! I can definitely see, feel, and understand the appeal of small high end quality devices made with quality materials. I think thats a huge factor in why so many people gravitate toward iphone. Ecosystem is definitely a factor, but i personally think that the device itself, design, feel, etc is the biggest factor in choice here.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Apple sold 12.5% of the estimated billion in a single year though so I guess that's makes my numbers a bit moot

Sent from my refrigerator

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Well AT&T declared their smartphone sales today. Guess what? 84% of all the smarphones that they sold were iphones. A small 1.6 million phones were other OSs. And the size of the iphone is 3.5-4 inch. I guess there is not much of a rush for people to buy large screened smartphones. Yes, I know people buy iphones for other reasons than the screen size...LOL. Face it, you guys who want large phones are in the minority.

AT&T reports record iPhone sales - Jan. 24, 2013

I'm far more interested in Samsung's, HTC's, LG's, Sony's and, Motorola's smartphone sells since they produce a variety of devices. Who can say people who are buying large devices are buying them because they are large? The DNA has a 1080p screen and Beats Audio for what's it worth. Note 1 and 2 are hybrids also Galaxy S3 just has tons of features out the box. Razr Maxx HD has that huge battery. My girlfriend has my Note 2 not because it's big but because it is smaller than a tablet so she doesn't have to carry extra devices.

Maybe the S4 will cap at a point and have Note features for people who don't want to go large as the Note series will go up to.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
301,980,000 that's the number of iphones sold since introduction in 2007 to q4 2012.

The galaxy line was introduced in 2010 and is over the 100,000,000 mark. The s2 sold roughly 40,000,000 of that as has the s3 thus far. Allow me to point out that 47.8 million could be added for q1 2013 which would be the highest sales for the iPhone ever. Judging by rate of growth I'd say Sammy is on track to keep pace similar to iPhone sales growth.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
And boom goes the dynamite

http://www.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57565780-94/samsung-apple-dominate-as-700m-smartphones-ship-in-2012/ Samsung, Apple dominate as 700M smartphones ship in 2012

You need to figure out what percent of the 213 million smartphones that Sammy shipped had screen sizes up to 4.5 inches and what percent were more than 4.5 inches. I have a hunch that a large majority of Sammy smartphones had 4.5 inch or less.

If you add the up to 4.5 inch screened sammy phones to the 135.8 million that Apple shipped and you get a larger majority.

Sent from my iPhone 7

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
You need to figure out what percent of the 213 million smartphones that Sammy shipped had screen sizes up to 4.5 inches and what percent were more than 4.5 inches. I have a hunch that a large majority of Sammy smartphones had 4.5 inch or less.

If you add the up to 4.5 inch screened sammy phones to the 135.8 million that Apple shipped and you get a larger majority.

Sent from my iPhone 7

My bad I wasn't even thinking about screens for that I just loved those numbers hahaha.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
If phones don't stop growing, this will be the galaxy s5

uploadfromtaptalk1359473169072.jpg

Lol. But yeah I am getting sick of the large screen crap. I think 4.3-4.5 is the largest they should go.

I can respect that people like their notes, but how about some smaller versions of their flagships? I don't see why not, if the hardware was kept identical then updating would be cake too

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I also like to add that I love my Nexus 4 but 4.7 is too large for comfortable one handed use. My pinky gets sore using it to balance the phone and the top of the screen is too far to reach. The phone itself isn't that large, it's almost the exact same size as my old vivid, but the vivid was much easier to use one handed. Thats why I say 4.5 is the perfect compromise, still plenty of screen to watch videos and play games on yet still small enough for one hand usage.

I worry though in 2 years when Google cuts this thing off what will be on the market... Ugh

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
wow. I just read through this whole thread. obviously, there are lots of opinions about sizes of phones, and here's mine. I went from the LG voyager, to the HTC Eris, to the Thunderbolt (now rezound). when I Got my Tbolt, I assumed that 4.3 inch displays would be as far as they would go, and almost immediately after that, the Galaxy Nexus came out. 4.5 inch display. I figured, ok that's it, they'll stop growing now. of course, they have not. I have average sized hands, and the Rezound can be operated easily with one hand. however, I'm about getting as much bang for my buck as possible. I upgrade in July 2013, and I would love if they had the Note 2 in a 4.7 in display. (I know, that's the S3....) I'm a very mobile person, and i need a phone that can easily fit in my front pants pocket. I'm resigned to the Note 2, based on it's projected price in July ($199, maybe), and it's specs. Razr maxx HD would be PERFECT in my eyes if it had more RAM, so again, I'm resigned to the Note 2. The S3 would be a year old at that time, but I MAY still consider it, since the price would be lower than my budget price. but the N2 3300 mah battery says otherwise. I'd prefer larger than 4.3, but smaller than 5.5.

but that's just my opinion. :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
wow. I just read through this whole thread. obviously, there are lots of opinions about sizes of phones, and here's mine. I went from the LG voyager, to the HTC Eris, to the Thunderbolt (now rezound). when I Got my Tbolt, I assumed that 4.3 inch displays would be as far as they would go, and almost immediately after that, the Galaxy Nexus came out. 4.5 inch display. I figured, ok that's it, they'll stop growing now. of course, they have not. I have average sized hands, and the Rezound can be operated easily with one hand. however, I'm about getting as much bang for my buck as possible. I upgrade in July 2013, and I would love if they had the Note 2 in a 4.7 in display. (I know, that's the S3....) I'm a very mobile person, and i need a phone that can easily fit in my front pants pocket. I'm resigned to the Note 2, based on it's projected price in July ($199, maybe), and it's specs. Razr maxx HD would be PERFECT in my eyes if it had more RAM, so again, I'm resigned to the Note 2. The S3 would be a year old at that time, but I MAY still consider it, since the price would be lower than my budget price. but the N2 3300 mah battery says otherwise. I'd prefer larger than 4.3, but smaller than 5.5.

but that's just my opinion. :)
you will be set for the S4 in July

Areplat

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I've not very big hands. And it is unconfortable for me hold Galaxy S3 with one hand. But it is OK to holt it with two hands. The screen is very good, it is a pleasure to watch videos. But when you use phone - its bother me that it is too big, you even have to turn your eyes to see the whole picture.
I wanted even to buy it. But now I look at Galaxy S3 mini (probably Samsung made it for the ones, who want to get small screen) 4", Galaxy S2 4,3, Galaxy Premier 4,6". There is a choice.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I've not very big hands. And it is unconfortable for me hold Galaxy S3 with one hand. But it is OK to holt it with two hands. The screen is very good, it is a pleasure to watch videos. But when you use phone - its bother me that it is too big, you even have to turn your eyes to see the whole picture.
I wanted even to buy it. But now I look at Galaxy S3 mini (probably Samsung made it for the ones, who want to get small screen) 4", Galaxy S2 4,3, Galaxy Premier 4,6". There is a choice.

A choice yes, but with limitations. The mini is downgraded in every phone spec unfortunately.

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want a note, don't buy one. I like my note 2. Great for bad eyes, functional, greaty conversation starter too. So the larger devices, phablets if you will are not out of hand. Note 2 has sold well. So there's a market. Nobody will twist your arm to buy a bigger phone. Just quit being so either/or. We can all live in the same world with different sized phones and the world won't crumble, I promise!!!

Even a 4.7 inch phone doesn't seem that odd. It's the 5+ devices that are getting out of hand. I'm okay with it if the regular sized phones aren't being neglected but that doesn't seem like the case.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want a note, don't buy one. I like my note 2. Great for bad eyes, functional, greaty conversation starter too. So the larger devices, phablets if you will are not out of hand. Note 2 has sold well. So there's a market. Nobody will twist your arm to buy a bigger phone. Just quit being so either/or. We can all live in the same world with different sized phones and the world won't crumble, I promise!!!

As i always said... I never had a problem with anyone's desire for a note sized device. My beef has always been the lack of equivalent options in the 4-4.3 in range.

But blackberry will be my new friend come March. They seem to get it just right with their new bb10 offerings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey