Are all phones gonna be 5 inches for now on?

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
It seems we are not getting or seeing all the phones out there. Samsung alone has several phones such as the Galaxy S3 mini a GSM only model, Galaxy Axiom a us cellular only. These are 4 inch screens. Hello Samsung we are calling from Sprint US.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Because every rumored phone Ive searched for so far seems to have a 5 inch screen or higher so are phones just going to gradually get bigger for now on or is 5inches the screen size stopping point?

Depends what range you are in..

Mid-range phones and phones aimed at 'developing markets' will mostly be smaller. Top-tier devices do all seem to be heading that way...

As an aside, I saw a guy waiting in an auto repair shop surfing the web on his tablet.... his 20 inch tablet... lol... and I thought that the iPad was too big...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It seems we are not getting or seeing all the phones out there. Samsung alone has several phones such as the Galaxy S3 mini a GSM only model, Galaxy Axiom a us cellular only. These are 4 inch screens. Hello Samsung we are calling from Sprint US.

But they're not really making any noise about those models.

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Things like this are cyclical, I think within the next 3-10 years the cycle will reverse and our devices will begin getting smaller and smaller again. We'll see all kinds of ads spinning it like "smaller is better" and "big features in a little package", and all that garbage. I'm willing to bet money on it. Phones can only get bigger for so long. Some manufacturer is gonna come along with a new and different phone and be like "boom, 3.5 inches", and everyone will go crazy for it. It'll have to be a kickass phone though.

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Things like this are cyclical, I think within the next 3-10 years the cycle will reverse and our devices will begin getting smaller and smaller again. We'll see all kinds of ads spinning it like "smaller is better" and "big features in a little package", and all that garbage. I'm willing to bet money on it. Phones can only get bigger for so long. Some manufacturer is gonna come along with a new and different phone and be like "boom, 3.5 inches", and everyone will go crazy for it. It'll have to be a kickass phone though.

The only way I see the trend reversing is if the phone is just a networking device for other devices. The screen is getting larger so we can have more words in the page due to the fact people are not calling as much but texting more and using the Web. Something would have to replace that ability for phones to shrink.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

pcuciti

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Phones will start getting smaller when they become 'just phones' again. Why not get a tablet and a BT headset?
And don't forget, most of you guys are on the bleeding edge. Not everyone wants the flagship device.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't see computer monitors or televisions going smaller.
Of course, you don't have to carry them around with you either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I hope to god 5"+ isn't the new size for ALL phones. I do NOT want a 5.7 inch screen phone lmao. It would break in no time from the work I do.

I think 4.7 - 5.0 is the good size. Anything higher than 5 should be a tablet.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The thought of phones only getting bigger seems to be valid for now. There is one fault though. Ergonomics. Phones these days are horrid from an ergonomic stand point. As more ppl use them more often, this will eventually become an issue and will have to be resolved. This will change devices significantly. Probably smaller, but maybe even larger.

There will also be that threshold where consumers will say enough is enough and they will want smaller devices again. This will be accompanied by the overall size of phones get smaller, but screens don't suffer that much. This is what I am hoping for.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The thought of phones only getting bigger seems to be valid for now. There is one fault though. Ergonomics. Phones these days are horrid from an ergonomic stand point. As more ppl use them more often, this will eventually become an issue and will have to be resolved. This will change devices significantly. Probably smaller, but maybe even larger.

There will also be that threshold where consumers will say enough is enough and they will want smaller devices again. This will be accompanied by the overall size of phones get smaller, but screens don't suffer that much. This is what I am hoping for.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Edge-to-edge DROID RAZR M/RAZR i-like at 4.7" would probably be tolerable for most. Still, edge-to-edge 4.3" is where I'd personally like to stay at. If they continue the M series RAZRs, I'd hope they'd do a 4.3" 1280x720 HD display (vs. qHD).

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Edge-to-edge DROID RAZR M/RAZR i-like at 4.7" would probably be tolerable for most. Still, edge-to-edge 4.3" is where I'd personally like to stay at. If they continue the M series RAZRs, I'd hope they'd do a 4.3" 1280x720 HD display (vs. qHD).

Thats what my rezound has. Not going to lie. Its pretty amazing...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't see computer monitors or televisions going smaller.
Of course, you don't have to carry them around with you either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Net-books? Ultra-books? Mac Air?

I'm really pleased the htc one hasn't gotten yet bigger. That may top my decision towards it.

arctic388

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I want a 4" screen shaped like a deck of cards with a 3000+ mAh battery and top specs. all i need it it to hotspot since i use my Nexus 7 for most things except the actual call now. i dont even use my "phone" to text with mighty text app.

Nanette Flynn

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about this today as I am starting to research my next phone. I was balking at the size of them, and then I realized, my phone is never to my head anyway, I am ALWAYS on my bluetooth. For ease of use, I am looking at a 5" screen being the size for me and my poor eyesight.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

That what I was thinking. My GF's old Razr M was a nice phone, smaller than my old Thunderbolt with the same size screen. A edge to edge screen could make a 5in screen manageable one handed. For me personally the Nexus 4 is about as wide and tall as I would want. I can barely touch all corners one handed. The Note 2 is just too damn big for me to actually use it daily. It all comes down to the size of the bezel though.

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
For me, I use a mobile device for basically everything I do on a computer. I use the internet quite a bit, and trying to read tiny text on a 2nd generation iPod Touch is frustrating. For me, I would like a screen size like the Note 2. Of course, people have different opinions and different needs. Some people like small phones, and some people like big phones. For me, I like large screens on smartphones, it makes reading small text a lot easier on the eyes.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I was kinda against phones bigger than 4.5", 4.7". After I bought a few eBooks recently....I have somewhat switched sides. The bigger the phone, the less I want a tablet.

So what would happen is I'd have a media player, gps, camera, phone and tablet all rolled into one.

T-Bone

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I use my phone for everything; notes, calendar, weather, email, texting, gps, and various apps. I especially enjoy viewing photos and videos. I don?t use it as a ?phone? very often. My point is, about 98% of my interaction with the phone is viewing and touching the screen. So for me, a phone with a larger, great looking screen would be great. But I don?t want it so big it becomes inconvenient to carry around. I need it to fit comfortably in my jeans pocket. So I?m thinking 4.7? ? 5.0?max. If I used it mostly as a ?phone? I?d probably opt for a smaller size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair