HTC DROID DNA Plus

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So I'm throwing this in here, as I had originally posted in the HTC One forums about this. After posting there I realized it belonged here and needed articulation, as I was just sounding like an ***** spewing nonsense around. In the interest of transparency I'm going to put in some seemingly irrelevant conversation so you guys can judge whether or not the salesman was being truthful to me. I've obviously made up my mind. Here we go... make sure to read the starred part if you don't read all of it.

So a few days ago I wandered into a Verizon Corperate store. I was all ready to get another Note 2 right then, but for some reason or another took a look around at their lackluster lineup of horrible phones. After a salesman asked me if he could assist me I struck up a conversation with him about the payment plans and other things. I informed him it was a fair enough workaround for people like myself to keep our unlimited data, even though we're already paying a subsidy on a phone we don't have. If they're going to keep a bunch of horrible rules, at least they gave us a workaround, right? Plus $2.50 wouldn't be breaking anyone. We discussed some other off sales/mobile topics, and when we came back to Verizon related conversation I informed him I was considering buying another Note 2. I did own a Note 2, the AT&T varient, and really truely enjoyed the device. I told him I was using it on Straight talk to shop the carrier, and in the end I was wanting to use Verizon again. I pulled out the Galaxy Nexus I've been using for a few days and said I would like something a little faster, and with some sort of battery life. He reiterated what a great device the Note 2 was and how I should purchase one. So here's where I ask the big question.
I told him I really wished Verizon had picked up the HTC One. When he asked me why, the response was that I have a young daughter and the photo stuff looked really cool for a parent. Having the loud speakers wouldn't be much benefit, however the external design was amazing and I would love to buy that phone. The salesman told me he had spoken to a rep from HTC a few days ago, and they were there to inform the staff of the Verizon store about an upcoming handset from HTC. When I asked if it was the One, he responded pretty much. The internals would all be the same, the construction should be the same. He did say it would be a little different in a few ways, however. It would not be called the One, instead doing Verizon branding as the DNA Plus. Also he said it would be "designed a little different" which I took to mean recolored. Perhaps the red version that was seen or black with red trim similar to the OG DNA will be how they go with it. The last thing, and probably the best part of it was it would be a 32GB handset.
Digesting this over a few days, I have chosen to believe this due to a few things. On again and off again rumors about the Verizon HTC One or J-Butterfly 2 have been all over. There's probably a reason Verizon passed on the phone, and it probably relates to branding and exclusivity. Verizon is a carrier that wants everything to be about them, sort of like the annoying self-centered people we meet every day. The world revolves around Verizon (as they see it) and customers will pay them what they want for whatever service they choose to sell, and the same customer will be happy if they offer us garbage handsets. We will shell out all of our money for crappy phones on their service and love them for it. If HTC pitched the One to Verizon, and they countered with the same internals, retrimmed, and branded under the DROID moniker I'm sure HTC could make that happen no problem. They shoot some paint on it and make a special box, other than that it's the same phone. A move like this can strengthen the relationship between Verizon and HTC, which isn't a bad thing for either company.
Holding out for an exclusive varient of the One would also allow them to dodge AT&T's exclusive capacity arraingement with HTC. If the phone isn't the HTC one, they can sell a 32GB version no problem. Also, this would give Verizon the time they "require" to do all their extensive testing of the new device on their network.
One final thought on the advantage of this pertains to the Galaxy S4 launch being a big deal. Samsung is footing the bill for a ton of advertising that Verizon won't have to do. If we're to assume the big Verizon announcement next month is about changes to contracts, or VoLTE, or something of the sort, it's going to be a little better to announce that you can use these new services on their new lineup of smartphones consisting of the DROID DNA Plus and the Lumia 928. If I was in their shoes, I'd use that as icing on the cake for something else and not derail Sammy's marketing juggernaut.

**The big final reason I believe what this guy said is how we ended our conversation: Don't buy the Note 2 today if you want the HTC One, just wait a month or month and a half and buy what's going to make you happier. This guy gave up his commission for the sale (if they do commission for retail price handsets) to save me $700. I did make sure to get his business card and WILL be going to him to buy this phone. It was also pretty obvious from the looks of his co-workers that he was saying some things he probably shouldn't be telling customers. They didn't look too pleased.

The reasons to not believe this are very few, so here's what I've come up with. There isn't any FCC application for this handset yet. That's not to say they cannot make this happen in a 2 week window, but we'd think it would be in the works right now anyway, right? There haven't been any leaked renders (as far as I am aware) or anything other than some bluetooth thing and the codename DLXPLUS (which DLX was the codename for the DNA). I also haven't seen any leaked screenshots of SKU numbers in a database for this thing or really any hint of Verizon selling it in the near future. Nobody has seen any training documents from HTC or VZW about the phone at all.

Take this for what it is, just a rumor that I heard from a retail employee. I do believe he was telling me the truth, or at least what he believes to be the truth. He gave off no signs of lying to me, and in general seemed to be a nice helpful guy.

I hope he was telling the truth as well.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So I'm throwing this in here, as I had originally posted in the HTC One forums about this. After posting there I realized it belonged here and needed articulation, as I was just sounding like an ***** spewing nonsense around. In the interest of transparency I'm going to put in some seemingly irrelevant conversation so you guys can judge whether or not the salesman was being truthful to me. I've obviously made up my mind. Here we go... make sure to read the starred part if you don't read all of it.

So a few days ago I wandered into a Verizon Corperate store. I was all ready to get another Note 2 right then, but for some reason or another took a look around at their lackluster lineup of horrible phones. After a salesman asked me if he could assist me I struck up a conversation with him about the payment plans and other things. I informed him it was a fair enough workaround for people like myself to keep our unlimited data, even though we're already paying a subsidy on a phone we don't have. If they're going to keep a bunch of horrible rules, at least they gave us a workaround, right? Plus $2.50 wouldn't be breaking anyone. We discussed some other off sales/mobile topics, and when we came back to Verizon related conversation I informed him I was considering buying another Note 2. I did own a Note 2, the AT&T varient, and really truely enjoyed the device. I told him I was using it on Straight talk to shop the carrier, and in the end I was wanting to use Verizon again. I pulled out the Galaxy Nexus I've been using for a few days and said I would like something a little faster, and with some sort of battery life. He reiterated what a great device the Note 2 was and how I should purchase one. So here's where I ask the big question.
I told him I really wished Verizon had picked up the HTC One. When he asked me why, the response was that I have a young daughter and the photo stuff looked really cool for a parent. Having the loud speakers wouldn't be much benefit, however the external design was amazing and I would love to buy that phone. The salesman told me he had spoken to a rep from HTC a few days ago, and they were there to inform the staff of the Verizon store about an upcoming handset from HTC. When I asked if it was the One, he responded pretty much. The internals would all be the same, the construction should be the same. He did say it would be a little different in a few ways, however. It would not be called the One, instead doing Verizon branding as the DNA Plus. Also he said it would be "designed a little different" which I took to mean recolored. Perhaps the red version that was seen or black with red trim similar to the OG DNA will be how they go with it. The last thing, and probably the best part of it was it would be a 32GB handset.
Digesting this over a few days, I have chosen to believe this due to a few things. On again and off again rumors about the Verizon HTC One or J-Butterfly 2 have been all over. There's probably a reason Verizon passed on the phone, and it probably relates to branding and exclusivity. Verizon is a carrier that wants everything to be about them, sort of like the annoying self-centered people we meet every day. The world revolves around Verizon (as they see it) and customers will pay them what they want for whatever service they choose to sell, and the same customer will be happy if they offer us garbage handsets. We will shell out all of our money for crappy phones on their service and love them for it. If HTC pitched the One to Verizon, and they countered with the same internals, retrimmed, and branded under the DROID moniker I'm sure HTC could make that happen no problem. They shoot some paint on it and make a special box, other than that it's the same phone. A move like this can strengthen the relationship between Verizon and HTC, which isn't a bad thing for either company.
Holding out for an exclusive varient of the One would also allow them to dodge AT&T's exclusive capacity arraingement with HTC. If the phone isn't the HTC one, they can sell a 32GB version no problem. Also, this would give Verizon the time they "require" to do all their extensive testing of the new device on their network.
One final thought on the advantage of this pertains to the Galaxy S4 launch being a big deal. Samsung is footing the bill for a ton of advertising that Verizon won't have to do. If we're to assume the big Verizon announcement next month is about changes to contracts, or VoLTE, or something of the sort, it's going to be a little better to announce that you can use these new services on their new lineup of smartphones consisting of the DROID DNA Plus and the Lumia 928. If I was in their shoes, I'd use that as icing on the cake for something else and not derail Sammy's marketing juggernaut.

**The big final reason I believe what this guy said is how we ended our conversation: Don't buy the Note 2 today if you want the HTC One, just wait a month or month and a half and buy what's going to make you happier. This guy gave up his commission for the sale (if they do commission for retail price handsets) to save me $700. I did make sure to get his business card and WILL be going to him to buy this phone. It was also pretty obvious from the looks of his co-workers that he was saying some things he probably shouldn't be telling customers. They didn't look too pleased.

The reasons to not believe this are very few, so here's what I've come up with. There isn't any FCC application for this handset yet. That's not to say they cannot make this happen in a 2 week window, but we'd think it would be in the works right now anyway, right? There haven't been any leaked renders (as far as I am aware) or anything other than some bluetooth thing and the codename DLXPLUS (which DLX was the codename for the DNA). I also haven't seen any leaked screenshots of SKU numbers in a database for this thing or really any hint of Verizon selling it in the near future. Nobody has seen any training documents from HTC or VZW about the phone at all.

Take this for what it is, just a rumor that I heard from a retail employee. I do believe he was telling me the truth, or at least what he believes to be the truth. He gave off no signs of lying to me, and in general seemed to be a nice helpful guy.

I hope he was telling the truth as well.

IMHO that is a lot of evidence to support your claim, I can't believe he told you all this, surly he could lose his job?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
IMHO that is a lot of evidence to support your claim, I can't believe he told you all this, surly he could lose his job?

I don't see why he would lose his job for sharing speculation. Its not like its sensitive information of the state, lol. Its not much more than what anyone else has been "leaking" since the announcement that the one was not coming to Verizon.

That being said, I am very excited to see if this phone makes it to Verizon. Do you know if he said anything about a 64gb version? Just curious, as I wouldn't personally buy a 64gb as 16 or 32 are perfect for my needs without cloud storage, but I see you mentioned the att exclusive contract with htc which involved the 64 gb version of the one, not the 32 like you mentioned. I'm sure it was just a typo, but just checking to be certain.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why he would lose his job for sharing speculation. Its not like its sensitive information of the state, lol. Its not much more than what anyone else has been "leaking" since the announcement that the one was not coming to Verizon.

That being said, I am very excited to see if this phone makes it to Verizon. Do you know if he said anything about a 64gb version? Just curious, as I wouldn't personally buy a 64gb as 16 or 32 are perfect for my needs without cloud storage, but I see you mentioned the att exclusive contract with htc which involved the 64 gb version of the one, not the 32 like you mentioned. I'm sure it was just a typo, but just checking to be certain.

Saying info about a new product, that causes issues.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
It would be good for HTC to get the ONE on Verizon. Would not be good to give it a different name and different look. I hope HTC doesn't cave to Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
@Jennifer: Pretty sure I was over tired and didn't make clear what I was trying to say. The Verizon guy said it would be 32GB, however the chances are good it could come in 64.

For the rest of you, particularly ones who don't work in sales: Him telling me information like that is considered giving out trade secrets. It's very frowned upon. With Verizon not announcing it or letting much slip about it, they're trying to not let their competition know what they're doing.

INRE to different name and look posts here and elsewhere: I don't really care what color it is or what it's called. If I had a dog, and I painted it pink and called it a pig, at the end of the day guess what.......

In any event, we should know for sure next month. Keep your eyes out for FCC filings.

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I hope it gets the snapdragon 800 :D I still need to find a way to keep unlimited though...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I hope it gets the snapdragon 800 :D I still need to find a way to keep unlimited though...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

It'll be the 600. If this is real, they're producing the handsets now.
To skirt the unlimited, I'm going to do the payment plan thing and pay it off as early as possible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I honestly wouldn't mind a droid branded one. I switched to Verizon for the droid brand...I mean, yeah, it would defeat the purpose of the one, which was supposed to be a universal phone, one phone across all carriers. But they already messed that up by offering an exclusive to att, and supposedly an exclusive now to verison, as well as releasing other HTC devices concurrently instead of just focusing on supporting the one device throughout the year. Now they have to focus on updating the first, as well as the one, and the speculated m4. Not to mention if they continue support of the dna. The one wasnt the save all for HTC like I had hoped it would be.

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I have an upgrade available at the end of May and will be looking very closely to see if HTC/Verizon come out with the One or a variant of it. I went to the the VZW store yesterday just to see the DNA and I actually liked that form factor and look a lot. If they come out with a Red/Black combo, maybe with the wireless charging still as part of it and an SD slot it would be a homerun.

The removable battery would be nice, but I have one of those battery packs I carry around with me that works great for emergency charging. If it came down to making a decision between this and a Samsung Galaxy S4 I am leaning towards the HTC device due to the 32G vs. 16G of internal memory. Might even bump up to 64G model if VZW brings it to market like the other carriers.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
There are a bunch of articles concerning three different variants of the upcoming Butterfly. This bodes well for us.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Android Central Forums

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually thinking the next HTC Verizon phone will be a m4 mid range variant. It would make sense if the dna is supposed to be the Verizon one. HTC has a real habit of catering to Verizon every whim

Sent from my SCH-I535

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually thinking the next HTC Verizon phone will be a m4 mid range variant. It would make sense if the dna is supposed to be the Verizon one. HTC has a real habit of catering to Verizon every whim

Sent from my SCH-I535

I will be very disappointed if they bring the m4 or a varient instead of the one or a varient of it.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I will be very disappointed if they bring the m4 or a varient instead of the one or a varient of it.

As will I. In fact, I might leave them over that. I've been on them with unlimited and no contact for some time.

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not certain it will matter to me. The ONE won't do wireless charging - which is something I really want in my next phone.

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm not certain it will matter to me. The ONE won't do wireless charging - which is something I really want in my next phone.

Agree that is a great feature of the DNA. Really nice if you have the infrastructure to make use of it in your car, home, office......
I think it will still be a good 12 to 18 months before you see the availability of Qi or PMA based charging stations everywhere. Also need more and more phones to have it built in without the need for a sleeve/case.

You could see a Verizon version of the One (DNA+) in a form factor more similar to the the DNA with the wireless charging still there. Hopefully will know on May 22nd when VZW makes its announcement.

Big month with Google I/O in three weeks and this announcement the week after.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
That is my hope. I do not personally care about wireless charging, however if they made other inclusions such as a slightly larger screen and higher capacity battery, I'd be all for it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon