Are phones getting too big?

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
OK that didn't answer the question. Again if they are making ridiculous stacks of cash on the s3 and note 2 why bother both are hits what logical sense does it make to pay to start a manufacturing process to compete with their two top sellers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

To make even more money by serving a group of customers who are presently dissatisfied. Is that what you wanted to hear?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Finally now you guys can quit whining about not having a miniature.

Your forum tone speaks as if you hate our desire for smaller devices. Trying to see the psychology behind that one, but anyhow.... That's not for this thread anyway. Moving along...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Finally someone puts a good screen and camera in a smaller phone! HTC better learn from Samsung about marketing.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

We get it, you like large phones, why do you care what everyone else wants?

M4 does sound nice, a step in the right direction finally!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

No different than people wanting other features. At least smaller devices makes more sense than complaining about locked boot loaders and stock Android on non Nexus devices.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
We get it, you like large phones, why do you care what everyone else wants?

M4 does sound nice, a step in the right direction finally!

The M4 would be a step in the right direction if it met or beat the RAZR M/i bezel.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah and if it wasn't htc... Ugh after my flyer and Vivid I can safely say HTC isn't for me. If I ever get a carrier phone again, it's going to be a Samsung, hopefully they'll start releasing good phones in reasonable sizes again too.

But I'm set for the next 2 years anyway lol

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Personally, i would like to see a smaller size device (4.3in next to no bezel screen) in the Nexus branding. I also wouldn't mind it being Motorola with their "X phone" as well.

Samsung doesn't impress me with their cheap feather weight plastic.

HTC is nice, and the droid incredible 2 has served my nicely since its inception. But the lack of updates and the lack of control over carrier's interests worries me.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I won't argue that Motorola or htc aren't better built because they are, but they also come with locked bootloaders that require warranty voiding methods to unlock them. If you think you might wanna root at some point, it Samsung or nothing, unless you buy a nexus. And if you wanna stay stock, then anything but htc as htc sense is just terrible and takes all the fun out of android.

Yeah I'd also like to see a smaller nexus device too, this thing is a bit difficult to use one handed

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I won't argue that Motorola or htc aren't better built because they are, but they also come with locked bootloaders that require warranty voiding methods to unlock them. If you think you might wanna root at some point, it Samsung or nothing, unless you buy a nexus. And if you wanna stay stock, then anything but htc as htc sense is just terrible and takes all the fun out of android.

Yeah I'd also like to see a smaller nexus device too, this thing is a bit difficult to use one handed

Most all htc devices have unlocked bootloader...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Maybe with Google having more of a hand in this x phone, it might be more like a nexus than just another razr "like" device. I guess its too early to know at this point.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Most all htc devices have unlocked bootloader...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Not my flyer or vivid, both I had to unlock through htcdevelopers.com and both would say "relocked" on the bootloader if you reverted to stock, meaning yeah your warranty is void. Its my understanding after the sensation, it all went to hell.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Not my flyer or vivid, both I had to unlock through htcdevelopers.com and both would say "relocked" on the bootloader if you reverted to stock, meaning yeah your warranty is void. Its my understanding after the sensation, it all went to hell.

That is still an unlocked bootloader. Even samsung devices you have to use a computer.

Your warranty "may" be void. They dont take you serial number or anything like that. There has never been a warranty claim revoked that i have ever found and that is with LOTS of devices returned stories. Dont get me wrong, you should expect it to be revoked(as you should when modding any device) but it is not definite at all.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The thing is I've owned a Samsung before. The bootloader was completely unlocked out of the box, didn't even have to type the fastboot command. Rooting took all of 5 minutes, and no data was lost in the process. Honestly after owning the Captivate a year and a half I never learned out how to use adb and fastboot because I never had to. The thing was all but a nexus really. I had to swap it out twice, both times it was just as easy as running a one click program to get it back to stock. Then I bought my flyer, my god I had to read like 5 posts on xda to get it unlocked, rooted and... S-off? What is s-off? Exclusive bs that htc adds to make it even harder to hack. It took me 2 evenings to get my flyer to the point where the Captivate got to in 10 minutes. Then I got my vivid and I flew through unlocking and rooting being familiar with the flyer, but I never did get s-off because it involved touching a wire to the motherboard! Wtf? But none of that was the worst. The worst thing is after you acheive all the hurdles, there's nothing but modified stock roms because htc makes them hard as hell to develop for. And I really found on both devices that I hate sense.

I mean I think for the general public they are great and build quality blows everything out of the water, but they aren't geek phones, not at all. And sense is so forked you'd think it was a Kindle, htc does everything to make android not look like android. Hell you really can't even easily switch your launcher on sense.

Unless they build a nexus again, or drop sense, s-off, I'd never buy one again. Should of gone with my gut and gotten the galaxy s2, but I've remedied that now.

Sorry to go off topic, hey to each his own, just saying my experience with htc wasn't great. And go figure I replaced both HTC devices with nexus devices

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Getting back on topic, my wife is still rocking the vivid and the screen seems kinda small on it now that I've been using the n4 for almost a month. I think that's why screen sizes are going up. Especially when one of the biggest players became famous over their great TVs to begin with. I mean I was content with my cappys 4 inch screen, hell I was with my eternitys 3.2 inch screen, but you get a larger phone, get used to the size, then see a bigger phone, and start getting envious of it. All of a sudden, you're want more.

At this point I probably wouldn't go back to 4 inch, but I'd still be all about 4.3-4.5. I still feel like those are about the largest you can go before one hand usability starts getting difficult. And of course that depends on your hand size, I am 6 foot 2 and have large hands, but I can't imagine a 5 foot 2 girl easily being able to easily use a 4.5 inch screen 1 handed.

I dunno it might be easier on a phone with a 16:9 aspect ratio. A buddy of mine is only like 5 foot 5 has a galaxy nexus, it's 720p so the screen is skinnier yet taller than mine and he has no issues using it. Mine is 1280x768 so the screen is shorter but wider than the Gnex and the width gives me problems more than the height. I simply can't reach the top left corner.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, i do think that so far, in the last few weeks or even months, there has been enough "chatter" on this subject and my hunch is that manufacturers are starting to take note for the next cycle of devices. In fact, i think the razr m was born through this desire for a more compact high end. Granted, its not exactly high end for todays standards, but no one would argue that it is a total washout "specs wise" either.

In the end, I see change coming. And even blackberry sees the need to limit size to proper functionality here. And i think they are indeed making a comeback and will absolutely influence the market with their approach.

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Got a Note 2 few days ago but think I will be returning it way to big for me to be a mobile device. Think I will wait to see what the s4 will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz