Are phones getting too big?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
As i always said... I never had a problem with anyone's desire for a note sized device. My beef has always been the lack of equivalent options in the 4-4.3 in range.

But blackberry will be my new friend come March. They seem to get it just right with their new bb10 offerings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Finally bye bye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want a note, don't buy one. I like my note 2. Great for bad eyes, functional, greaty conversation starter too. So the larger devices, phablets if you will are not out of hand. Note 2 has sold well. So there's a market. Nobody will twist your arm to buy a bigger phone. Just quit being so either/or. We can all live in the same world with different sized phones and the world won't crumble, I promise!!!

The problem is the flagship devices are only coming in xxl sizes now. You can get smaller phones but you have to settle for dated hardware. Look no further than the gs3 mini, and you can see that it's not a galaxy s3 at all.

They just need both, simply put.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The problem is the flagship devices are only coming in xxl sizes now. You can get smaller phones but you have to settle for dated hardware. Look no further than the gs3 mini, and you can see that it's not a galaxy s3 at all.

They just need both, simply put.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Why? If they are making piles upon piles of cash why bother.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

I just think a gs3 mini should have a quad core exynos, 12mp rear camera and a 720p super amoled 4 inch display like the real deal, or maybe it shouldn't be called a gs3 mini. Samsung makes too much junk anyway, for every galaxy s you have 20 galaxy junks

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Same reply would apply to people asking for things like more internal storage, or expandable memory, etc.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I just think a gs3 mini should have a quad core exynos, 12mp rear camera and a 720p super amoled 4 inch display like the real deal, or maybe it shouldn't be called a gs3 mini. Samsung makes too much junk anyway, for every galaxy s you have 20 galaxy junks

OK that didn't answer the question. Again if they are making ridiculous stacks of cash on the s3 and note 2 why bother both are hits what logical sense does it make to pay to start a manufacturing process to compete with their two top sellers.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
OK that didn't answer the question. Again if they are making ridiculous stacks of cash on the s3 and note 2 why bother both are hits what logical sense does it make to pay to start a manufacturing process to compete with their two top sellers.

The incentive would be to make money on the ppl that would prefer such a device. But until someone makes such a device to compete, no one will know how lucrative that market is. It is a chicken or the egg type of thing.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The incentive would be to make money on the ppl that would prefer such a device. But until someone makes such a device to compete, no one will know how lucrative that market is. It is a chicken or the egg type of thing.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

So its clearly not lucrative enough or else they would try.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
So its clearly not lucrative enough or else they would try.

There is nothing to say whether it is lucrative or not. Ever sense the one X came out, every high end device has been larger than before with nothing smaller to directly compare. No one has tried this market sense everything went large.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
There is nothing to say whether it is lucrative or not. Ever sense the one X came out, every high end device has been larger than before with nothing smaller to directly compare. No one has tried this market sense everything went large.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

OK first off it's since not sense.

Second if a company thought there was money to be made why would the avoid it like the plague.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Uh... Because I don't wanna carry a 46 inch plasma tv in my pocket? Because there is still a market for smaller phones? Seriously I must of missed something, apparently iphones don't sell anymore because there is no market for phones that don't give you more picture than your high definition television. Oh wait they still are selling!

I can respect that people want larger devices but seriously I don't see how problem with multiple sizes. It just like the clothing industry, same shirt, 50 different sizes, whats the issue here?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Uh... Because I don't wanna carry a 46 inch plasma tv in my pocket? Because there is still a market for smaller phones? Seriously I must of missed something, apparently iphones don't sell anymore because there is no market for phones that don't give you more picture than your high definition television. Oh wait they still are selling!

I can respect that people want larger devices but seriously I don't see how problem with multiple sizes. It just like the clothing industry, same shirt, 50 different sizes, whats the issue here?

It's okay if some people need to compensate. :)

Out of principle, my next phone will probably either be the DROID RAZR M or it's "normal"-sized successor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
OK first off it's since not sense.

Second if a company thought there was money to be made why would the avoid it like the plague.

Simple, profit margins. Larger devices are cheaper to make. And when all the competition conforms to neglect a possible market section, no one has to worry about using sales.

What is it going to take to overcome this? Someone has to take a risk and the market will have to show itself. Who will do this? No idea. Will it even flesh out? No idea. I think it will because of all the ppl I know that express their want for a small high end device, but that does not mean it will or it won't.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

vrwk

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't detest the idea of a bigger screen phones, however I wouldn't want anything the size of a Note because I like my phones on the smaller, traditional scale. I think I can trust companies to come out with reasonably sized phones and there will be something out there for everyone.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
My gut tells me that blackberry is on the right track and will sell bb10 very well. And with ppl looking to apple and maybe even blackberry for high end more balanced devices, this is where i think the market with change. Since android manufacturers are not moving here, a lot of ppl will move else where. I'm willing to predict the end of the phablet by the end of 2014, 2015 the latest.

And this notion that manufacturers know everything and only put out the right product all the time is ridiculous! Just ask Palm... Ask Motorola if they made any mistakes through the years. Ask RIM if they dropped the ball a few times. Bottom line, companies are not just born knowing everything! And realistically, this smaller / high end device segment could very well be an untapped and lucrative market!

Android OEMs like Samsung could just have their eye off the ball here and be missing a market segment that could really put them over the top!

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Thought this was funny and interesting.

I love that we have the Note 2 I think you may have misinterpreted my post.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My gut tells me that blackberry is on the right track and will sell bb10 very well. And with ppl looking to apple and maybe even blackberry for high end more balanced devices, this is where i think the market with change. Since android manufacturers are not moving here, a lot of ppl will move else where. I'm willing to predict the end of the phablet by the end of 2014, 2015 the latest.

And this notion that manufacturers know everything and only put out the right product all the time is ridiculous! Just ask Palm... Ask Motorola if they made any mistakes through the years. Ask RIM if they dropped the ball a few times. Bottom line, companies are not just born knowing everything! And realistically, this smaller / high end device segment could very well be an untapped and lucrative market!

Android OEMs like Samsung could just have their eye off the ball here and be missing a market segment that could really put them over the top!

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
I really think that the market is limitless. Size is different for everyone, but I hope we just continue to have good variety in size without compromising features.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums