Leaving iPhone. Want One or S4....BUT other new phones on the way??

MrCGym

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm on AT&T. I'd rather not buy a phone full price so I go with the contract (I'm gonna have a cell phone anyway, right?) I was torn between the S4 and HTC One. I'd say One hands-down if it had a removable battery and an SD card slot. But it doesn't. Now I'm reading about possible newer phone coming out in the next month or 2? Of course I'd get a phone this week and then one I LOVE would likely come out.

Does anyone really think a newer, better than S4 or One, phone would come out in the next 3 months? I can wait but I don't know for how long.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm on AT&T. I'd rather not buy a phone full price so I go with the contract (I'm gonna have a cell phone anyway, right?) I was torn between the S4 and HTC One. I'd say One hands-down if it had a removable battery and an SD card slot. But it doesn't. Now I'm reading about possible newer phone coming out in the next month or 2? Of course I'd get a phone this week and then one I LOVE would likely come out.

Does anyone really think a newer, better than S4 or One, phone would come out in the next 3 months? I can wait but I don't know for how long.

Of course, there will always potentially be something better around the corner. In three months we might get Motorola's next flagship. Within three months after that, we might get the new Nexus. The point is if you want and/or need a new phone now, then don't wait for the next big thing. Otherwise, you're going to be continuously waiting for the latest and greatest.

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Exactly what Mooem said. There will ALWAYS be something better around the corner, but you have to take the plunge sometime, or you will spend all your time waiting for the next best thing. The real question is do you NEED a new phone, or do you WANT a new phone? If you NEED one then get one now, if it is just a WANT then there is no harm in waiting a few months.

MrCGym

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't need one. I want one. I'm HATING iPhone. I may give it a month or 2. Plus, I'm not excited with the rugged cases for these newer, bigger phones. There isn't much available yet for the One in regards to tough cases.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
In the next three months, probably not. In the next five months we'll likely see the next Nexus, the iPhone 5S, the Note III, and the X phone from Moto.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Of course, there will always potentially be something better around the corner.

That's true and normally I'd agree with this position but this year is different. We knew the Snapdragon 800 with a significant increase in power over the 600 was coming out before either chip appeared in a phone. It's also expected that flexible displays will start being introduced by the end of this year. I think this year might be the year to wait. The S4 is mostly gimmicks and the HTC One speakers should be standard on all Android phones but it's not enough for me to part with my money.

I think there will a be significant difference in technology by the end of the year and I am personally waiting to see. But if you absolutely need a phone then either get a used one to carry you through.

MrCGym

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The beauty of my situation is I am not in NEED of a phone. I was literally pulling into the AT&T parking lot when I read this post. Now I'm not convinced I should upgrade now, rather I should wait a bit more....until the end of this year or so. I wish I had a better idea of what to expect in 6-8 months.

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I upgrade with what I think is best on the day I can upgrade. If you wait there is always something better in a couple months. Start looking a little before the upgrade, pick what you think is best from your carrier and go for it. Luckily I have a phone and a hotspot on my account and have them so I can upgrade once a year. I don't need to upgrade the hotspot all that often.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I upgrade with what I think is best on the day I can upgrade. If you wait there is always something better in a couple months. Start looking a little before the upgrade, pick what you think is best from your carrier and go for it. Luckily I have a phone and a hotspot on my account and have them so I can upgrade once a year. I don't need to upgrade the hotspot all that often.

My opinion of the top 5 devices right now are Nexus 4 > HTC One = S4 > LG Optimus Pro > Galaxy Note 2... tomorrow that might be different and in 3 months it definitely will be different.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My opinion of the top 5 devices right now are Nexus 4 > HTC One = S4 > LG Optimus Pro > Galaxy Note 2... tomorrow that might be different and in 3 months it definitely will be different.

This is where I am as well. I'm considering a second phone to compliment but not replace my Nexus 4.

Galaxy S4 didn't do it for me. I hate physical home buttons (which is why I never considered an iPhone either) and I stopped being a Samsung user after they started putting gimmicky features on their devices. And touchwiz is a disgrace.

HTC One I liked better but again with their button layout - I hate it too. If I have to double-tap to do anything on a phone forget it.

The LGOG Pro and Xperia phones didn't impress me at all.

I get it that these companies are trying to differentiate themselves. But my overall impression of them was that different didn't equate to better. So I'm holding out for the X Phone and Nexus 5.

deedoss

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I'd wait until the stock android S4 comes out. I really hate TouchWiz, despise it really.

Stock Android just feels cleaner and faster to me. Plus, the S4 is really nice. If you don't want the S4 then I'd probably go with the HTC One X. That was my old phone, and I miss it so much. The speeds on that thing were better than the S4. My only problem was that it wasn't stock Android. I'm really picky about my Interface/OS.

Yilun808

May 8, 2013
Visit site
For me, it was easy because I got the HTC One early May. At the time, AT&T had a promotion for trade-in upgrade where they'd give you $100 cash back towards the purchase of your new phone. At the same time, HTC had the same deal where if you purchased the new HTC One and turned in any old paper weight, they'd pony up $100 as well. So I essentially got my HTC One for free, which was obviously a no brainer.

So far, I'm extremely happy with the decision I've made so far. One month into my ownership of the phone and I'm still in the honeymoon phase. The phone is gorgeous, the features are all very practical and real-world applicable (as opposed to the gimmicky tricks featured on the S4), and the speakers/sound is fantastic. I use this phone in ways that I imagine most other casual android users would use them: internet browsing, youtubing, music/radio-listening, GPS/Navigation/Maps, phone, text-chatting, social media, and pictures. And in those day to day functions, it has worked almost flawlessly. 4G LTE speeds are impeccable and battery life is very solid. I don't see battery being a problem at all considering most people will keep their smart phones only a maximum of 2 years at the most these days with contracts setup the way they are. And by that time, you'd be switching to a new phone anyways so why worry about being able to replace a battery? It's not something that's going to be top-of-mind most of the time anyways.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For me, it was easy because I got the HTC One early May. At the time, AT&T had a promotion for trade-in upgrade where they'd give you $100 cash back towards the purchase of your new phone. At the same time, HTC had the same deal where if you purchased the new HTC One and turned in any old paper weight, they'd pony up $100 as well. So I essentially got my HTC One for free, which was obviously a no brainer.

So far, I'm extremely happy with the decision I've made so far. One month into my ownership of the phone and I'm still in the honeymoon phase. The phone is gorgeous, the features are all very practical and real-world applicable (as opposed to the gimmicky tricks featured on the S4), and the speakers/sound is fantastic. I use this phone in ways that I imagine most other casual android users would use them: internet browsing, youtubing, music/radio-listening, GPS/Navigation/Maps, phone, text-chatting, social media, and pictures. And in those day to day functions, it has worked almost flawlessly. 4G LTE speeds are impeccable and battery life is very solid. I don't see battery being a problem at all considering most people will keep their smart phones only a maximum of 2 years at the most these days with contracts setup the way they are. And by that time, you'd be switching to a new phone anyways so why worry about being able to replace a battery? It's not something that's going to be top-of-mind most of the time anyways.

Glad you're happy with it. :)

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, well I'm on Big Red and there doesn't sound like anything good in the works for them. I like the sound of the Sony Xperia, and HTC One. Neither are coming to Big Red. I saw where there was a possibility of a variant of the HTC One that Verizon might be picking up, but it was just rumor with no real substance other than a few story items aligning. Meanwhile, I still have a few months before I can even think about changing up, so I'm patiently waiting, and watching all of these really nice sounding devices go to these other carriers. I am an HTC Fanboy so I would prefer a HTC device, but that Sony sure sounded nice. Moto and Sammy can keep whatever they are peddling going on down the road, even if I have to wait until Christmas. If I have to wait much past that I'll probably cave. Just being honest.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't need one. I want one. I'm HATING iPhone. I may give it a month or 2. Plus, I'm not excited with the rugged cases for these newer, bigger phones. There isn't much available yet for the One in regards to tough cases.

I'm with AT&T and bought an Incipio case for the One in the store. It has two layers and the back is brushed silver. Very striking looking, great protection. Sorry, don't know exact name of it.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The biggest challenge with Android is THERE is ALWAYS a new cool, awesome, hot phone around the corner, where as with the iturd you have to wait a full year or longer for a warmed over model (every other year a newish refreshed) version. Android just makes getting a new phone so hard. I got one two weeks ago, swapped it out 3 days later for a bigger one, regretted that and going back to a smaller one. But in 5 months or so I will likely be looking at the GN3, that is IF the specs are truly there.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, well I'm on Big Red and there doesn't sound like anything good in the works for them. I like the sound of the Sony Xperia, and HTC One. Neither are coming to Big Red. I saw where there was a possibility of a variant of the HTC One that Verizon might be picking up, but it was just rumor with no real substance other than a few story items aligning. Meanwhile, I still have a few months before I can even think about changing up, so I'm patiently waiting, and watching all of these really nice sounding devices go to these other carriers. I am an HTC Fanboy so I would prefer a HTC device, but that Sony sure sounded nice. Moto and Sammy can keep whatever they are peddling going on down the road, even if I have to wait until Christmas. If I have to wait much past that I'll probably cave. Just being honest.

I think the gap in a new HTC for Verizon will be resolved by fall in time for the holiday shopping season. So I think you will be in luck.