Are phones getting too big?

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I do like the gestures, honestly the navigation bar is kinda stupid on android and still shows its roots as a button os. Don't see the point of getting rid of physical buttons if you're just going to put them on the screen anyway.

And is it just me or does the stock bb browser look a LOT like the AOSP browser? Is blackberry 10 forked android?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

You get rid of physical buttons to streamline a design so it looks clean. Plus, there's less chance of mechanical failure since there's less moving parts.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah my thoughts too. BlackBerry 10 looks really nice, but so does windows phone, and 3 years after the launch of windows phone, it's still failing to make a splash in the market. At this point I think android and ios are just too well established and their isn't room for another player.

But the BB messenger looks brilliant and it's something android needs desperately

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Gtalk is their window into a bbm style experience. They just need to capitalize on it and develop it into thwir next os update.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Well blackberry was king when ios came out too, and Steve Jobs changed everything with his radically different design and approach to smartphones. Android was developed during the same time frame, but really took off as everyone was desperately looking for an iphone alternative.

Problem is blackberry just isn't different enough and its not a gamechanger. Only way your breaking into this market is you gotta have a gamechanger.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

We the big success of the Iphone was contributed to the fact that it was the first smartphone to appeal to the average and young consumer. Everything before it was completely business oriented. Essentially the Iphone created a new market that it was suddenly the monopoly in.

These days that market is filled. It is ruled by marketing and flashy things. A new comer would have to come up with something really game changing to make any kind of real sales. Will bb10 make that kind of effect? Idk but I hope it takes some decent share so there will be more competition in the market

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
We the big success of the Iphone was contributed to the fact that it was the first smartphone to appeal to the average and young consumer. Everything before it was completely business oriented. Essentially the Iphone created a new market that it was suddenly the monopoly in.

These days that market is filled. It is ruled by marketing and flashy things. A new comer would have to come up with something really game changing to make any kind of real sales. Will bb10 make that kind of effect? Idk but I hope it takes some decent share so there will be more competition in the market

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

BB was seen big in NA, but here in Poland (and i susspect most of Europe) did even know that it exists, at that time people been more exited with Nokia sybian phones. So i don't see how BB was ever successful. I first seen BB on... Pimp My Ride, they give one included to the car and i was wondering why this guy is so exited over it :p

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
BB was seen big in NA, but here in Poland (and i susspect most of Europe) did even know that it exists, at that time people been more exited with Nokia sybian phones. So i don't see how BB was ever successful. I first seen BB on... Pimp My Ride, they give one included to the car and i was wondering why this guy is so exited over it :p

Great Britain holds one of the largest portions of its customer base.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
So does bb10 run android apps? I'm hearing it does. If that's the case it does give it a heads up over windows phone. Granted I doubt it has playstore support, but RIM can add apps as it sees fit.

Last edited:

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
From what i understand, it does play android apps, however, the developers need to repackage them in order for them to work on blackberry. They don't however need to make a totally new app from scatch.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes I admit it, bb10 is kinda cool. I watched the presentation totally expecting to laugh and bash it, but walked away impressed. Overall I it seems to take the best of both worlds and combine them seamlessly

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There's no doubt that it's a risk. But as i always said, for me its more about communications and utility first, media second. My biggest fear is not having google services sync at its best. I have to see how that develops from now till release.

And now the rumored x phone is also appears to be a behemoth too, with a 5in screen.

Well you are building a bit of a house of cards to some degree. If you only care about communication and Google services then why would the HTC one s or RAZR m not be good phones for you? Any android phone would be.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I really hope BlackBerry can make it. Somehow i think this new strategy is a winner. Ppl who bash it right out the door are just trolling. Granted, its true that ios and android have a strong hold on the market that will be difficult to break, but this expectation that wall street has is completely unrealistic. What do they expect... For them to build a teleportation device??? At the end of the day, what they are focused on now, in my view, is enough for them to differentiate. And hardware wise, it's exactly what I been looking for.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
BlackBerry cornered the market on efficient message delivery. They still do. Their servers deliver email and internal messages so fast that it was hard to not fall in love with the phone when they came out. But messaging only goes so far now. The hunger people have for apps changed it all.

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Getting back on topic, I think 720p over 4.2-4.5" is great. I don't think I'd be that uncomfortable going back to my HTC HD2 actually (loved that phone) besides the slowness and low resolution. Form factor was wonderful.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Note 2 screen isn't pentile. It's exactly why I bought it over the S3.

5.5" is too much for me but I've gotten used to it. ~4.8" is my personal sweet spot. Loved the Nexus 4 for one handed use.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I came back to this thread specifically to correct that, as I made a note to check it (taking forums to seriously at the moment :) ).

It had to be the pixel density, then. It was just too low compared to other devices like the Xperias and One X to bother.

Also, TouchWiz is just designed (aesthetically) in a way that seems to make a high resolution screen look lower resolution than it actually is to me.

The deal breaker for me was the S Pen. It was laggy and I cannot say it is more accurate than a finger due to that. The mouse on my PC runs circles around it, by comparison.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Gtalk is their window into a bbm style experience. They just need to capitalize on it and develop it into thwir next os update.

It's too late. Google took too long and they baked Google Talk into the OS in a way that makes little sense - it should have been broken off after GB when they realized how much of a PITA it is to add huge futures to it and have it propagate to phones decently (remember even GB phones needed a small update to get Voice and Video Chat). Also, carriers like AT&T are blocking the functionality in the FW. It was as dumb decision.

Blackberry was very smart about BBM. They just developed it as a separate app and pre-loaded it on their devices (similar to Google+ app, but without requiring you to sign up for a another social network, and with way superior feature set for messaging, of course). That means when they rolled out BBM Voice Calling, devices just updated the app on BB 6/7 devices and they could use it. Android devices required FW updates to a specific subversion of GB before they could even use that. If you didn't get a FW update (or hack your phone and install a custom ROM), you simply didn't get it.

For Google Talk to be competitive with BBM it would require YEARS before enough phones are update it to propagate it properly across their user base, and the OEMs won't help as they still develop new low-mid range phones with old Android versions. RIM still has over 80M devices world-wide, not counting people who are going to go back to BB or perhaps buy one of the new ones as their first smartphone.

Google+ Messenger was the wrong way to go as a lot of people simply don't have the time to use it heavily. A lot of people use it like a glorified RSS reader, they don't actually share anything just troll comments.

I think your last part of that statement pretty much sums up the issue with their messaging services and development strategy. "develop it into their next OS" is actually a pretty terrible strategy.

However, Facebook and Skype may fix that for us, in a cross platform sense. Skype is practically there, already. It only misses Sent/Delivered/Read statuses.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft is releasing Skype as a separate app instead of in-built functionality to avoid having the carriers cripple it the way they do with Google Talk on Android phones.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry cornered the market on efficient message delivery. They still do. Their servers deliver email and internal messages so fast that it was hard to not fall in love with the phone when they came out. But messaging only goes so far now. The hunger people have for apps changed it all.

BB10 doesn't use BIS.

Apps only matter as far as what someone actually needs on their device. If BB10 has most or all of those apps, what specific advantages anyone claims android has (that they don't care about) ceases to matter.

How do you think Nokia was able to sale so many Lumia phones despite internet trolls polluting every forum, blog post, tech blog, Google+ thread, Facebook thread, etc. with "WP8 sux?"

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: Are phones getting too big?

Keep in mind google talk is XMPP based IM network with external communication, google+ messanger runs on top of it. XMPP means its like email-like IM, so it can communicate with other XMPP open networks, not much people realize that as there no other popular open XMPP network. Lot of companies (most notibly facebook) that use XMPP close there network from external communication killing XMPP major pros, but if ever this marketing bubble will pop google talk will be a lot more useful and integrating with OS (what ever it means as google talk is already pretty transparent) makes more sence.

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
BB10 doesn't use BIS.

Apps only matter as far as what someone actually needs on their device. If BB10 has most or all of those apps, what specific advantages anyone claims android has (that they don't care about) ceases to matter.

How do you think Nokia was able to sale so many Lumia phones despite internet trolls polluting every forum, blog post, tech blog, Google+ thread, Facebook thread, etc. with "WP8 sux?"

As far as this NA market goes, apps are crucial. Remember when PB came out, the biggest thing RIM tried to marketed was the best web browsing experience. Their CEOs at the time believed that with a superior browser that functions like a desktop with flash support, you didn't need apps.

We have to look at apps now in the same way we look at store spots in a mall. If you walk through the halls, and its empty halls, people will just leave. Same applies to the app experience. BlackBerry i think understands this now and is focused on making it easier to develop apps, especially with the fact that android apps are nearly functional on the qnx platform with very little repackaging involved.

But besides apps, android has a few big pluses at the moment, and that's mapping and google sync. Exchange is fine, but the average consumer is not paying for that, and what we're left with now is no instant push email, only 15 minute sync.

Tina39

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I like the bigger phones. I like to both talk and surf the web on mine. Plus, the smaller size phones I would end up losing in my purse.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
It's too late. Google took too long and they baked Google Talk into the OS in a way that makes little sense - it should have been broken off after GB when they realized how much of a PITA it is to add huge futures to it and have it propagate to phones decently (remember even GB phones needed a small update to get Voice and Video Chat). Also, carriers like AT&T are blocking the functionality in the FW. It was as dumb decision.

Blackberry was very smart about BBM. They just developed it as a separate app and pre-loaded it on their devices (similar to Google+ app, but without requiring you to sign up for a another social network, and with way superior feature set for messaging, of course). That means when they rolled out BBM Voice Calling, devices just updated the app on BB 6/7 devices and they could use it. Android devices required FW updates to a specific subversion of GB before they could even use that. If you didn't get a FW update (or hack your phone and install a custom ROM), you simply didn't get it.

For Google Talk to be competitive with BBM it would require YEARS before enough phones are update it to propagate it properly across their user base, and the OEMs won't help as they still develop new low-mid range phones with old Android versions. RIM still has over 80M devices world-wide, not counting people who are going to go back to BB or perhaps buy one of the new ones as their first smartphone.

Google+ Messenger was the wrong way to go as a lot of people simply don't have the time to use it heavily. A lot of people use it like a glorified RSS reader, they don't actually share anything just troll comments.

I think your last part of that statement pretty much sums up the issue with their messaging services and development strategy. "develop it into their next OS" is actually a pretty terrible strategy.

However, Facebook and Skype may fix that for us, in a cross platform sense. Skype is practically there, already. It only misses Sent/Delivered/Read statuses.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft is releasing Skype as a separate app instead of in-built functionality to avoid having the carriers cripple it the way they do with Google Talk on Android phones.

Gtalk is a separate app its not really baked in at all its just preloaded. As for functionality it's closed source so you really can't speculate on how hard it is to add functionality to it. As far as updating it, it would be an update through the play store like every other app so if people allow automatic updates then it could propagate like any other app. Gapps aren't baked in all of them are separate apps that just come with the phone the biggest issue is where OEM's place the app aka /system/app causing you to be unable to remove it.

G+ is a social network and its chat feature is part of that although I would love to see it's hangout feature added into gtalk again both are closed source so we can't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos